The Best, The Penguin

Burgess Meredith was the best Penguin of them all!
If he would have lived right now, he should have been cast again!
From the 60's series he was the closest that it came towards any of the other characters.
bat_meredith_penguin.jpg

If they could only afford a descent tailor!

There is pictures of Penguins on the wall. Is that over the top?

Cobblepot said:
If they could only afford a descent tailor!

What was wrong with his costume??

Two Face said:
There is pictures of Penguins on the wall. Is that over the top?

It was the camp 60's Batman.Everything was over the top ;)

There's nothing wrong with his costume it's just oversized a bit, Meredith was a small man.

Penguin works better with a scarred psyche, and is more imposing as a darker figure. but then again i always thought the idea of Penguin was rather absurd, short little fat man with long pointy nose controls mob and has umbrellas.

i love the mutant freak of the sewer, i don't think i could say that enough

DeVito owned

newwaveboy87 said:
Penguin works better with a scarred psyche, and is more imposing as a darker figure. but then again i always thought the idea of Penguin was rather absurd, short little fat man with long pointy nose controls mob and has umbrellas.

i love the mutant freak of the sewer, i don't think i could say that enough

DeVito owned

I couldn´t agree withyou more!
The Penguin wasn´t such an interesting villain before BR
So I also love the mutant freak of the sewer!

I think that they all brought something to the mix. Burgess was the original, clad in classic Penguin garb at the time. Also with the *Wheh Wheh* laugh. Nobody can forget that.

Devito gave us an amazing look at the Penguin with Tim Burton. He was still a dirty businessman underneath all the creepyness, and he still had the *Wheh Wheh* laugh.

Williams gave us the businessman in the form of Devito's appearance. He was well-spoken (vocabulary-wise), and he was borderline legit (to a point).

All three had an impact on the character. All of them positive.

Emerald Knight said:
Without Danny Devito as the Penguin, would they have had the similar appearance in the Animated Series?

They were forced to use the DeVito appearance in TAS. When the series changed to WB, they used the classic comic book appearance.

With DeVito the Penguin was mopre than a parody or a average chubby guy.

All of them are great, but DeVito's was the most developed and interesting of the three, so I'm going with him.

Eh, the whole freak of the sewer thing..

it always reminded me of the Killer Crock. In fact, the whole origin and everything was pretty much the Killer Crock.

Hades said:
Eh, the whole freak of the sewer thing..

it always reminded me of the Killer Crock. In fact, the whole origin and everything was pretty much the Killer Crock.

Like your avatar. Lol.

Seriously, you're right but I think it's because Burton wanted to make it a monster-man instead an average short guy with an umbrella. OR could it be called 'character fusion with dramatic purposes'

Emerald Knight said:
Without Danny Devito as the Penguin, would they have had the similar appearance in the Animated Series?

Actually, Bruce Timm never wanted to use Danny Devito's Penguin design, but he was forced to so his TV show could tie in to the movie somewhat. Just like he was forced to design Selina Kyle like Michelle Phfeiffer (though I prefered this design over his redesign of her).

Once Timm was able to have more freedom, he redesigned Penguin to look more like his comic counterpart

06.jpg

200px-Batman_returns_ver5.jpg

Don't adjust your sets. Welcome to the Oswald Cobblepot school of driving. Gentlemen, start your screaming!

They're all awesome. Never liked the character in the comics but I've always loved these three portrayals.

But I gotta go with Burgess, if only for his disguise as Commodore Schmidlapp in Batman: The Movie.

"This brassy bird has us buffaloed!"

The guy that was in Batman Returns, what was his name?.....

oh yeah, Danny DeVito! :woot: :up:

I love Burgess Meredith because he was always choking on the smoke from his cigarettes, but my favorite is Danny DeVito. :up:

Personally, I grew up with DeVito and Burton's re-interpretation of the character. And unlike the protesting parents and whining children, I fell in love with it.

But now that I'm older and more mature (at least the former anyway :D ) while I still prefer DeVito from him being inprinted onto me when I was younger, I think Burgess Merideth most closely resembles the Penguin from the comic books, and pulled it off with such charm and humor.

Merideth was the Penguin brought to life off of the comic book page!

CFE

I like Burgess Meredith, but no one compares to Danny DeVito IMO

I got to go with Burgess. Dude just flat out rocked. His mannerisms creeped me out even more than Devito's over the top impersonation.

Batman Returns overall casting was amazing devito, walken, phiffer where all great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"