The City of Tomorrow: The Metropolis Thread

I love the Volume, and I hate that it’s taking so many hits because Disney decided to use it as an all-purpose tool.

I love the Volume, and I hate that it’s taking so many hits because Disney decided to use it as an all-purpose tool.
That's how it goes. Same thing happened with CGI.

giphy.gif

You don't need big sets for Supes flying through clouds, The Volume would be great for some dynamic flying scenes.

One thing that excites me about flying scenes in a new Superman movie... drone cameras. So many cool camera angles possible now in filming Superman in flight.

Gunn has used practical and CGI pretty well. Especially in TSS.

Supposedly Atlanta has been chosen for filming. Not that they may use it for exteriors, but I have never been very impressed with the look of the city, quite generic.

Keep in mind that just because Atlanta is one of the locations, it doesn't mean its the only location they will shoot at. Also, Atlanta has sound stages which are going to be used to build sets on.

Trilith Studios

Honestly, as far as street-view goes, Atlanta wouldn’t be a bad choice.

I wonder how much real location shooting they are going to do or if this is going to be a modern day Batman 88/Returns type situation where they build giant sets to create a stylized fictional city (with CGI enhancements).

I wonder how much real location shooting they are going to do or if this is going to be a modern day Batman 88/Returns type situation where they build giant sets to create a stylized fictional city (with CGI enhancements).
I want them to do everything possible. Great sets, on location, CGI enhancements. Everything must be used for this film.

I have never properly watched GOTG but from the short snippets I have scene I really like the set designs. I was thinking today, do we want animatronic puppets and prosthetic suits for other aliens and such. Gunn has shown he likes to work with that so hopefully its what we get

Wouldn’t Atlanta be a bit too wet for this?

EDIT: I was thinking of Atlantis, all good.

I'm guessing they're mainly using Atlanta for its soundstages, and maybe some street scenes. Doesn't mean Metropolis will have Atlanta's skyline or anything like that.

I want very modern looking buildings. When I try to liken it to a real city in my head, it’s like Dubai, but with more buildings and green space. And sky walkways, dammit! :argh:
Dubai would be great if it weren't for the lack of green. Unless Metropolis has nothing but palm trees now lol. Chicago is, I guess, the closest I can think of - but it was already used as a DC city in TDK and MOS and kind of just looked like Chicago lol.

I could see them filming in Trilith Studios for interiors and use downtown and midtown Atlanta for some exterior shots. They can shoot on Peachtree Street for some exterior shots requiring extras. If they want to use an actual skyscraper for the Daily Planet than you have plenty to choose from. You can also do what Superman Returns did. They filmed exterior shots in Sydney but they built the entire front entrance of the Daily Planet between two soundstages.

Marvel films a lot in Atlanta. They're filming right now in Georgia with Captain America and then Thunderbolts is supposed to be next.

Me personally, I think that the ideal template for Metropolis comes from a rather unexpected source: The League of Super-Pets.

FrmGGqrWYAETX5e

FxqdZeoXgAAlifY

The futuristic art deco architecture is just perfect, it homages Superman's retro roots while looking into the tomorrow.

I also really hope that Gunn will deliver far more worldbuilding into Metropolis than previous adaptations, with not just the Daily Planet and LexCorp, but also Suicide Slum, Stryker's Island, STAR Labs, Galaxy Communications, Centennial Park, Big Belly Burger, to name a few.

Last edited:
Need to see Metropolis given the full art deco treatment. No exceptions.

Me personally, I think that the ideal template for Metropolis comes from a rather unexpected source: The League of Super-Pets.

FrmGGqrWYAETX5e

FxqdZeoXgAAlifY

The futuristic art deco architecture is just perfect, it homages Superman's retro roots while looking into the tomorrow.

I also really hope that Gunn will deliver far more worldbuilding into Metropolis than previous adaptations, with not just the Daily Planet and LexCorp, but also Suicide Slum, Stryker's Island, STAR Labs, Galaxy Communications, Centennial Park, Big Belly Burger, to name a few.

I just saw this recently and it was heaps of fun. Even the metropolis we saw in Lego dc super villains is really good. Right vibe, right music. Very cool

Need to see Metropolis given the full art deco treatment. No exceptions.
Agreed. I don't want a current modern city sitting in as a substitute for Metropolis.
That's just "blah".

If it were up to me, I'd take all of the biggest and best skyscrapers from around the world, and combine them into one city on a bay.
I'd even have my concept artist create new skyscrapers to fit into it.

I'd have connecting skywalks and train tracks/rails connecting to the bigger buildings.
Lex would of course have the tallest, biggest, building. Ego and all.

I'd want Metropolis to be as big as this, maybe even bigger.
Screenshot_20230617-224726_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I just want Metropolis to not look like a sound stage…

Give us real-world locations for filming and pepper in CGI to make it not look like Vancouver or Atlanta, or wherever DC is planning on filming

I had an idea for a scene of Clark once, on a construction site .

Clark is absent-mindedly wondering around metropolis ( he has Lois on his mind ) and he accidentally stumbles onto a construction site.

A crane operator is demolishing a building with a wrecking ball.

He releases the ball for another swing just as he sees Clark walk into the danger.

He screams to look out, but it's too late.

He sees the several ton steel ball strike the man and a cloud of dust appears, a loud metallic sound is heard as the whole crane shudders.

The operator hurriedly rushes down as other construction workers gather.
They expect the worst.

But no one is around. The operator says I know it hit him, I saw it. No one could have survived that.

The chat among themselves about it until one Gasps out loud and points at the wrecking ball.
It slowly rotates around and we see a handprint embedded about two inches deep into the side of it.

The operators face turns white and he looks up and around. He knows who it was it hit.
Someone says in a hushed tone, that was superman!

Last edited:
I had an idea for a scene of Clark once, on a construction site .

Clark is absent-mindedly wondering around metropolis ( he has Lois on his mind ) and he accidentally stumbles onto a construction site.

A crane operator is demolishing a building with a wrecking ball.

He releases the ball for another swing just as he sees Clark walk into the danger.

He screams to look out, but it's too late.

He sees the several ton steel ball strike the man and a cloud of dust appears, a loud metallic sound is heard as the whole crane shudders.

The operator hurriedly rushes down as other construction workers gather.
They expect the worst.

But no one is around. The operator says I know it hit him, I saw it. No one could have survived that.

The chat among themselves about it until one Gasps out loud and points at the wrecking ball.
It slowly rotates around and we see a handprint embedded about two inches deep into the side of it.

The operators face turns white and he looks up and around. He knows who it was it hit.
Someone says in a hushed tone, that was superman!
While fun it does remind me of goofy Clark from whatever Reeve intro had him causing chaos throughout the city by being a bumbling fool which was a little too much. I cant imagine Clark accidentally finding himself in the path of a wrecking ball.

It might be fun to play with the anachronistic factor with Clark in an actual city. Like, he’s this Clark gable guy wandering around a modern city. I could see him standing out in a fun way that would obviously contrast with his experiences as superman

Agreed. I don't want a current modern city sitting in as a substitute for Metropolis.
That's just "blah".

If it were up to me, I'd take all of the biggest and best skyscrapers from around the world, and combine them into one city on a bay.
I'd even have my concept artist create new skyscrapers to fit into it.

I'd have connecting skywalks and train tracks/rails connecting to the bigger buildings.
Lex would of course have the tallest, biggest, building. Ego and all.

I'd want Metropolis to be as big as this, maybe even bigger.
View attachment 65891

I like the idea of a massive, sprawling city, but it can't look like Gotham or Mega-City one from Dredd. Like a cleaner (friendlier lol) New York City. Nothing too futuristic / sci-fi (this isn't Krypton), but really embody that City of Tomorrow moniker.

arseniy-chebynkin-modern-metropolis-twilight-d2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"