The Batman Reboot JOKER Casting Thread

Everyone knows who The Joker is, though.

Everyone knows who The Joker is, though.
I just mean we don't get to see the Joker and Batman's first encounter, having him in Suicide Squad would suggest the Batman had already takin him down, an we don't get to see how (unless its in flashbacks)

I know we are getting an older veteran Batman, not an origin story, with a young rookie Batman, so, it makes Sense that he's already fought the Joker, an I guess it does establishes a history of him

but, still

Both Ledger and Nicholson's Jokers were one-shot, flash-in-the-pan antagonists who Batman faced for the first and last time. It would be refreshing to see the Joker as Batman's oldest and deadliest nemesis.

Both Ledger and Nicholson's Jokers were one-shot, flash-in-the-pan antagonists who Batman faced for the first and last time. It would be refreshing to see the Joker as Batman's oldest and deadliest nemesis.

To be fair, there were plans to have the Joker come back if not for the unfortunate incident with Heath.

^ ya, I dont mind the Leto rumor (I could see him as the Joker)
but, not really keen on the idea of Joker showing up in Suicide Squad, without him being induced into the new Batman movies first

Well I never I read SS on comics so I don't know if it's good idra or not to have him in the film. If we're getting older Batman (Ben Affeck) I want a older Joker too (William Defoe) for me.

Well I never I read SS on comics so I don't know if it's good idra or not to have him in the film. If we're getting older Batman (Ben Affeck) I want a older Joker too (William Defoe) for me.

Leto is actually the same age as Affleck as hard as it may seem to believe.

o-JARED-LETO-OSCARS-facebook.jpg

Yes Leto and Affleck are the same age. Typically Batman and Joker are shown to be close in age in the comics. So concerns about Leto's youth are unwarranted.

^ Yes:up:. Batman and the Joker should be around the same age.

EXACTLY!! One thing that has never been portrayed in the movies

Totally agree. With TDK/TDKR, things would've been different if things were different :/

But yes it'll be great to see this new Joker, i think he'll give us what fans have been calling for.

TDKReturns and Morrison's Arkham should DEFINITELY be the primary influences on this version

I kind of like that they're starting with a hystery implied. BM89 already did the origin and TDK showed him as a force of nature. It makes sense for them to skip over what we've all seen in the past to show us something knew. Anything differences in this version can be portrayed in a few lines of diologue. Any important ones that is.

Leto is actually the same age as Affleck as hard as it may seem to believe.

o-JARED-LETO-OSCARS-facebook.jpg

Amazing how both look 42 years old. I always thought Joker to be few years older than Batman. I hope Leto will nail it if chosen to play the role I guess Leto will play Joker again in a Batffeck film.

Last edited:
Jake Gyllenhaal would be an interesting choice. He has the look and he has grown to become one of the most versatile actors out there right now. I haven't seen Nightcrawler yet but he looks perfect for Joker and his performance is apparently maniacally brilliant.

Jared Leto is an intriguing choice for Joker.
However, I prefer to see him as The Riddler instead. The character of Edward Nygma needs to finally be taken seriously. Leto could have made it so, he's really talented.
I imagine a portrayal that would have blown us away, just as Heath Ledger did in Dark Knight.
I also count Philip Seymour Hoffman and The Penguin to be something similar (sadly that's too late)

But the question is if the surprise factor would be as big. We already know what Leto can bring (and Hoffman could have brought) to the table.
Does it really have to be an out-of-the-box actor every time for this to happen?

Last edited:
JGL almost looks identical to Ledger and could play a good Joker, but he's already Robin :(

JGL almost looks identical to Ledger and could play a good Joker, but he's already Robin :(
this is for a reboot version of the character, we don't need a Ledger look-a-like anyway

Robin John Blake ... Still shaking my head. You have the perfect older Grayson in JGL, but instead Nolan gave us that **** ...

Well, i wouldn't want Dick Grayson in that world. Mid to late 20s? If Grayson shows up in any world, i want him to have a history as a kid (teenager at least) where he was Robin. If Nolan brought in JGL as Grayson, people would assume he would be Nightwing 100 percent in another film, or some Batman & Robin team-up. That wasn't the point of the character or story.

Im happy he was his own character, but with some nods to past Robins.

In this day and age, Dick Grayson is best used with a Robin/Nightwing history. In a universe where a Jason Todd, Tim Drake or Carrie Kelly could come after. Dick serves better in a DC shared universe in my opinion. So im content with how Nolan handled it. We're in a new era. The multiple sidekicks, the Teen-Titans, Justice League, more superheroes....that fits Grayson.

Robin John Blake ... Still shaking my head. You have the perfect older Grayson in JGL, but instead Nolan gave us that **** ...

HA! So true. Everyone gasped with excitement when I saw TDKR in the cinema, they genuinely thought there was going to be another sequel featuring 'Robin'...no awareness of the Grayson mythos :doh:

Last edited:
HA! So true. Everyone gasped with excitement when I saw TDKR in the cinema, they genuinely thought there was going to be another sequel featuring 'Robin'...no awareness of the Grayson mythos :doh:
I was excited at first because I LOVE all Robins. Until i realized how ****** Nolan's Robin was. I wish there wasn't even a nod. It was so half assed that it shouldn't have even been attempted. I'd rather he just stay "John Blake" with no nod to Robin. It was too much of a tease

It was because he served as a Robin to Bruce's Batman throughout the film. The orphanage backstory, helping Batman out in the final act, believing in the cause. But he wasn't purely Dick Grayson in character. Nor would it be fair to put Dick's history all on JGL (like i mentioned with fans' expectations of him wearing a red or blue suit). Nolan took the risk, probably knowing half would like it, half would hate it.

Regardless, Nolan should be allowed to do it his way because we all know Dick Grayson would return at some point in a new DC universe that would fit him better anyway. I think everybody wins.

Anyways back to Joker!

With a few small changes, JGL could've been a great Dick Grayson in TDKR. if things were just ever so slightly reworked, we could've gotten an acceptable Dick Grayson in TDKR.

The whole adoption thing would be done away with, and the father/son dynamic could be reworked so JGL's Dick saw Bruce more of a mentor and an inspiration instead.

John Blake will bother me less if we get a legit Dick Grayson this time around. It's just a bummer because JGL would be the perfect Dick Grayson. I've wanted that to happen since i saw Brick in 06.

I love TDKR, but i would've done some things differently. Imo is the weakest of the Nolan trilogy, not by a lot, as they're all amazing movies. The John Blake thing just does not sit well with me at all. It's weird. I loved that twist at first. I was ****ing ecstatic. Then later it hit me how much i hated it. I just wished they didn't attempt anything like that at all.

If you're going to do Robin. Do it right. Don't half ass it like that.

Back to Joker though. I don't know how healthy it'd be, but if Leto got super thin again for Joker that'd be a crazy look. He's a skinny guy already though, so if he stays his regular body weight it won't be a problem. at all. He has a perfect build for Joker already.

I was looking at his nose and it's very Joker esque. Heath looked like Joker with the makeup, but his nose didn't have the thin pointy look that comics Joker always has.

I'm all for some prosthetics for Joker's nose. And it might be crazy to suggest this, but maybe they could do some CGI enhancements on the smile to make it look crazier? You can't get anything close to the comic Joker's smile without some CGI or some other special effects method

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"