The City of Tomorrow: The Metropolis Thread

...tap into the silvers, blues, and golds that the STAS did.

Make it the pristine bright shiny "nice" version of Burton's Gotham, with more advanced technology of course.

Actually it might be fun to save metropolis as the teaser at the end and have the whole movie set in smallville

Actually it might be fun to save metropolis as the teaser at the end and have the whole movie set in smallville

Oh no please, besides he is an already established Superman so I think Smallville will be a back drop. I would rather see him around the world than just Smallville.

Make it a blend of all the biggest, brightest cities in the world.
Borrow their best buildings, and even make up some new ones.

There used to be a catch 22 to filming live action superhero movies set in fictional cities.

Either you follow the Donner/Nolan model and pick a real city to film in, so that it has the scale of a real city. But the trade off is that its going to look like a real city because it is, so you are stuck with how it looks.

Or you follow the Tim Burton model where you design something completely fictional and the only way you can create it is sets and matte paintings (or CGI), which will look striking but will limit how big and real it looks because you are filming on a set.

Yeah, I kind of want the DC world to be set in cities that don’t look exactly like ours ala Tim Burton’s Gotham and the Batman/Superman animated series.

Literally borrow from the film Metropolis lol big sets!
Absolutely.

I think The Batman, and maybe even Superman Returns, struck the right balance between something visually unique yet feeling real and open. I'd love for them to take that further with Metropolis, finally.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I feel metropolis should not only be the largest city on the planet, but the most futuristic.
Mostly thanks to Lex for creating competition to build the biggest, tallest, and most outlandish skyscrapers on the planet ( all pre superman )

Gunn had some huge sets made for TSS, so I don't doubt his approach to having real, palpable sets where he can.

There used to be a catch 22 to filming live action superhero movies set in fictional cities.

Either you follow the Donner/Nolan model and pick a real city to film in, so that it has the scale of a real city. But the trade off is that its going to look like a real city because it is, so you are stuck with how it looks.

Or you follow the Tim Burton model where you design something completely fictional and the only way you can create it is sets and matte paintings (or CGI), which will look striking but will limit how big and real it looks because you are filming on a set.
If they can get The Volume to work as well as Fraser did for The Batman, then I think it should work. Big sets for the parts of the city we interact with, but then embellished with CGI to make it really avant-garde and futuristic.

I am actually curious to know where this ends up filming. Ideally a city with a good enough foundation to really flesh Metropolis out with SFX.

I am actually curious to know where this ends up filming. Ideally a city with a good enough foundation to really flesh Metropolis out with SFX.
Chicago. :o

I think Vancouver is a great choice. They can always cgi out all the maple syrup

I also think Melbourne in Australia would be cool. We just got a massive new sound stage for big productions and we’re routinely voted most liveable cities in the world which gives a metropolis vibe

And smallville

It would be such a contrast to Liverpool as Gotham

Has Metropolis City ever been shown to be a coastal city?

Has Metropolis City ever been shown to be a coastal city?
In Superman Returns, yes. Also it looks like a coastal city in S&L but they’ve now established it’s only a relatively short drive from Smallville so maybe it’s just next to a big lake or something in that, who knows lol.

In the comics it’s usually on the Delaware Bay.

You should be able to look at Metropolis and see why it's called the "City of Tomorrow." The concept should be visually represented in the same way Reeves' Gotham epitomized "rainy, dreary hellhole."

Personally, I'd go for a retro futuristic look, but I'm not super picky.

I want very modern looking buildings. When I try to liken it to a real city in my head, it’s like Dubai, but with more buildings and green space. And sky walkways, dammit! :argh:

That's actually a good take for metropolis. I wouldn't mind big blue skies and a slightly golden tone to the overall city. At night it should look like it's every bit as alive in the day time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"