The Cave

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight' started by The Fallen, Apr 10, 2006.

1. ChrisBaleBatman

ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

That'd be funny if he actually couldn't.

But, since he can.....kinda makes the rimshot into a blocked shot.

2. ChrisBaleBatman

Btw....yeah...the NEW cave just seems too.....I dunno, Star Trek, I guess.

I mean, that's what I loved about the Batcave from BB. It actually looks like a cave. Not CIA headquaters or something.

3. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Squirrel Baffle

Yeah, exactly. It's a CAVE. It should be dark, have big-ass rock formations, shiny mineral deposits, bats, and the sound of the occasional dropping water.

And very wierd shadows.

4. ChrisBaleBatman

You know what I loved most about the Batcave in Begins, though?

How you could just feel the damp, cold, rockiness in there. You could see the sediments, and the minerals....very organic stuff.

Alot of the Batcave interpretations, even the good ones....like BTAS and Burton's cave too.....they all just have a very very man made feel, to the point where it doesn't look much like a cave. If it weren't for the bats in those interpretations, you'd have a hard time knowing it was an actual cave.

I'm not knocking them though....just saying how I felt BB was unique in that aspect.

I do want an upgrade in TDK, and we'll probably get one too for sure. I just hope they don't get too space age on us.

5. trustyside-kick

trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

I don't want to see a major amount of improvements made to the Batcave. We need to be realistic (and I do not say this because Nolan's take on these films are with some realism to it). It should take a while before he has a crapload of things developed in the cave.

I wouldn't mind something similar to how Lee drew the Batcave in All Star Batman and Robin (since that starts off with Batman still being a bit new). Perhaps add or remove a few things and it would be acceptable.

6. kpjoon

kpjoon Registered

All we need in Nolan's cave is a computer desk, a computer, and a bed hahaha

7. Ronny Shade

Ronny Shade back for a limited time

It was a post-modern commentary on the fact that everyone says he still can't turn his head.

8. Keyser Sushi

I pretty much agree. The Begins cave felt like a cave, dank and dark and drippy. You could almost smell the air. The cave needs to retain its character as Bruce adds things to it, it needs to still feel like that cave, just with whatever additions he may make to the decor.

9. Nepenthes

Nepenthes Registered

TDK could have a scene where an injured Batman gets medical help from Alfred, showing some hospital equipment that's improved from Rachael's little bed set-up in BB. Add a scene with Bruce in his crime lab...and that's all the cave needs I think.

Agree with everyone who loves the dark damp atmosphere in BB and yeah hope they don't overdo it to look all 'man made' like the other movies. All those comic pics on last page are bull**** - I've never really liked the way the cave is protrayed by most artists.

Also, remember in BR when Bruce plays the recording over Penguins speech - it shows Bruce inserting a CD into a machine and WTF there's a friggin Bat logo on the CD player! I was only eight and I still knew that was ******ed.

First post! - longtime Batman fan, it's good to find a forum where (reasonably!) smart people aren't afraid to geek out over Bats!

10. Ronny Shade

Don't be fooled. None of us are smart.

11. bunk

bunk superhero fan

The logo on the cd player was really lame but, the worst part was when he moved the cd back and forth like it was a freaking vinyl record! Every time I watch returns I enjoy it a little less.

12. Spider-Fan83

Spider-Fan83 with great power...

here's a question, what kinda secret entries do you wanna see to the batcave, we saw the hidden room behind the bookshelf (with the musical lock) leading to elevator, what other or new passage ways would you like to see (I think it might be to far down for the bat pole lol)

13. Ronny Shade

Grandfather Clock.

14. avatarblade2000

I liked the whole Underground Railroad thing in BEGINS, so I think that the elevator should stay...but it would be neat if the grandfather clock were to be the entrance TO the elevator.

So far as the cave goes, Nolan will most likely keep it simple and subtle, like he usually does. Thank God. I won't venture out and say necessarilly what we'll see, but I would LIKE to see basically what everyone else has said. Computers, weight room, CSI stuff (BRING ON THE CSI STUFF!), maybe a security system, or place for the Tumbler. It's too soon for the penny and the T-Rex thing, and it meanders into Schumacher territory, at least to me. Besides, aside from how natural and organic the cave looked in BEGINS, I loved that it was kinda small and manageable compared to the dark abyss of the prior films. It looked like it wouldn't be too hard to get from one side to the other, but also big enough for everything Bats needed to have its own place inside. Keep the cave small, IOW, down-to-earth, if that makes any sense.

15. Keyser Sushi

SECONDED. :up: :up:

16. Soundwave88

Soundwave88 As you command Megatron.

17. Ronny Shade

I would love to see that. 'Course Nolan will give him a Macbook Pro or somethin' :rolleyes:

18. Nepenthes

Nepenthes Registered

ha ha ^

I can see Batman trudging in and flopping down on the couch and Alfred puts some Mozart on the iTunes to relax him.

19. Tempest19

Tempest19 Registered

A desk. A computer. A couple of television monitors. A microscope, scanner, csi equipment. And THAT'S ALL! Keep it realistic. Don't have trophies or other 'out there' devices. Just keep to the basics.

20. Crooklyn

Crooklyn Registered

There's nothing really "unrealistic" about the comic book batcave. You can call it over-the-top, that'd be a more proper term, but unrealistic it is not.

21. Keyser Sushi

That's true.

The thing I think is that we may not get the big bank of monitors, though - because I'm not sure what Batman needs with more than one monitor.

Although new squadrooms at police stations do have a bank of monitors sometimes, sort of replaces the bulletin boards with the photos and the flow charts and whatnot. Maybe Batman WOULD have a use for multiple monitors, after all.

Hrmmm. Interesting...

22. Nepenthes

Nepenthes Registered

Yeah right. It's an electrical powerhouse it'd be a glowing bright spot on the power grid. It's huge and it's buzzing with electrical 'noise' you'd be able to pick up with various devices if you were looking for something strange in Gotham. The caverns would show up in sonar imaging. And who the hell built the thing? Superman? okay that's realistic. Otherwise you need massive construction teams with experts in multiple feilds. Bruce Wayne is pretty clever but he's not an subteranean engineering genius, and if he is well then that's unrealistic too.

I can't really see Bruce crouched in front of one measely moniter. He'll take it over the top, several flat screens, police scanners, fancy stuff from Wayne tech. I hope the computer array looks hell rough though, different parts cobbled together with all wires hanging out. Not just one sleek unit.

23. Spider-Fan83

Spider-Fan83 with great power...

[​IMG]

minus, Robin of course lol

24. Ronny Shade

A comfortable monitor set-up to do anything more than word processing or starcraft is 2 good sized monitors (17"?). You'll find that in most offices whose work is computer based. I'd say give Batman 3. He can afford it. Make them 20". Then add in the monitor to display the images from the microscope. Then a screen to show results from the spectroscopy scanner. Then include security cam footage from inside the cave, Wayne manor and the grounds. One television tuned to every news channel. One monitor with security cam footage from the GCPD HQ. That's an entire wall of monitors. It's perfectly realistic for Bats to need a monitor bank.

25. COMPO

COMPO Registered

actually, the cave is powered by the river.