The Blue Dragon Hype Thread

XwolverineX said:
I agree to disagree on that one. Obviously you play a game to play, not watch, but I always looks forward to seeing the story progress in CGI. That'll probably be the determining factor on me buying LO and BD or not.
I think it just depends on where you're coming from playing a game. When I play games, I want the story told to JC Denton/Garret/whoever, not to who is playing as that person, which means I tend to favor atmosphere and "they're there if you find them" story elements over flashy CG, and is probably why I prefer actual role playing to just hack and slash in RPGs. To me, I'll take "happening to hack a computer and read an email that gives me more detail on the Walton Simmons character, getting the story just as JC would have" to "getting this information through a movie". And it's not really a "I don't like to be pulled out of the game thing" either, I never had any problem with the conversations in Deus Ex or Oblivion, to me it's just a "I want to interact and I want the story given to me in the less forced manner that video games provide" thing.

CM Punk said:
I think it just depends on where you're coming from playing a game. When I play games, I want the story told to JC Denton/Garret/whoever, not to who is playing as that person, which means I tend to favor atmosphere and "they're there if you find them" story elements over flashy CG, and is probably why I prefer actual role playing to just hack and slash in RPGs. To me, I'll take "happening to hack a computer and read an email that gives me more detail on the Walton Simmons character, getting the story just as JC would have" to "getting this information through a movie". And it's not really a "I don't like to be pulled out of the game thing" either, I never had any problem with the conversations in Deus Ex or Oblivion, to me it's just a "I want to interact and I want the story given to me in the less forced manner that video games provide" thing.

Yeah, I can see from the beggining of your post where we differ. You want your character to experience what he's going through, I love me myself being immersed in the experience. That's what I get from FF, which is why I love it so much.

XwolverineX said:
That's what I get from FF, which is why I love it so much.
FFXII looks as though it will have a particularly immersive storyline.

BIG BUMP!
I'm playing the demo right now, and it's quite fun.
Definantly gonna get it when it's released in the states.
I hate the one hour limit in the demo though.

I despise RPG's!!!:mad: I hate this type of game! All the creators of FF, BD and all those JAP RPG's needs to be shot!!!:cool: :up:

Lot of banned people in this thread. Anyway, I played the demo of this game, and let me tell you, I HATE turn-based RPGs. I really wanted to get into this game, because it's fairly unique to the platform and supposedly high quality, but.. I hate it.

Gah, the demo dropped? Damnit, I've been missing out.

Lot of banned people in this thread. Anyway, I played the demo of this game, and let me tell you, I HATE turn-based RPGs. I really wanted to get into this game, because it's fairly unique to the platform and supposedly high quality, but.. I hate it.

One man's disgust is another mans hype. I love turn based games. If this is turn based then that is one more thing for me to be hyped about.

I just can't get into it. Everytime you run into a monster, you go into the same fight, in the same "combat arena" again and again. You watch each one of your party members get hit, then when it's you're turn, you are given a million options, none of which were ever really explained, and then the confusing back-and-forth between everything in the fight perpetuates and worsens as you try "healing" your people at the cost of engaging an attack, and... gah! Just give me a sword and a real-time button-press and I'm happy. All this menu-driven hooplah busts up the experience for me.

I played the demo just now. I'm with WHF. I'm not into turn-based fighting. One thing that pissed me off about this game is the enemy attacks you like 5 times before your menu can even come up. In the boss that has like 5 subordinates and then you fight him, he does like 10 attacks and everyone died (the guy in green got revived). The demo was poorly done. It should have started you at the beginning where everything is explained because this type of RPG needs it. Dropping you in the middle of a boss area is nice but not good for someone unfamiliar with the kind of game. I was slightly interested but now I know to pass on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"