The Dark Knight The Cave

as someone with the resources to do something about it, it'd mae ssense for Bruce to block off the waterfall entrance with doors or something similar and thus have some kind of ramp setup to get out. I mean, it hardly makes sense to have your entire secret identity hinging on the assumption that nobody will ever accidentally wander in there. It could be like that movie the descent, bruce walks into the batcave one day to find 6 chicks running around screaming and swinging ice-picks

How exactly would you "stumble" upon a waterfall...no less have the idea to "go inside and explore"?

Crooklyn said:
Pfft...eff that. Sh1t would be bad-ass for the third film. :o

It's waaaaaaaaay too Schumacher.

I like the cave to feel like...

...a cave.

I dont see Batman being the type of guy that needs his logo hanging up everywhere in his cave.

StorminNorman said:
I dont see Batman being the type of guy that needs his logo hanging up everywhere in his cave.

Precisely. :up:

Keyser Sushi said:
It's waaaaaaaaay too Schumacher.

I like the cave to feel like...

...a cave.
It's metal built on top of the cave. That type of thing would make sense as the cave eventually "evolves".

And it's not nearly Shumacher-like with flashing strobe lights and extravagent items.

StorminNorman said:
I see absolutely no logos in that picture...

Crooklyn said:
It's metal built on top of the cave. That type of thing would make sense as the cave eventually "evolves".

He'd need a floor that was either poured concrete or some sort of metal. He'd need a computer station and a work area for the Tumbler. He may require some sort of forensics lab. That's it.

And it's not nearly Shumacher-like with flashing strobe lights and extravagent items.

What about the Bat-motif around the computer station, the bizarre futuristic quality of the console, the extra and pointless lighted consoles everywhere, and the gigantic Bat-logo on the floor?

I see absolutely no logos in that picture...

Check the floor, amigo.

Keyser Sushi said:
He'd need a floor that was either poured concrete or some sort of metal. He'd need a computer station and a work area for the Tumbler. He may require some sort of forensics lab. That's it.
Again, I'm referring more to the "later years" of the cave. And that's what the image represents. I highly doubt a disgustingly rich man like Bruce would limit himself so dearly in such a huge area. He'll get whatever he needs.

What about the Bat-motif around the computer station,
That can go.

the bizarre futuristic quality of the console,
Tha can be toned down a bit.

the extra and pointless lighted consoles everywhere
Well it's not exactly a disco room with light sources everywhere. They're either to provide some brightness for a virtually dark area, or plain and simple...the electronics are left on. Don't you ever leave your computer on? :p

Check the floor, amigo.
Hmm, I apologize. I took a quick glance. That can go as well. :o

Crooklyn said:
How exactly would you "stumble" upon a waterfall...no less have the idea to "go inside and explore"?

well from what we can see in begins the waterfall seems to be of a pretty significant size, it doesn't make much sense for such a large geographical feature near a major city to be completely unknown, and I'm pretty sure waterfalls usually flow into rivers, which go into oceans, so I think it's pretty far-fetched to say nobody knows about the waterfall or that no-one will ever investigate it.

Crooklyn said:
Again, I'm referring more to the "later years" of the cave. And that's what the image represents. I highly doubt a disgustingly rich man like Bruce would limit himself so dearly in such a huge area. He'll get whatever he needs.

That can go.

Tha can be toned down a bit.

Well it's not exactly a disco room with light sources everywhere. They're either to provide some brightness for a virtually dark area, or plain and simple...the electronics are left on. Don't you ever leave your computer on? :p

Hmm, I apologize. I took a quick glance. That can go as well. :o

And that addresses my main misgivings about the design The Sage posted.

:up:

I don't mind Batman having some tech down there... but I do want it to not have logos, I want it to have the equipment he needs in it, but I want it to retain the feel of a natural environment... the cave as it was in the comics prior to "No Man's Land" was great. The point of it is that it's not just a high-tech base... it's also a CAVE... he's BATman, he lives in a CAVE.

It ought to always be recognizeable as a cave. And caves are beautiful in their own right. Whatever equipment is built into it ought to compliment the environment in some way. The cave from Batman 89 and the cave from TAS were acceptable for that reason.

Likewise the cave in Begins looks like the cave from the comics, without all the stuff installed in it yet. I'm sure he'll have more equipment in it in TDK, and a new floor, etc. It just needs to still feel like that cave, and we're good.

kenellard said:
well from what we can see in begins the waterfall seems to be of a pretty significant size, it doesn't make much sense for such a large geographical feature near a major city to be completely unknown, and I'm pretty sure waterfalls usually flow into rivers, which go into oceans, so I think it's pretty far-fetched to say nobody knows about the waterfall or that no-one will ever investigate it.
Well my point is why would anyone question a waterfall. I don't know about you, but most people look at it, point and say, "oh that looks cool", then move on with their lives. That's all there is to it.

kenellard said:

Suppose the waterfall is on private property.

The waterfall has to be on the maps but the cave behind it is not. It's on private property and you have to know where the cave's waterfall entrance is. You can't get to it with a vehicle because it's across a deep, wide chasm, and it's not so large. The only way in is to either rappel down to it from the falls (and why would you go rappelling over a waterfall? You wouldn't, unless you were looking for a cave behind it) or to jump a vehicle into it, and why the hell would you do that unless you knew it was there?

The odds of anybody finding it are INCREDIBLY small.

Crooklyn said:
Well my point is why would anyone question a waterfall. I don't know about you, but most people look at it, point and say, "oh that looks cool", then move on with their lives. That's all there is to it.

hikers, cave-divers, people like that. If I saw a huge waterfall with a cave behind it, I'd definately want to see what it was like in there. It's simple human curiosity

kenellard said:
hikers, cave-divers, people like that. If I saw a huge waterfall with a cave behind it, I'd definately want to see what it was like in there. It's simple human curiosity

1.) You'd need Bruce Wayne's permission to be there

2.) HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THERE WAS A CAVE THERE?!?!?!

It's HIDDEN BY THE WATERFALL, dingus.

Keyser Sushi said:
1.) You'd need Bruce Wayne's permission to be there

2.) HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THERE WAS A CAVE THERE?!?!?!

It's HIDDEN BY THE WATERFALL, dingus.

It's not a solid wall of water, so the large black chasm behind the water might give someone an inkling. the geography of it all suggests that the cave is, at least partially directly under bruces house, so I'd like to now where this river/waterfall deal comes into it, maybe wayne manor is like the simpsons' house? I'll concede that if the cave is on Bruce's property then that's another story altogether, but if it's not actually in the grounds, say bruce owns a forest and all that jazz, he can hardly keep watch on it 24/7. My point is he'd be better off building a big B****rd gate and if anyone does find it and asks questions, it's none of their business. job done.

kenellard said:
It's not a solid wall of water, so the large black chasm behind the water might give someone an inkling.

I don't remember it being visible...

the geography of it all suggests that the cave is, at least partially directly under bruces house, so I'd like to now where this river/waterfall deal comes into it, maybe wayne manor is like the simpsons' house?

LOL. It's hard to say. We did see the Tumbler driving through a long tunnel, so I'm willing to bet that while the Cave itself is under Wayne Manor, there's a large cavern that extends out across the property and opens into the cliff face above the river.

There's also a lot of water in the cave, and one of the chambers is separated off by a waterfall as well. That's not uncommon in caves, of course. And there's the matter of the well, which was certainly functional at one time. So my guess is that there's a lot of water near Wayne Manor (which is historically true in the comics). While the river may not be on Wayne's property, his property line may end at the cliff where the waterfall drops from, and as such there'd be no way to explore it unless one was on his land. And no way to get there except to come in the gate.

I'll concede that if the cave is on Bruce's property then that's another story altogether, but if it's not actually in the grounds, say bruce owns a forest and all that jazz, he can hardly keep watch on it 24/7. My point is he'd be better off building a big B****rd gate and if anyone does find it and asks questions, it's none of their business. job done.

LOL yes but the big bastard gate is a sure sign that he's got something to hide...

batman44 said:
In terms of the computer area, I like what Lee Bermejo did.

cave.jpg
I could see Nolan doing something like this.Just wonder how they're going to solve the problem of all the bats, water. They'll need to put some amount of steel in there to protect it. And how will Bruce be able to do everything will only the help of Alfred?
The Sage said:
Looks good but its a bit too much like the B89/BF cave.I think the current team want to stray away from that.

Ok. For a dose of hyper-realism let me say this. As a geologist, karst regions (i.e. regions with limestone caverns) are usually highly explored. Odds are good that in our world, scientists would know about the waterfall from airphotos and geologic mapping and would know about the cave.

But given that most people are unaware of the intensity and thoroughness of geologic surveillance of the country's land, it is fine to just suspend disbelief. If the entrance is in fact deep on Bruce's land he can build a wall around his property. The end.

That might make for an interesting storyline though... a couple of stalwart spelunkers find their way to the batcave accidentally from a cave entrance outside his property. Bwahaha. Oops!

Anyway, I suspect Lucius Fox's role will continue into the second movie and it makes complete sense that he will be outfitting Bats with more tech... like a super computer. I do really like Lee Bermejo's drawing of how the bat cave should be. Looks very appropriate for TDK. I suspect as Batman gets further drawn into his detective world he will need to continuously improve the efficiency of the batcave, i.e. flat floors. Given that limestone is deposited in flat beds, it would probably make the most sense to strip away the irregularly eroded beds to expose the flat surface of other ones. Otherwise how would he pour concrete floors with no other help from the outside world?

Babs Gordon said:
Otherwise how would he pour concrete floors with no other help from the outside world?
Blind Mexican laborers!

Crooklyn said:
Don't you think you're reaching quite a bit with that example? There's a myriad amount of ways things can go wrong with Batman's utilities, but at that point you're just being nit-picky.

not really. i think it's a valid possibility. the fact that he relies on the car being completely functional just to get back into the cave.

batman44 said:
In terms of the computer area, I like what Lee Bermejo did.

cave.jpg

Definitely. That looks awesome and is grounded in realism.

Then maybe just a desk off to the side with a microscope and csi equipment of the like.

And that's it- no dinosaurs or giant pennies (lol), just grounded in realism.

Retroman said:
Some pics of the Batcave from BB....
0526092914139dx4.jpg

They should continue to use this work station within the foundation as his primary cave hangout. All they need to do is put in some tech equiptment and it would be perfect.

Retroman said:
Some pics of the Batcave from BB....
bbnew18jd6.jpg
Is that filming/set equipment in the background? Because I can't help but notice it looks like a rudimentry computer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"