The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn’t be happier that she’s covering her head/hair. Never made sense to me that she’d let her hair fly all over the place at a potential crime scene.

Did anyone see the Bautista quote today about how he’d play Bane super menacing but super calm? I love it. He also said he’d get back up to 320 pounds for the role. Dave just got a role in Knives Out 2 and of course he’s in Dune. It’s funny because I’ve been following him since before he got called up to the main WWE roster back in 2002. So it was like 2001 maybe when he was in their training camp playing a demonic character, and I was obsessed with him. They never gave him a standout gimmick though, so he never excelled in that area until he went to Hollywood and made us all laugh as Drax. Now he’s a pretty solid actor for a former wrestler and understands quality filmmakers.

Dave would be a great asset to Matt Reeves’ trilogy if he decides to use Bane as Penguin’s assassin or something like that. An intelligent one at that. I don’t think Reeves will use Bane mind you, but it would be a damn shame if Bautista never got to play Bane.

Bautista's a fine choice. But I'm positively certain that's his ceiling. With the bar that Hardy set, it would feel too big of a downgrade. Regardless of how more physically fitting he is.

It's a lot like Affleck/Batman for me. Absolutely ecstatic with the announcement. Constantly stared in awe at how comic-accurate he looked. And he ultimately was solid in role. But it was all surface traits. I was never caught off guard or surprised by acting choices or line delivery. As much as I cheered Ben on, I still knew his predecessors could act circles around him. Everything I expected I got, and that doesn't have a lasting impact. 5 years later, and I couldn't care less that Ben has moved on from this part. Meanwhile I do still look back favorably on Keaton and Bale's runs.

Dave is no bad choice by any means. But we can do a lot better if you look past honoring the pictures on the page as a priority.

If he’s a supporting villain like...Penguin hires him to take down Batman, then I’d be more than happy to bring Dave into that spot. I don’t think you need another Hardy and there isn’t another Hardy caliber actor who fits Bane right now IMO. Dave used his henchmen role from Spectre as a comparison but obviously with more intelligence and impact on the main plot. I like that because he not only nails a 40 something Bane physically (fans who didn’t like Hardy’s height or size should be happy - yes I know those ppl are nuts). But I think he brings something more to his roles. He had like one scene in Bladerunner (+ the prequel short film) and guess what? He brought so much humanity and brains to something so small.

I actually think Dave is criminally underrated.

Bane is one of my favourite villains, especially with his prison origins. But I'd give him a rest for the time being given the early days timeline of Pattinson's Batman.

Bane is one of my favourite villains, especially with his prison origins. But I'd give him a rest for the time being given the early days timeline of Pattinson's Batman.
Well we do have the Arkham Origins approach.

I wouldn’t mind a Bane movie instead.

Well we do have the Arkham Origins approach.
I like the idea Bane appears in Batman's life after his reputation has reached mythic status, which comes from a long career. But yes, the Origins route could work as well. Hardy's Bane is excellent but there's room for improvement going forward given several achievements were transferred to Talia.

I wouldn’t mind a Bane movie instead.
A solo Bane movie which adapted the origins verbatim would be spectacular.

I wouldn’t argue with Bautista as Bane, but I really hope we get some rogues that haven’t gotten the big screen treatment yet.

The first three we’re getting have all been done before (to be fair, two out of the three haven’t been in a film in over 25 years) so I hope the sequels give us the likes of Hugo Strange, Mad Hatter, Court of Owls, Man-Bat

YES IM STILL HOLDING OUT HOPE FOR MAN-BAT!

I wouldn’t argue with Bautista as Bane, but I really hope we get some rogues that haven’t gotten the big screen treatment yet.

The first three we’re getting have all been done before (to be fair, two out of the three haven’t been in a film in over 25 years) so I hope the sequels give us the likes of Hugo Strange, Mad Hatter, Court of Owls, Man-Bat

YES IM STILL HOLDING OUT HOPE FOR MAN-BAT!
The Court of Owls is my hope. The trailer alludes to their presence. Hints across the first and second films with a grand reveal for the third would be my preference. The likes of Man-Bat and Clayface may be too fantastical for what Reeves has in mind. But we’ll see.

If they‘d ever decide to introduce Bane again (which I also don‘t think they will), then I think Matthias Schoenaerts would be the ideal man to take on the character. One of the few men who‘s both a great actor and can be really physically imposing (if he bulks up).

I honestly don’t really want to see Bane again unless Bautista is playing him. He’s so perfect for the role, it’s stupid.

The only villains I REALLY want to see in these films are Two-Face, Joker, Mr. Freeze, and Poison Ivy.

Definite No's are the Al Ghuls.

Middle ground would be pretty much everyone else. I never cared much for Man Bat but I think there are plenty of ways to adjust his character that could make him Wholly more interesting.

I doubt we will see Bane, or the Al Ghuls in this trilogy. The villains I'm expecting are obviously Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman, but also Mad Hatter, Firefly, POSSIBLY Mr. Freeze, Joker and Two Face.

I honestly don’t really want to see Bane again unless Bautista is playing him. He’s so perfect for the role, it’s stupid.
Exactly my thoughts on Bane.

I don’t want him as a main villain either because you can always do a spin-off solo movie if you want to put more focus on him.

View attachment 45729

The great Lee Bermejo has made me realize how badly I want to see Man-Bat in this series!
This art is suddenly making me want to see this on screen. And I’ve never been a Man Bat fan.

My pick for a 40 something Mr Freeze is also my choice for Man Bat if Reeves decides to go that route. Alexander Skarsgard (after seeing him in Hold The Dark with Jeffrey Wright and Big Little Lies). Big Bat Theory had this great idea that I’ve been back and forth on where he’s Hugo Strange’s patient who is more of a murderous Batman copycat. I think that’s creative, but you can also be literal with him becoming a monster. Unless Reeves says no to metahumans altogether. But Skarsgard is like 6 foot 5 or something and would be perfect as a smart but an extremely dark mess in the Cronenberg tradition. Plus he’s Swedish so it’s too perfect.

Apparently he’s playing an insanely violent lead in The Northman. So that just makes me want to see a Pattinson vs Skarsgard (not Bill!) battle on screen.

I doubt we will see Bane, or the Al Ghuls in this trilogy. The villains I'm expecting are obviously Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman, but also Mad Hatter, Firefly, POSSIBLY Mr. Freeze, Joker and Two Face.
The Trevino sent me this and it’s the only time I’ve seen a version of Freeze that could work in a world like this...
6B5E1275-6473-43EF-B75C-1828BA8A4E6B.jpeg

Thematically it’s right up Reeves’ alley. The only thing holding him back is if he has more passion for another character. Otherwise the more likely candidates are the deep dive for Two-Face, some kind of reinvention of Clayface and Hugo Strange.

The Trevino sent me this and it’s the only time I’ve seen a version of Freeze that could work in a world like this...
Thematically it’s right up Reeves’ alley. The only thing holding him back is if he has more passion for another character. Otherwise the more likely candidates are the deep dive for Two-Face, some kind of reinvention of Clayface and Hugo Strange.
I could totally see something like that. Freeze may be difficult to adapt for Reeves world, but I could see him finding a way to bring Freeze into live action. The aesthetic of that design lines up perfectly.

And I’m counting on a winter sequel too. Just a hunch based on Reeves’ even number films all being set in the winter. GCPD will likely be a summer or fall 2018 time period (approximately a year prior to The Batman). Which means Bruce first put on the cape and cowl in the spring of 2018.

Matt likes change it up so I’d bet a lot of money on him making his very own Batman Returns including his Penguin & Catwoman. Safe to say we’ll be seeing either Two Face in a gothic winter or maybe Mr Freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"