Iron Man 2 The Critics review Iron Man 2

So the fan review thread has once again become a TDK thread... and now this thread has reverted to a Bay/Transformers thread. That's when you know something ain't right about this film.

But while we are on the subject of TF, if Bay felt the schedule was so tight, why the **** did he agree to come back only two years later and have the next film out by 2011? Seriously what is Paramount paying this guy? That's why Bay is to blame. Yeah he can improvise and maximize his available time to produce inevitable garbage, but why not take the extra year and at least have an actual shooting script in place. Obviously there is no strike looming this time around, but it is still a tight ass schedule. Paramount didn't learn their lesson it seems, and I hope it shreds their box office the next go around.

Last edited:
Ever since DMC did what before had never been done and got an officially rotten on RT movie to cross $400M, nothing suprises me any more.

So the fan review thread has once again become a TDK thread... and now this thread has reverted to a Bay/Transformers thread. That's when you know something ain't right about this film.

But while we are on the subject of TF, if Bay felt the schedule was so tight, why the **** did he agree to come back only two years later and have the next film out by 2011? Seriously what is Paramount paying this guy? That's why Bay is to blame. Yeah he can improvise and maximize his available time to produce inevitable garbage, but why not take the extra year this time around and actually have a shooting script in place. Obviously there is no strike looming this time around, but it is still a tight ass schedule. Paramount didn't learn their lesson it seems, and I hope it shreds their box office the next go around.

Bay supposedly made $80 million from directing TF1. I'm sure he made even more from TF2. Seems pretty obvious why he did it even if he didn't "want" to do it. :oldrazz:

Yeah this thread isn't going right at all when you're talking about other movies.

Last edited:
Bay supposedly made $80 million from directing TF1. I'm sure he made even more from TF2. Seems pretty obvious why he did it even if he didn't "want" to do it. :oldrazz:

Whatever, there is no way in hell they get away with it this time around. Too many movies are coming out in that stretch. It's basically 2011's Spiderman reboot, sandwiched between GL and Potter/Cap. Hopefully Bay takes in an even bigger chunk and packs his bags while Paramount struggles to recuperate.

It's not only the money - obviously he has a lot of clout over at Paramount and if he burned bridges by passing over TF2, it would be bad.

Bay is still largely to blame over TF2 rotten script.

Ehren Kruger and Michael Bay are the one's who kept on "polishing" the Orci/Kurtzman script that was based on an outline by Bay.

Bay had complete creative control with what he wanted to do (for the exception of scheduling) and decided to add annoying and crude elements instead of tried and successful cliches.

I far would have preferred that to most of the garbage that is held within the walls of TF2.

As far as 2 movies, I can see why DMC was successful, mainly because dispite it's inperfections, the movie felt very much like an "Empire Strikes Back" type of movie. What was strange to me watching in the theater is the movie kept going and going, and it ended very strangely. Still I had a positive reaction. Now in AWE, all that was out the window, and it was a muddled piece of crap. I think had the third part been a little stronger, people would have liked DMC a little better.

This is sort of how LOTR dealt with this. TTT, was by far the weakest chapter, and really dragged in someplaces, with alot of unessesary exposition, like Aragorn falling off his horse and somehow being saved by Arwen in a dream, but Gollum carried that film, and because ROTK was so strong, it made TTT better than it probably was as a stand alone.

TF2, was just a flat out jumbled mess. First off having transformers with their cyber balls dangling onscreen, I knew the movie was in trouble. Not bringing back Jon Voight was a huge mistake, as he was the glue in the first film that kept it from turning into a total cheese fest.

I think TF2 had elements of a good movie, but there was too much adolecent cheese in the movie to find it. Meghan Fox as hot as she is, is just a terrible actress. She makes Pam Anderson look like she has talent.

I find it hard to believe that IM2 is anywhere close to being as weak as those films were, and the current reviews seem to point to it being stronger as well. So what if it's not as good as the original. Is it still a good movie? I don't know, but I'll find out on Friday.

Alot of people panned Sherlock Holmes but I thought that was one of the top movies of 2009, maybe right behind Star Trek, and certainly better than Avatar. It's a shame Star Trek didn't get best picture nod, because really story wise it was a superior film to Avatar, which was nothing but 2.5 hrs of eye candy.

Yeah this thread isn't going right at all when your talking about other movies.

There aren't any new reviews being posted yet and most of us still haven't seen the movie. Not much on-topic discussion to be had at the moment IMHO. As soon as Thursday/Friday rolls around, that will change for sure. More reviews will come in and everyone here will get a chance to see it so they can analyze it on here. :oldrazz:

Bay is still largely to blame over TF2 rotten script.

Ehren Kruger and Michael Bay are the one's who kept on "polishing" the Orci/Kurtzman script that was based on an outline by Bay.

Bay had complete creative control with what he wanted to do (for the exception of scheduling) and decided to add annoying and crude elements instead of tried and successful cliches.

I far would have preferred that to most of the garbage that is held within the walls of TF2.

To be fair, Orci and Kurtzman admited to being responsible for a lot of the cringeworthy humor. Plus, it sounds like Kruger was responsible for alot of the fanwanking moments.

This is sort of how LOTR dealt with this. TTT, was by far the weakest chapter, and really dragged in someplaces, with alot of unessesary exposition, like Aragorn falling off his horse and somehow being saved by Arwen in a dream, but Gollum carried that film, and because ROTK was so strong, it made TTT better than it probably was as a stand alone.

Funnily enough I know a lot of LOTR nuts that consider TTT their favorite. In fact last I visited the IMDB page, Return of the King was getting quite a bad rap amongst the the fanboys, people are beginning to realise the movie is nothing but set piece after set piece.

To be fair, Orci and Kurtzman admited to being responsible for a lot of the cringeworthy humor. Plus, it sounds like Kruger was responsible for alot of the fanwanking moments.

I specifically remember them separating themselves from the Twins who much of the way they acted and looked like was conceived by Kruger and Bay.

Don't know where your getting that they are the ones that gave us that atrocious humor.

FLJ: ...I heard that the gold tooth was [Director Michael] Bay’s idea, but do you have anything to say to people who found The Twins offensive?

Orci: Number one, we sympathize. Yes, the gold tooth was not in the script. That’s true.

Kurtzman: It’s really hard for us to sit here and try to justify it. I think that would be very foolish, and if someone wants to be offended by it, it’s their right. We were very surprised when we saw it, too, and it’s a choice that was made. I think if anything it shows you that we don’t control every aspect of the movie.

FLJ: Were you offended by them?

Kurtzman: I wasn’t thrilled. I certainly wasn’t thrilled.

Orci: Same reaction. I’m not easily offended, but when I saw it, I thought, ‘Someone’s gonna write about that.’”

As pure cinema, Fellowship is by far the best of the three. THAT is the one that should've won best picture. Mystic River should've won over Return of the King.

Funnily enough I know a lot of LOTR nuts that consider TTT their favorite. In fact last I visited the IMDB page, Return of the King was getting quite a bad rap amongst the the fanboys, people are beginning to realise the movie is nothing but set piece after set piece.

Why would you torture yourself like that. :o

Last edited:

I'm not really a LOTR fan by any means, but TTT has always been my favorite. It's kind of a nice combination of 1 and 3 without going too far in either direction. It reminds me of the Bourne series. Bourne Supremacy is every bit as good as Ultimatum, possibly even better than Ultimatum. The thing I love about it is that it has some pretty deep themes and so forth, yet it doesn't have this feeling of the end approaching. You still sense that Bourne is still lost to a degree, even though he does get a lot of answers in the film.

I specifically remember them separating themselves from the Twins who much of the way they acted and looked like was conceived by Kruger and Bay.

Don't know where your getting that they are the ones that gave us that atrocious humor.

I was getting that bit of information about them being responsible from the DVD commentary. Plus, the article you posted only mentioned Bay. And I never said he wasn't involved with the bad humor. :cwink:

While we are in the LOTR thread, I liked TTT a lot. Fellowship is the most enjoyable, but TTT just had that meat. The trees and the side plots that branched off tested my patience (and man the trees almost killed the movie for me), but that aside, you really felt a story developing. Plots thickening. And you cared for the characters even more so. ROTK was awesome too, but the story was basically already established and it just felt like one long ass climax.

I was getting that bit of information about them being responsible from the DVD commentary. Plus, the article you posted only mentioned Bay. And I never said he wasn't involved with the bad humor. :cwink:

Maybe this will work better:

"Although they couldn't remember the origins of Devastator's testicles. Orci thought that Bay had demanded "a big pair of testicles." But Kurtzman reminded him that it was actually co-writer Ehren Krueger's idea, when the three of them were holed up for a few months writing the script after the writers' strike. "The testicles are in the script," Kurtzman said. "Well, it's a construction machine, so you of course have wrecking balls. And Michael, immediately, of course, loved it."

- io9

As for the DVD commentary it is sanctioned by Bay and Paramount, I'm sure Orci/Kurtzman aren't going to say anything to negative about what happened to their script once it reached the hand of the Kruger/Bay.

I don't want to digress, to far, as this thread is already well off the railroad tracks, but I can certainly see why people favor it. I just think of the three, it's the less complete chapter. For me it was Fellowship because of Sean Bean. That man is a great actor, and I don't know why he doesn't get more big roles.

In any case, my big comparison is that if IM2 is somewhat of a downer from one, doesn't make it a bad movie per-say. We'll have to see. However if Avengers doesn't work, I can see fans being disgruntled with the direction IM2 took, although I'd argue this was the angle from IM1.

Doesn't make it a bad film, but it should have been so much better, there's no excuse because it was set up perfectly. If Avengers doesn't work, mark IM2 as the turning point for where things went wrong.

wow thanks for all the updated reviews of Iron Man 2 guys... oh no wait, someone this thread keeps bloody changing into a Dark Knight to now Transformers 2 thread... big epic bags of win...

wow thanks for all the updated reviews of Iron Man 2 guys... oh no wait, someone this thread keeps bloody changing into a Dark Knight to now Transformers 2 thread... big epic bags of win...
Along with LOTR, which you have to admit is a step up from TF2. :oldrazz:

TTT felt too much like a bridging gap to me, nothing much happened outside the big battles, the subplots themselves felt hollow and uninteresting. Especially Sam and Frodo's parts...

FOTR wins because it's closest to the books:o

Just watched it, thought it was great. Not as charming as the first, but the action more than makes up for it.

RDJ is still great in the role, Rockwell was a beast, Rourke was the man. Cheadle oozed cool.

And seriously, all these people *****ing about the Avengers stuff getting in the way of the plot? Errr... there is literally 3 hints at the Avengers in the whole film. 2 of which are simply passing comments like "I have been reassigned to New Mexico".

RT's official consensus is up:
It isn't quite the breath of fresh air that Iron Man was, but this sequel comes close with solid performances and an action-packed plot.

Hmm, not too sure about the 'action packed' bit, but I guess the 'solid performances' is at least fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"