The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

I'm so excited for the next part to drop tomorrow. I loved the first half and look forward to "Dark" Sabrina in these new episodes. I'm sad it's only 8 episodes instead of 10, but I'll survive. I watched an interview with the cast and they all head back to filming in July for parts three and four so I would assume based on that information that Netflix will split "Season Two" like they did this season. I'm guessing Part Three will hit in October and Part Four in 2020 sometime. Hopefully anyways. I rewatched the whole first part this past weekend to catch up.

Damn it starts tomorrow and I still haven't found the time to finish the first one :/

Well with the beauty of Netflix, it's there for you whenever. :)

I plan on watching a few episodes tonight when I get home from seeing Shazam!

Wasn't season 2 supposed to come out yesterday?

I double checked that Netflix Canada was supposed to have season 2 on April 5th, but it still has only the first 11 episodes up.:huh:

While I am enjoying the 2nd season, they have effectively killed the "iconic" aspects of the Sabrina mythology. Salem is useless and not even a character and Harvey has zero charm and I'm not interested in him/Sabrina being together. I'm all about Sabrina/Nicholas.

Wasn't season 2 supposed to come out yesterday?

I double checked that Netflix Canada was supposed to have season 2 on April 5th, but it still has only the first 11 episodes up.:huh:

That's odd, Netflix uploaded it everywhere on Friday

I checked multiple times, but season 2 didn't finally appear until 11 am on Saturday. Weird.

That being said, it was worth the wait. I tore through the first 6 episodes yesterday and they were as good as season 1, especially the 6th episode "The Missionaries".

While I am enjoying the 2nd season, they have effectively killed the "iconic" aspects of the Sabrina mythology. Salem is useless and not even a character and Harvey has zero charm and I'm not interested in him/Sabrina being together. I'm all about Sabrina/Nicholas.

To be fair Kiernan is allergic to cats so it's hard to film much of anything with her and the cat. Not to mention possibly a safety issue for the studio if she has an anaphylactic or hive reaction. Tho they could do more with Salem interacting with the other characters and do more with Salem's shadow form.

I'm only mid way through this, but honestly I think I might be enjoying it more than the first season so far.

To be fair Kiernan is allergic to cats so it's hard to film much of anything with her and the cat. Not to mention possibly a safety issue for the studio if she has an anaphylactic or hive reaction. Tho they could do more with Salem interacting with the other characters and do more with Salem's shadow form.

She doesnt need to always be holding Salem, he doesnt even talk. They could cgi him if need be but either way there is nothing about Salem that is Salem except being a black cat. He doesnt even protect Sabrina anymore like he did in S1.

Overall, I thought it was a really good first season. I liked the charm of the first half of the season better, but I felt like the second half had a bit more meat to it overall.

A few thoughts...
- I love the Spellmans. Sabrina, Zelda, Hilda and Ambrose. One of my favorite family units on television.

- That being said, Mrs. Satan was my season 1 MVP. She ate all the scenery.

- We need more Salem. I get Shipka is allergic, but then we need him talk to others or something. Hell, he needs to talk.

- This show has so many hilariously campy moments that feel intention, to Nolan inspired bad extra delivers, to over-the-top "sexy" moments, to performing Masquerade for the devil.

- How "fast" Harvey has gotten over Sabrina is hilarious, and so much BS. I am not a fan of Nick, and while Harvey can be considered "boring", I found his and Sabrina relationship rather enjoyable during the first half of the season. Which made the second half of the season ring rather hollow in that regard.

- Father Blackwood... :lmao:

Finally got to finish this season and I have to say that it was miles above the quality and storytelling of last season. Don't get me wrong, I loved last season, but this was like next level storytelling. This show is always compared to Buffy and I never really saw it until this season and I'm saying that in a good way. I loved the more focused and heavy hitting storylines we got this season. I honestly don't have anything negative to say about it.

Now off to do some recaps!

Finished it last night and I agree that overall I think it was much better than Season 1. This season just flowed better for me than the last one, and I really liked what they did with some of the characters, especially Prudence and Ms. Wardwell. Also, damn can I not wait for the next season. That ending was perfection.

It really was. I cannot wait for the next season and see where they go from here.

He is definetly going to be on the run next season with Prudence and Ambrose trailing him.

I'm really loving Sabrina. Definitely my favorite show at the moment.

Same, I’m feeling like it’s (I know this is a cliche) the new buddy but unlike the other ones it’s not trying to be. I just mean it’s scratching that itch as opposed to trying to mimic what made buffs a success.

Anyway, I’m excited to see more of Lilith and definitely more of Sabrina’s parentage

I think Hollis means part 2.

Part 2 is rather different to Part 1 imo. Like Part 1 it has it's issues, though I find them different from Part 1's. I really enjoy both though, and I am all about the family dynamic of the Spellmans, which is strong throughout. Though as Hollis mentioned not liking the start of Part 1, I might not be the best one to ask. The first two episodes might be my favorite part of the show so far.

I find the morality and moral boundaries of the series to be a tad confusing (if not problematic). With stuff like The Munsters, The Addams Family and the 90s Sabrina, the “dark” elements are (obviously) played for laughs. And Lucifer, oddly enough, is almost Biblically moral. (Though Lucifer punishes evildoers, he doesn’t cause evil. He’s pretty much a superhero vigilante.) But on Chilling/Sabrina, the hero’s affiliations with the forces of darkness aren’t especially ambiguous or subverted. For instance, when witches worship Satan (as they do), it’s not that Satan is a misunderstood figure who’s been unfairly “demonized” by society or the church. He really is evil. And everyone knows it.

I find the morality and moral boundaries of the series to be a tad confusing (if not problematic). With stuff like The Munsters, The Addams Family and the 90s Sabrina, the “dark” elements are (obviously) played for laughs. And Lucifer, oddly enough, is almost Biblically moral. (Though Lucifer punishes evildoers, he doesn’t cause evil. He’s pretty much a superhero vigilante.) But on Chilling/Sabrina, the hero’s affiliations with the forces of darkness aren’t especially ambiguous or subverted. For instance, when witches worship Satan (as they do), it’s not that Satan is a misunderstood figure who’s been unfairly “demonized” by society or the church. He really is evil. And everyone knows it.
The way I see it, is it is fausting. They know they are entering into a deal with a bad force, but what they get out of it is worth it to them. That it is a family thing, does seem to make it all "normal" for those involved. Their morality is skewed to accept witch norms, which is what makes Sabrina stick out. Like how Ambrose explains to Sabrina what she'd be getting or giving up depending on if she had her dark baptism or not. The things she is willing to do, or takes issue with. Probably explains why they try to make it more palatable, with the religion.

The most interesting thing to me, and I wonder if this evolves beyond the basics, is that there does seem to be a lot perversion to the witch's "code" if you will. The men in charge of the Church of Night seem to use it like any other religion. For their own purposes. How much have they changed things?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"