First Avenger The Captain America Casting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just in the "Anyone But Tatum" camp at this point. I can't imagine a worse actor for the role. People like to b**ch about how many roles Shia LaBouef lands, but see, there's a reason for that. He may not have the most range in the world, but he does have charisma. He has a very natural presence in front of a camera. It's the same with guys like Tom Cruise and George Clooney. There will always be some people that despise them for this, but they work as leading men because they have a natural charisma that appeals to the audience.

Tatum comes up with a big fat zero in this regard. He's not just wooden... he's a lumber yard. I've seen mannequins with more personality.

I've been watching this thread silently for a while, but feel compelled to chip in because Wolvie summed up exactly how I've come to feel about this casting process.

Early on, it was like holding a lottery ticket, I was excited to learn who was going to play Cap, and there were a lot of great possibilities. Now it's like waiting for a test result. There isn't really anything good that can come from having a lump, but there's a wide range of possible bad outcomes. I just hope that the Cap lump isn't deadly.

I also have to wonder if the lead's salary was one of the budget issues that Johnston was rumored to have been angry about a few weeks ago. (I can't remember the article where I saw that he was upset, though. So no link from me).

Captain America is...
not the father.

Has McPartlin been in any movies or strictly tv as of now?

McPartlin will not get the role. Sorry people, he definitely has the look though. I am sure if he screen tested and knocked it out of the park he would have been cast already. I am guessing our Cap isn't even on the list.
Side note: How come everytime this poll has Chris Pine catching up in votes, the Ackles votes go up by the exact same number? Somebody loves Ackles a little too much. Stop reregistering, no matter how many times you vote for him he won't be playing Cap, loser.

Last edited:
Yeah McPartlin might be sucky in acting. If he wasn't, he would get picked up with that perfect looks.

Not necessarily. For all we know, he had a great screen test but then the execs started to rethink the whole "unknown" thing.

Think about it. The first group of frontrunners were all fairly unknown actors, other than JK. Then, more guys who are fairly well-known started sprouting up (Evans, Tatum, Phillippe) and arguably Hedlund, since he's getting some exposure for Tron.

I think he sucked in acting. Marvel found quickly an unknown for Thor. Almost perfect looks, good enough screen test acting put Hemsworth on the lead seat. Marvel won't hesitate in picking up McPartlin if he found out to be as good as Hemsworth.

I don't think 34/35 is a problem. Matt Damon is pushing it, but with the makeup you never know. It's not like you are looking at a WW2 trilogy over six years. It's a one movie deal, so making your actor LOOK 21-25 for one movie is a lot more feasible. People will expect a more veteran presence in Avengers and not a pretty boy among men.

Yea, it's pretty obvious that JJ had his shot with the "unknowns" and when that didn't pan out, Marvel probably stepped in more aggressively in the process and set up auditions for "named" actors. Marvel probably sees Hedlund as possibly ready to break out but still able to get cheap now which was why he was high on the wish list.

At this point though, it definitely seems like we are getting a "name". That's why I don't think Vogel and Bethel really have a shot anymore.

I don't think 34/35 is a problem. Matt Damon is pushing it, but with the makeup you never know. It's not like you are looking at a WW2 trilogy over six years. It's a one movie deal, so making your actor LOOK 21-25 for one movie is a lot more feasible. People will expect a more veteran presence in Avengers and not a pretty boy among men.

I don't understand why Marvel is insistent upon casting so young for this role. They worry too much about this 9 picture option and this actor being able to play the role several years from now but who knows what will happen that far ahead in the future. Just make the best movie you can now and cast the right actor, don't be so strict on the age.

They need a young actor for this Captain America, but might opt to get a more matured Steve Rogers for the Avengers and the next movies.

Say that Steve still ages in the block of ice, albeit a very slow one.

They need a young actor for this Captain America, but might opt to get a more matured Steve Rogers for the Avengers and the next movies.

Say that Steve still ages in the block of ice, albeit a very slow one.

Since the Cap movie is a big risk in of itself, I would have just casted Damon or Leo and skipped right to Avengers, maybe eek out a sequel or two with one of the two. Then I would have done a WW2 trilogy with a younger actor down the line, like ten years from now... ala Star Wars. I like the idea of introducing each character with their own film, but I can understand skipping a Cap origin film for now. The chances of a flop are too great, which is why Ant-Man was left alone.

Last edited:
What amazes me is that they are banking so much on this ridiculous 9 picture deal when they have no idea if anyone is even going to like the FIRST movie. Granted, it will probably be a hit, but if they cast the wrong actors or if the script and direction aren't up to par, it's either going to flop or the sequel will flop (fool me twice, shame on me).

Of course, they are planning this Avengers movie before a "Captain America 2" but if no one likes Cap, then the Avengers movie might underperform, despite the presence of Robert Downey Jr.

What amazes me is that they are banking so much on this ridiculous 9 picture deal when they have no idea if anyone is even going to like the FIRST movie. Granted, it will probably be a hit, but if they cast the wrong actors or if the script and direction aren't up to par, it's either going to flop or the sequel will flop (fool me twice, shame on me).

Of course, they are planning this Avengers movie before a "Captain America 2" but if no one likes Cap, then the Avengers movie might underperform, despite the presence of Robert Downey Jr.

Cap is not a guaranteed hit by any stretch. I am sure a decent one can easily take in 160-180 domestic, but that's not a lot these days. Plus it needs to make like 270-350 domestic to be any real kind of WW hit.

As much as I love McPartlin, I could never take him seriously as Cap.

There is a lot of talk about this 9 picture deal, but I think people are making a bigger issue out of it than it really is. In all liklihood it is not a 9 picture deal, it is a 2-3 picture contract with rest being options, meaning if they have stories they want to make about Cap then they will have the ability to bring this actor back at an already agreed upon rate. More than anything, it is a way for Marvel to control their costs. If they were to cast an unknown, let's just say Bethel, and Cap and Avengers are huge hits and Bethel is the next big thing, it would tough to get him back at a decent salary if he only signed a two picture contract. If they wanted to make a Cap 2 or Avengers 2 then they would bust their budget just trying bring Cap back.

Cap is not a guaranteed hit by any stretch. I am sure a decent one can easily take in 160-180 domestic, but that's not a lot these days. Plus it needs to make like 270-350 domestic to be any real kind of WW hit.

Yeah, exactly. The worldwide numbers are the ones that they should be most concerned about too, considering that America's reputation hasn't improved all that much since Bush flushed it down the toilet. Plus, I'm worried that the fact that the Cap movie is primarily a period piece will work against it. I love the idea that it's set mostly in WWII but for some reason, superhero films set back in time haven't fared well (The Phantom, The Shadow, Dick Tracy). That may have simply been due to flaws in those movies or the fact that those characters' popularity has faded, but it might also be a reflection that modern audiences want to see superheroes in the present day.

I know a lot of people applaud Marvel's approach(the buildup to Avengers and the 9 billion films with cross pollination), the approach is certainly ambitious and can have an enormous payoff if all goes well. But damn, things can unravel in the blink of an eye if the Cap film is off in any way. And with the names we are hearing lately for Cap and the misstep that it could lead to, all this talk of 9 picture option with sequels and cameos up the ass could be for nothing.

There is a lot of talk about this 9 picture deal, but I think people are making a bigger issue out of it than it really is. In all liklihood it is not a 9 picture deal, it is a 2-3 picture contract with rest being options, meaning if they have stories they want to make about Cap then they will have the ability to bring this actor back at an already agreed upon rate. More than anything, it is a way for Marvel to control their costs. If they were to cast an unknown, let's just say Bethel, and Cap and Avengers are huge hits and Bethel is the next big thing, it would tough to get him back at a decent salary if he only signed a two picture contract. If they wanted to make a Cap 2 or Avengers 2 then they would bust their budget just trying bring Cap back.

I don't think the Hedlund camp would have balked if that was the case... unless it was a money issue. But how much is he making for Tron? Is he a million dollar actor per film at the moment? I doubt it. 300K with incentives is about right.

I know a lot of people applaud Marvel's approach(the buildup to Avengers and the 9 billion films with cross pollination), the approach is certainly ambitious and can have an enormous payoff if all goes well. But damn, things can unravel in the blink of an eye if the Cap film is off in any way. And with the names we are hearing lately for Cap and the misstep that it could lead to, all this talk of 9 picture option with sequels and cameos up the ass could be for nothing.

It's basically SR all over again. Every project will collapse from that point on if you **** up. Then DC becomes the new Marvel and visa versa...

At this point I don't think its any of the actors (that we've heard of before) balking on the salary as much as it is Marvel not being able to decide from the dozen people actually interested in taking the job on their cheap ass pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"