THE CINEMA LOUNGE

He looks great :cool: ....but he's only 42, still officially a little nipper (as anyone younger than me shall be known as).

He looks great :cool: ....but he's only 42, still officially a little nipper (as anyone younger than me shall be known as).
Yeah but I thought since he had such a “cute boy” face that he’d age like Leo, where it would start to get awkward once he hit 30. Did not realize “distinguished silver fox” was ever in the cards for him. :hehe:

Yeah but I thought since he had such a “cute boy” face that he’d age like Leo, where it would start get awkward once he hit 30. Did not realize “distinguished silver fox” was ever in the cards for him. :hehe:
Oh, I see what you mean. Fair :up: The nipper is ageing well.

Probably a hot take here, but I could not make it past 1 hour in Tar. It’s all just so dull in every aspect. I feel bad because clearly lots of folks loved it. Oh well

I didn't care for the first half of Tar either but the 2nd half was incredible.

I didn't think Tar needed to be as long as it was, although ironically I think it ended too abruptly. Blanchett carried the hell out of it.

I’ve heard but, I don’t know…can’t make myself get back into it.

Personally, I enjoyed the first half more, because things started getting too rushed in the second. I definitely plan to watch it again, but it just didn't stick with me after seeing it in theaters, outside of Blanchett's performance. Probably my least favorite of Field's films, but I do certainly hope he doesn't take 16 freaking years until the next one, because he is brilliant.

Kind of nuts to think that the first Transformers movie is 15 years old. I was in college when it came out :o

The most important award of the whole season if you ask me

I'm sure all the ripped off faces and severed heads of his victims from the Bay movies are enough of a reward, this is just one more for the pile.

Kind of nuts to think that the first Transformers movie is 15 years old. I was in college when it came out :o
I had just graduated high school and was about to start college. I don't want to think about how long it's been. :o

I just watched back to back the Clerks trilogy and having finished Clerks III I get why it was divisive with some fans. Some things I did not like about it but it also felt like their reality where things don't alway so neatly and nicely tidy up. Dante and Randal's lives really hit home in a way even though I'm not in their position or age. 30 years off and on working in that store, loving and hating it, eventually owning it and giving it their all.

They were also so transparently Kevin Smith more so than they were in Clerks or Clerks II. He had his near death experience several years ago so there is no way he could not write it into this movie somehow. I thought it was fitting if a little too on the nose (this doctor was almost a carbon copy of the actual doctor from what I recall of Smith's experience).

The ending was definitely unexpected too. Not where I would have imagined going but I know why he did it. He couldn't help it. Most disappointed with how he handled Rebecca though.

I didn't like Smith killing off Rebecca and their unborn daughter pretty much right after Clerks II ended and then having Dante grieve for 15 years going absolutely nowhere While it does fit into the unpredictability of life and the messiness of losing someone with Dante being once again stuck in neutral, it felt like such a wasted oppurtunity for Dante and Rebecca to have a more contentious relationship with Dante screwing it up again and his daughter Grace being at odds with him but maybe that is too predictable a trope. His life as a convienence store clerk with a nearly adult daughter who can't stand him might have been a better and less bitter story.

Then killing Dante off abruptly with a heart attack, the otherside of the coin where Kevin Smith could have landed, felt like he was trying to do some kind of duality. Leaving Randal semi-alone is harsh. He has Elias but Elias is a poor stand in for Dante and I guess this is Smith's way of saying there will never be another Clerks movie.

I kind of wish he would do another Clerks movie, in say another 15-20 years with a now senior aged Randal and middle aged Elias still running the store with Jay and Silent Bob up to whatever pot related shenanagins they are involved in, as well as the rest of the customers and aquaintences making appearances.

It could not be the same without Dante but then that is also the point. Seeing Randal in this place over the course of 50 years would be something. What has happened to him without his best friend and anchor? Does he ever grow up or find love himself?

I can't think of any series where the same characters played by the same actors grow up and grow old over such a long time period. Then again maybe it is for the best it ends here. That could easily be a severe misfire if not handled properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"