The Dark Knight Penguin?

warren_sparta27 said:
rather Bob Hoskins gets the role over Hoffman but i can't see anything wrong with PSH getting the role.

That's basically my feelings on the subject as well. A cameo would do. Anything is better than nothing. And The Penguin is definately a character I would love to see granted Nolan deems him necessary to the overall story he wants to tell. Unfortunately, that doesnt seem to be the case. But then again, things can change.

penguin_01.jpg
james_gandolfini.jpg

I think the Penguin is one of the greatest Batman villians. Actually, he is my favorite Batman villian.

I think its awful that people insist on relegating him to just a mob boss.

Penguin is a fascinating character.

He is intellectually brilliant, cultured, and articulate.

But he is also a cold blooded murderer to takes pleasure out of murdering people.

I think he is psychotic. I think the the years of torment he endured as a child have twisted him into a cold blooded, spite, hateful man with no feelings. He is a pure sociopath. He uses people and murders them when he has used them all up. He has a pathological fixation on birds, its fascinating.

I think Penguin should be used this way....

He is born and raised in Gotham. He born deformed, short, fat, with a beak like nose. He is treated like garbage by his alcoholic father and pestered to death by his overbearing mother. His father dies of pneumonia so his mother forces him to carry an umbrella.

He is an academically brilliant student, with aptitudes in art, science, literature, and engineering. However, at school he is beaten and mercilessly taunted.

His only solace is with the birds in the Cobblepot birdstore. He finds peace with birds and develops an pathological obsession with them.

However, the night he graduates from high school, a gang of bullies beat Oswald Cobblepot to a bloddy pulp, destroy his families bird shop and murder all of his birds right in front of him. After killing the birds in front of him, the gang then rapes and murders Oswalds mother, right before his eyes. This is where Oswalds sanity and morality snap.

A few weeks later, Oswald hunts the gang down in an alley. Calling himself Penguin, the name they used to taunt him, Oswald Cobblepot murders the gang in cold blood, slicing them to bits with a blade that he has put on the end of his umbrella.

Oswald then departs for Europe. In Europe, he attains a degree in Ornithology and Art History from a prestigious European University.

Oswald Cobblepot then spends the next 16 years living in Europe. He becomes a well known and respected art dealer. He makes millions. He also becomes a brilliant art thief, stealing countless famous paintings from museams and selling them on the black market. He kills everyone who get in his way. He never uses his real name in any of his black market dealings. Only his alias, "Penguin." The authorities are never able to capture him.

Finally, 17 years after he left, Oswald Cobblept returns to Gotham City as a millionaire art dealer and black market dealer. The Batman is still early in his career at this point. Penguin is about 12 years older than Batman.

In public, he is Oswald Cobblepot, deformed but charming art dealer. He brilliant, articulate, always well dressed.

Behind closed doors though...

Oswald begins working for the mob. Going by the nom de plum The Penguin, he plans and executes tons and tons of brilliantly successful robberies of banks, museams, mansions, everything. He works for various mob bosses. He is never caught.

Finally, at a mob summit meeting, Mob bosses say that Penguin is getting too much power.

Oswald responds by pulling out his umbrella, which conceals a machine gun. The Penguin ruthlessly pumps every mobster in the room full of bullets. He coldly murders every mob boss in Gotham. Then he blows there underlings away as they run into the room.

Oswald "The Penguin" Cobblepot nows controls all of the mafia in Gotham. He continues to plan brilliant ans succesful crimes whilst maintaining his front as an art dealer and a nightclub owner. He is so brilliant that there is no way to catch him. Batman is aware of everything Penguin does, but cannot finger him. The police cant arrest him. Penguin is too smart.

And there you have it!

This version of Penguin combines all of the facets of his personality, his past, his brilliance as a criminal, his love of art and literature, his homicidal tendencies, his career as both a master criminal and a mob boss...

And its also pretty realistic.

This Penguin short, fat, and has a large, beaklike deformed nose. I has short black slickd back hair. He wears tuxedos and business suits, smokes from a cigarrette holder, and uses a monocle for his bad eye.

I think Nolan could use something like this.

I am writing a graphic novel with an artist friend of mine based on this origin. Penguin: Year One. Something like that...

I'd like to see something to the effect of a short, fat, arms-dealing mob boss-type character with a penchent for birds. Who's nickname is Penguin becuase of his short stature and wide frame. Something like he was in Batman: As The Crow Flies.

The perfect scenes he should be in are scenes with other Mob Bosses. All of them meeting up to discuss Batman, the "Freaks" that are starting to pop-up more and more.

Oh, and he should be played by Bob Hoskins. Since we'll NEVER get Phillipe Seymour Hoffman in this role.

Besides, I'd rather have Bob than Hoffman anyway.

I think the Penguin is one of the greatest Batman villians. Actually, he is my favorite Batman villian.

But he is also a cold blooded murderer to takes pleasure out of murdering people.

I think he is psychotic. I think the the years of torment he endured as a child have twisted him into a cold blooded, spite, hateful man with no feelings. He is a pure sociopath. He uses people and murders them when he has used them all up. He has a pathological fixation on birds, its fascinating.

He is born and raised in Gotham. He born deformed, short, fat, with a beak like nose. He is treated like garbage by his alcoholic father and pestered to death by his overbearing mother. His father dies of pneumonia so his mother forces him to carry an umbrella.

He is an academically brilliant student, with aptitudes in art, science, literature, and engineering. However, at school he is beaten and mercilessly taunted.

His only solace is with the birds in the Cobblepot birdstore. He finds peace with birds and develops an pathological obsession with them.

However, the night he graduates from high school, a gang of bullies beat Oswald Cobblepot to a bloddy pulp, destroy his families bird shop and murder all of his birds right in front of him. After killing the birds in front of him, the gang then rapes and murders Oswalds mother, right before his eyes. This is where Oswalds sanity and morality snap.

A few weeks later, Oswald hunts the gang down in an alley. Calling himself Penguin, the name they used to taunt him, Oswald Cobblepot murders the gang in cold blood, slicing them to bits with a blade that he has put on the end of his umbrella.

Oswald then departs for Europe. In Europe, he attains a degree in Ornithology and Art History from a prestigious European University.

Oswald Cobblepot then spends the next 16 years living in Europe. He becomes a well known and respected art dealer. He makes millions. He also becomes a brilliant art thief, stealing countless famous paintings from museams and selling them on the black market. He kills everyone who get in his way. He never uses his real name in any of his black market dealings. Only his alias, "Penguin." The authorities are never able to capture him.

Finally, 17 years after he left, Oswald Cobblept returns to Gotham City as a millionaire art dealer and black market dealer. The Batman is still early in his career at this point. Penguin is about 12 years older than Batman.

In public, he is Oswald Cobblepot, deformed but charming art dealer. He brilliant, articulate, always well dressed.

Oswald begins working for the mob. Going by the nom de plum The Penguin, he plans and executes tons and tons of brilliantly successful robberies of banks, museams, mansions, everything. He works for various mob bosses. He is never caught.

Finally, at a mob summit meeting, Mob bosses say that Penguin is getting too much power.

Oswald responds by pulling out his umbrella, which conceals a machine gun. The Penguin ruthlessly pumps every mobster in the room full of bullets. He coldly murders every mob boss in Gotham. Then he blows there underlings away as they run into the room.

Oswald "The Penguin" Cobblepot nows controls all of the mafia in Gotham. He continues to plan brilliant ans succesful crimes whilst maintaining his front as an art dealer and a nightclub owner. He is so brilliant that there is no way to catch him. Batman is aware of everything Penguin does, but cannot finger him. The police cant arrest him. Penguin is too smart.

And there you have it!

This version of Penguin combines all of the facets of his personality, his past, his brilliance as a criminal, his love of art and literature, his homicidal tendencies, his career as both a master criminal and a mob boss...

This Penguin short, fat, and has a large, beaklike deformed nose. I has short black slickd back hair. He wears tuxedos and business suits, smokes from a cigarrette holder, and uses a monocle for his bad eye.

I am writing a graphic novel with an artist friend of mine based on this origin. Penguin: Year One. Something like that...

lexwrong.jpg

Honestly though, I think it has less to do with Penguin being "unrealistic" so much as he is... boring. He's already missed the one opportunity for him to have a real use in this franchise, and that would be if he had taken on the role Falcone had in BB.

Actually, i liek his ideas and the penguin is not boring, he fine the way he is and i think it's kind of rude of you to put the that picture up when the guy was just bringing is opinions up.

Actually, i liek his ideas and the penguin is not boring, he fine the way he is and i think it's kind of rude of you to put the that picture up when the guy was just bringing is opinions up.

Actually I have nothing against his opinions, it's the fact that his description for the character is the silly thing they made up for Batman Returns. Penguin is NOT some deformed guy with a beak, same as the Joker isn't some guy named Jack Napier who murdered Bruce's parents, nor is Mr. Freeze some big dumb turd who's crimes against the English language are far more menacing than anything else in the entire movie.

Naw, I probably should have made that bit more clear.

And there you have it!

I liked portions of this, but lose the deformity. Penguin doesn't need webbed hands and webbed toes, or waddle around. Keep him fat, short, and has a beak like nose. That's it.

Also, raping his mother? Do you really think Nolan would show that in a movie?

Someone suggested Andy Serkis, and I think that's effing brilliant.

Make him an art curator who smuggles guns and other arms in with his museum pieces, very cultured, and a little uptight. He gets involved with whoever the mob leaders are at this point, and they start calling him "penguin" because of his penchant for tuxedos. As in, "Really? That's what you're wearing on a heist? You look like a frickin' penguin." Very stylish, very eccentric, and kind of a secondary villain by necessity. He could have a more prominent role based on who the other villains/mobsters are. Bruce Wayne could even find out that by donating to his museum, he's actually funding Penguin's dealings. So he interrogates Penguin or his thugs, and asks who's funding them. They confess, "Bruce Wayne!"

Good times.

Plus. he's already worked with Nolan on "The Prestige," and he's British. I'd say he's a shoo-in.

Take a look at this:
2190186.jpg

you know, i could actully see someone like, Kevin Pollak, in a fat suit, (maybe with some prosthetics, to exaggerate he features)
for the mob boss type Penguin

you know, i could actully see someone like, Kevin Pollak, in a fat suit, (maybe with some prosthetics, to exaggerate he features)

A comedian in a serious role???

I think the Penguin is one of the greatest Batman villians. Actually, he is my favorite Batman villian...

Lets see for this one I stopped right about here.........................................................................^

I think Penguin is best suited for a really good fan movie. Not Nolan's movie.

Someone suggested Andy Serkis, and I think that's effing brilliant.

Make him an art curator who smuggles guns and other arms in with his museum pieces, very cultured, and a little uptight. He gets involved with whoever the mob leaders are at this point, and they start calling him "penguin" because of his penchant for tuxedos. As in, "Really? That's what you're wearing on a heist? You look like a frickin' penguin." Very stylish, very eccentric, and kind of a secondary villain by necessity. He could have a more prominent role based on who the other villains/mobsters are. Bruce Wayne could even find out that by donating to his museum, he's actually funding Penguin's dealings. So he interrogates Penguin or his thugs, and asks who's funding them. They confess, "Bruce Wayne!"

Good times.

Plus. he's already worked with Nolan on "The Prestige," and he's British. I'd say he's a shoo-in.

Take a look at this:
2190186.jpg

Best post on this thread by faaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

lexwrong.jpg

Honestly though, I think it has less to do with Penguin being "unrealistic" so much as he is... boring. He's already missed the one opportunity for him to have a real use in this franchise, and that would be if he had taken on the role Falcone had in BB.

WRONG!

And he can do the entire film using Christopher Walken's voice. I'd go see that.

he's not limited to comedy, he’s done serious roles, too, and pulled them off just fine :whatever:

I´m personally not a fan of him and he really doesn´t really look the part but Seymour and Hoskins look the part and are very talented actors plus Nolan has said he would love to have Seymour in his movies and Seymour has even said that he has serious interest in the role so we´ll just have to wait and see what the plans are for the sequel

A comedian in a serious role???
He was great in The Usual Suspects.
Starkey's post is pretty good, mixing elements of classic Penguin with Burton's PINO and the modern age comics version. A nice synthesis. Both freak and mobster. I agree, though, lose the deformities - he just needs to be short, fat and with a long nose. Everything else is over the top. I think Penguin has tremendous potential to be a truly formidable villain for Batman, a respected, if not loved, businessman, who is the secret crime boss of Gotham. He just needs the right story.

Hmm... never gave Serkis much thought, but I like it. Plus he has worked with Nolan. Good call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"