The COMICBOOK GOD returns to Batman in LAST DAYS OF GOTHAM

Comics N' Toons

Viva La Revolucion!
Reaction score
DENNY O'NEIL is going to do a 2 parter....

"Last Days of Gotham"

personally for me this is going to be the best thing to happen to Batman in a long time....

THOUGHTS?????????????????????????

I'm going to view this thread as false, due to not seeing the words "Alan" and "Moore" anywhere in the first post.

yea, this was announced at Comic Con i believe, when they announced Gaiman was doing his 2 parter.

Personally, i'm not very excited. I've read a bunch of O'Neal stuff and didn't find it all that good. Sometimes i blame the time period, as most 70's comics just had really awful melodramatic crap dialog. But i didn't like alot of Question stuff either. He did do a Spirit story in i believe the Christmas special that came out last December that was good, and the story he did in "Nightfall" was good too, the conclusion i think it was. So it's no doubt in my mind that this will be good, but for the time being, i'll be indifferent to it until i read it. I'm more excited about Neil Gaiman's Batman project personally.

yea, this was announced at Comic Con i believe, when they announced Gaiman was doing his 2 parter.

Personally, i'm not very excited. I've read a bunch of O'Neal stuff and didn't find it all that good. Sometimes i blame the time period, as most 70's comics just had really awful melodramatic crap dialog. But i didn't like alot of Question stuff either. He did do a Spirit story in i believe the Christmas special that came out last December that was good, and the story he did in "Nightfall" was good too, the conclusion i think it was. So it's no doubt in my mind that this will be good, but for the time being, i'll be indifferent to it until i read it. I'm more excited about Neil Gaiman's Batman project personally.
Man, we're talking about the guy who created Ra's Al Ghul here.

Ra's Al Ghul is a mediocre villian.

But O'Neil's a decent writer. I have respect for him. I'll defiantly be checking the new comics out. But he's far from a "God". In fact, no writer is a "God". They have their moments, but they're a dime a dozen.

Yea, and?

Listen, i own Tales Of The Demon, 2 of the Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told(1 that has a bunch of O'Neal scripted stories and the other with Joker's 5 Way Revenge), The Question vol. 1 and 2 TPBS as well as some various other stories.

That being said, i didn't think too much of them. I respect what O'Neal did for Batman, which is great. But i can't get into it. I can't get into alot of '70's comics, because the dialog is just melodramatic crap. Tomb Of Dracula is one of my favorite comics EVER, and re-reading the issues in the omnibus that recently came out, alot of the dialog in there sucks too. Dracula always saying how he needs to drink blood in some over the top expression, always talking about how badass he is. The love scenes are crap, too. Roy Thomas's Conan stuff was the same way. Conan running around yelling "BY CROM!" all the time. Gimme a break. Fun stuff to read, but terrible dialog. And alot of it impedes on the art work. The last thing i want to see is a bunch of crappy dialog covering 70 % of Barry Windsor-Smith's AMAZING artwork.

Example: Steve Englehart's "Night Of The Stalker" and Darwyn Cooke's re-telling of it, "Deja Vu".

It's an intense story. My problem with Night of The Stalker is that the narration boxes spoon feed you all that's going on in the panel, thus negating the art work. In the story, Batman witnesses a child's parents getting gunned down in front of him, and it reminds Batman of his own situation. He gets pissed off to the extreme. But what kills it is Englehart telling us this, Bruce remembering the gun shots, the pearls hitting the ground, his mother screaming, blah blah blah. We can see all of this in the art work. I don't need him telling me all that i can see.

Cooke takes the same story, and for the most part, there's no writing on the page. Cooke shows us visually, all that Batman is feeling. We see that he's angry and at the same time, feel his anger with him. Cooke doesn't tell us how angry he is, and tells us to watch as the Batman races across the rooftops in anger, cape billowing in the wind behind him, fists clenched with rage in some sort of over the top melodramatic way.

Im sorry, but that kind of writing just takes me out of the story. Hell, my dad stopped reading O'Neal's work with the Green Lantern/Green Arrow issue where Speedy becomes a junkie, because he felt they had no idea what they were talking about, and because it was stupid.

So i don't know. I just can't get into that stuff.

I am definitely interested to see what O'Neill has got up his sleeve now. But I agree with a poster earlier in the thread. O'Neill just by himself is pretty cool but having Neal Adams do the artwork as well would really cement it for me.

your talking about the guy that brought Arkham Asylum into the methos & revived the Shadow twice (both DC & Marvel)

and his work on Green Lantern green Arrow

My God.... how is this guy just another writer.

O'Neil and Adams' best work was on Green Lantern/Green Arrow. That's right, I said it. I'd be much more excited if he was taking over Green Arrow.

your talking about the guy that brought Arkham Asylum into the methos & revived the Shadow twice (both DC & Marvel)

My God his work on Green Lantern and Green Arrow! They were terrific... And since Stan Lee's work on FF and Spiderman was so great why don't we let Stan Lee write Spawn?

All of his work is great, but he's no where near as legendary as Alan Moore.

that's probably true, but o'neil should be a bat-fan's saviour, because w/o him, a lot of batman's mythology wouldn't exist

Because like every other writer he is not immune to mediocrity. Two examples are his Superman stories which are amongst the worst in that character's history. Or Batman: Shaman which I personally have always liked but could understand how people could hate it due to how sloppily written it all is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"