The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see Scarecrow done justice. I think, particurlaly, that what James Tynion IV is doing with him on the Batman title has been great. He's never been so creepy, as He should be, imo.

I read that first issue and wasn't that impressed with that Scarecrow, unless there's more to it, even his look. I haven't read much of Tynion, but his stuff on Batman hasn't really impressed me. His original stuff seems to be where it's more at. Batman for me since New 52 has been like Dan Slott's Spider-Man. I was just reading it out of habit and not that engaged. I enjoyed Tomasi's Detective stuff though. But it needs someone to really jolt it with a new life. Like Al Ewing Immortal Hulk jolt.

The best Scarecrow is The New Adventures of Batman.

I read that first issue and wasn't that impressed with that Scarecrow, unless there's more to it, even his look. I haven't read much of Tynion, but his stuff on Batman hasn't really impressed me. His original stuff seems to be where it's more at. Batman for me since New 52 has been like Dan Slott's Spider-Man. I was just reading it out of habit and not that engaged. I enjoyed Tomasi's Detective stuff though. But it needs someone to really jolt it with a new life. Like Al Ewing Immortal Hulk jolt.

The best Scarecrow is The New Adventures of Batman.

I'd say Detective Comics is the best title right now, by Mariko Tamaki. You really see a detective Batman there.

And Immortal Hulk is basically a masterpiece by Ewing!

I'd say Detective Comics is the best title right now, by Mariko Tamaki. You really see a detective Batman there.

And Immortal Hulk is basically a masterpiece by Ewing!

I happened to get interrupted buying comics right before Tamaki's run began. What's the general story?

Ewing's Hulk is classic comic run. The best run on a superhero comic I've read since I've been collecting for ten years.

As someone else put it on Twitter awhile back, I’d really like for this film to be to the greater Batman universe what Iron Man was to the MCU, in that the most extraordinary thing about that movie was the high-tech suits and the things like Gods/Infinity Stones/talking raccoons came later.

If Reeves wants to start at a place of “realism,” then that’s fine. Start with just a dude in a costume. But I’d like to see things eventually unfold to the point where a bat-creature, a dude in a cryonic suit and a mud-man are welcomed.

I happened to get interrupted buying comics right before Tamaki's run began. What's the general story?

Ewing's Hulk is classic comic run. The best run on a superhero comic I've read since I've been collecting for ten years.

It's mainly about the murder of a woman called Sarah Worth, who happens to be the daughter of a pretty powerful richman from Gotham. Mr. Worth. It's been a good mystery so far, and the Mr. Worth looks like an interesting addition to the Bat-universe.

Also, also related to the mystery, I believe, they'll be introducing a new villain, called Vile. Another bizarre baddie for the Bat-verse. I have high expectations for the book.

Btw, I totally agree about Immortal Hulk.

As someone else put it on Twitter awhile back, I’d really like for this film to be to the greater Batman universe what Iron Man was to the MCU, in that the most extraordinary thing about that movie was the high-tech suits and the things like Gods/Infinity Stones/talking raccoons came later.

If Reeves wants to start at a place of “realism,” then that’s fine. Start with just a dude in a costume. But I’d like to see things eventually unfold to the point where a bat-creature, a dude in a cryonic suit and a mud-man are welcomed.
Maybe the idea is to flesh it out and hand it over to another director for a fourth movie, where they can incorporate some of the monster villains. I just think it’s too early to bring in the mud blobs and creatures. New blood comes in with Reeves producing, and they evolve the world from there.

It's mainly about the murder of a woman called Sarah Worth, who happens to be the daughter of a pretty powerful richman from Gotham. Mr. Worth. It's been a good mystery so far, and the Mr. Worth looks like an interesting addition to the Bat-universe.

Also, also related to the mystery, I believe, they'll be introducing a new villain, called Vile. Another bizarre baddie for the Bat-verse. I have high expectations for the book.

Btw, I totally agree about Immortal Hulk.

Oh, that sounds interesting. :up: I might check that out then.

If Catwoman gets that Spin off I wouldn't mind getting other guys like Black Mask, Maroni, Zsasz, maybe some more of Penguin.

I think Scarecrow V. Selina could be interesting because tbh. The whole "Scarecrow shows Batman fear, Batman overcomes Fear, Scarecrow is shocked, Scarecrow gets a taste of his own Fear" thing has been done in basically every single Scarecrow adaptation.

Putting the Fear toxin against someone not as impenetrable as Bruce could elevate Scarecrow a little and maybe bring up some trauma for Selina instead of her just being the "Confident, yet Cocky thief, who's soft and caring under it all." Thing.

And I’m counting on a winter sequel too. Just a hunch based on Reeves’ even number films all being set in the winter. GCPD will likely be a summer or fall 2018 time period (approximately a year prior to The Batman). Which means Bruce first put on the cape and cowl in the spring of 2018.

Matt likes change it up so I’d bet a lot of money on him making his very own Batman Returns including his Penguin & Catwoman. Safe to say we’ll be seeing either Two Face in a gothic winter or maybe Mr Freeze.
The Batman is dripping with Batman 1966 influence. The villain choices are plucked straight out of that series. Mr. Freeze would be a smart bet, considering his frequent appearances in the series. It’s a shame that Mads Mikkelsen is so overexposed as a genre villain. He’d be perfect for Freeze.

58D92E39-ED48-43AD-B3E7-26371B08CECD.jpeg

Mad Hatter appeared in the show too, can anyone remind me where that Mad Hatter rumor came from? It was casting sides for Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, and Mad Hatter I think. Has there been any more evidence that Mad Hatter is in this? I wouldn’t put it past Matt Reeves (a self professed Batman 1966 fan).

Barry posted an instagram where he's posed under a top hat.

The biggest missed opportunity from the Batman 1966 show was the lack of Two-Face. The animated movie from a few years back didn’t quite scratch the itch for me.

The tv series did feature an obscure Batman villain ‘False Face’ though. He was certainly more sinister than the average villain on the show, and left a strong impression in his few appearances.
D4382E0C-CAA8-49A9-BBD0-96F30FEECB5E.jpeg

He reappeared later in an episode of Batman Beyond.
D737C1E0-582D-4527-B25D-BE978A957E8A.jpeg

Similarly, the animated ‘The Batman’ tv show suffered from a lack of Harvey Dent. He’s honestly not as overutilized as some think. TDK did a decent job with Harvey Dent, but he served that (great) story more than anything. I want the gangster, multiple personality Two-Face.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the sequel features Two-Face and/or Mister Freeze.

Matt Reeves is a longtime fan, I don’t know if he’d be particularly anxious to adapt a relatively new villain like Hush or the Court of Owls. He grew up with stuff like the 66 series. We keep hearing The Long Halloween/Dark Victory mentioned as well. The logical villains for a sequel would be names like Mad Hatter, Freeze, Two-Face, Poison Ivy.

EPp-Bp-RBWo-AA0h-Et.jpg

He would knock it out of the park, bummer if he’s really just a crooked cop!

Are we thinking Robin in the second film or third? I mean even The Hollywood Reporter has casually mentioned that there are big plans for the Bat-family in this universe.

I keep my mind clear and free of thoughts on sequels until we see this movie.

Are we thinking Robin in the second film or third? I mean even The Hollywood Reporter has casually mentioned that there are big plans for the Bat-family in this universe.
I think there will be hints in the first movie, and Robin will play a role in the series. I think it's long overdue and shouldn't be met with apprehension.

Robin is probably coming into the third. Probably a introduction in the second if I had to guess.

I’ve been reading old scoop articles and the ones that got a lot right about Selina, Edward and Oswald’s involvement (and the kind of actors they’re looking for) said they were looking for a Hatter played by somebody between 40-50. Maybe it was changed to a 20 something just like Jonah Hill transitioned into Colin Farrell. But that would be weird if Keoghan was just Merkel or Firefly and we have a separate Mad Hatter added to the mix.

I agree about new villains needing some time. What’s the rush? Older villains deserve the spotlight before brand new ones.

Please no robin...
Robin allows Batman to be a mentor, which would be perfect for Pattinson's Batman after he himself learns valuable lessons. I want to see that component again in live action. Haly's Circus seems like a good entry point here, as it was an operation run by the Court of Owls.

Robin allows Batman to be a mentor, which would be perfect for Pattinson's Batman after he himself learns valuable lessons. I want to see that component again in live action. Haly's Circus seems like a good entry point here, as it was an operation run by the Court of Owls.
Yeeeeah that's alright. I mean I wouldn't hate it but would just prefer him left out of things.

I couldn’t be happier that she’s covering her head/hair. Never made sense to me that she’d let her hair fly all over the place at a potential crime scene.

Did anyone see the Bautista quote today about how he’d play Bane super menacing but super calm? I love it. He also said he’d get back up to 320 pounds for the role. Dave just got a role in Knives Out 2 and of course he’s in Dune. It’s funny because I’ve been following him since before he got called up to the main WWE roster back in 2002. So it was like 2001 maybe when he was in their training camp playing a demonic character, and I was obsessed with him. They never gave him a standout gimmick though, so he never excelled in that area until he went to Hollywood and made us all laugh as Drax. Now he’s a pretty solid actor for a former wrestler and understands quality filmmakers.

Dave would be a great asset to Matt Reeves’ trilogy if he decides to use Bane as Penguin’s assassin or something like that. An intelligent one at that. I don’t think Reeves will use Bane mind you, but it would be a damn shame if Bautista never got to play Bane.
Using Bane as just a hired lackey seems like a waste of the character though. He’s way more complex than that.

I wouldn’t argue with Bautista as Bane, but I really hope we get some rogues that haven’t gotten the big screen treatment yet.

The first three we’re getting have all been done before (to be fair, two out of the three haven’t been in a film in over 25 years) so I hope the sequels give us the likes of Hugo Strange, Mad Hatter, Court of Owls, Man-Bat

YES IM STILL HOLDING OUT HOPE FOR MAN-BAT!
I’d love to see Man-Bat in the next Suicide Squad movie! He recently tangled with them in his current mini series!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"