Smallville The Best, The Worst of Smallville

For me , the worst episode was Nicodemus.
The best was Memoria.

Really? Even with that strip-scene? :cwink:

I just rewatched Lazarus and honestly, I think it's probably the best premier of the whole show.

It's a great premiere. The best for me probably remains Crusade, but of course that's largely because of the flight scene.

I just rewatched Lazarus and honestly, I think it's probably the best premier of the whole show.

Definitely one of the best episodes of the series. Love the whole scene with Lois finding Clark and removing the blue kryptonite dagger from Clark's body and hides while watching on as he heals. The music and cinematography was wonderfully done during that scene.

Everytime I re-watch bits and pieces of the Finale, particularly after Clark gets the suit, I get super sad and disappointed. :(

Why? Because we never actually saw him in it or because it was just Smallville ending?

Because we never saw him in the suit, and the way those scenes with him were shot, with the super close ups on just his head while he was flying, just seemed very cheap. I'm one of the few people who didn't care that they waited so long to put him in the suit and make him fly, but those final moments were supposed to be the big payoff and they still continued to tease us even after he finally became Superman.

Ah those. Yes, it was disappointing. But no big deal to me. Smallville could never satisfy 100% of its audience, I knew the Finale wouldn't too.

It's just, I didn't care about many things in the Finale. I didn't care that Lex was a clone, or that Lionel was Darkseid. Things like that didn't bother me because its all creative license and they could do whatever they wanted with the characters. But the fact that they finally gave Clark the suit and let him fly, and then they settle for cheap CGI from Superman Returns was just so disappointing. It's been so hard to go back and watch the older episodes because I always think about how it ended for Clark and how, for whatever reason, they couldn't give us that one thing that people were waiting for since the pilot.

There's more to this than we know. I never believed that Tom refused to wear the suit, it was probably because of those legal issues you mention. Yes, it was disappointing, but to me the final scene with the John Williams score made up for it.

That was actually another thing I didn't really like. Like I get that Williams score is the iconic Superman theme, but I almost felt like after spending years of making SV their own universe, they were suddenly trying to shoehorn things into fitting into the Donner films.

I looked at it as WB/DC's way of expressing gratitude towards Smallville for holding the Superman front so to speak, during those development hell years that the Superman movie division was in for so long. It could've done without it, but I was very pleasantly shocked to hear it and I'm not even that big a fan of it. After the show had been treated like crap by CW for so many years, this was DC's gratitude towards them, at least that's how I saw it.

Last edited:
I gotta say, after watching Man of Steel, I really had an urge to go back and watch some of the early episodes of Smallville because they deal with a lot of the same issues shown in the film, but they are also given the time to handle things in a drawn out way, as open to rushing certain things. IMO, Smallville did a great job at demonstrating things like the Nature vs Nurture aspect of Clark's heritage, and his relationship with Jonathan and his adjusting to new powers.

It was kinda like Season 4. Kickass premiere and finale but horrible filler episodes.

It was kinda like Season 4. Kickass premiere and finale but horrible filler episodes.

Agreed, couldn't have said it better myself. It's a shame because the premiere was near perfect.

Last edited:
Looking back, I don't have that many problems with season 4 as I once did. But I was definitely disappointed by the second half of season 10. I don't feel like they really built on the seasonal arc that they built up in the first half.

That stupid 'Hangover' ripoff episode is still one of the most offensive things I've ever seen.

Beyond the fact I didn't mind the Hangover ripoff, I think the show has done way more offensive things then what one might consider a bad concept or attempt at comedy.

Instantly what comes to my mind is

AI Jor-El
Clexana triangle of S5/6(including fake baby)
Clark robbing banks because he is responsible for his mother's miscarriage(and the whole Martha pregnancy storyline in general)
Putting Clark's life in stall mode in Season 5-7 just to keep other characters relevant
The cookie cutter Lana running up to Clark's loft and hounding him about secrets and lies scenes
Making Clark screw up somehow lead to his dad's death
Lionel and Martha

......and I am leaving out a tons more storylines, so yeah one episode that might not be a person's cup of tea is far from the worst(most offensive) thing a show could do. My pick for most offensive thing the show did was Promise, basically 42 non stop minutes of a storyline I hated(not even a b plot that I could enjoy like 5-10 minutes of the episode)

Maybe I should not have used the term 'offensive' for the 'Hangover' riff episode. What bothered me about it was Olvier dressed in drag, and the premise of it to begin with, along with the episodes sheer and utter failure at comedy. There are probably more stories or character arcs throughout the series which did more to assault one's intelligence then this episode I'm sure. I was just so taken back by a stupid attempt at a farce of an episode during season 10 which was supposed to break into Clark's future more seriously. Thus making it more upsetting as a fan, especially being more recent and towards the end of Smallville's run. So yes your right.

While I sort of get the it's Season 10 argument I had no problem with the show having more stand alone episodes, even in the last season. Personally I probably would be more upset with the episode if I was a Chloe fan then a Clark fan(since it was her last episode before the final and that was the send off they gave her). As bad as Lana's sendoff was they gave her a grand sendoff, in the case of Chloe it just felt like an afterthought

Obsession, Unsafe and Pariah are some of my fave ones. Alicia Baker :hrt:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"