The Curious Case of Spider-Man & Hulk Rights (Or Keep Hope Alive That the Rights Will Revert)

Wunner if it's the same for Namor?? How does Marvel make a She-Hulk? Not a movie? Different than Hulk rights?
If Hulk and Namor rights are the same, then it's a shame that Namor hasn't been in the MCU yet.

Wunner if it's the same for Namor?? How does Marvel make a She-Hulk? Not a movie? Different than Hulk rights?

I'm assuming since Disney isn't distributing She-Hulk as a film, Universal's film distribution rights don't come into play.

As for Namor, I remember someone saying years ago it was 'complicated' - more so than Hulk. And I’ve seen it theorized (and this kind of makes sense) that the ‘complication’ was Namor was a mutant and that gave both Fox and Universal a partial claim.

If that’s true, now that Disney owns Fox, that complication should be greatly reduced, and now Namor should be the same as Hulk.

And that would allow Marvel to feature him in films as long as it’s not actually a Namor film.

I'm assuming since Disney isn't distributing She-Hulk as a film, Universal's film distribution rights don't come into play.

As for Namor, I remember someone saying years ago it was 'complicated' - more so than Hulk. And I’ve seen it theorized (and this kind of makes sense) that the ‘complication’ was Namor was a mutant and that gave both Fox and Universal a partial claim.

If that’s true, now that Disney owns Fox, that complication should be greatly reduced, and now Namor should be the same as Hulk.

And that would allow Marvel to feature him in films as long as it’s not actually a Namor film.

Who wouldn't like to see him in an FF movie........

I wonder if they might use Hulk on one of their Disney+ productions to give it a boost??

I wonder if they might use Hulk on one of their Disney+ productions to give it a boost??

I’d be willing to bet Bruce will at least put in an appearance in She-Hulk - though maybe not as The Hulk.

Last edited:
I’d be willing to bet bruce will at least put in an appearance in She-Hulk - though maybe not as The Hulk.

Well he didn't show up as the Hulk even in Savage She-Hulk #1, although there was a pic featured of him when he was retelling his origin to Jennifer.

That’s what I was thinking. A pretty good fit.
Ruffalo seems to really like playing the Hulk, unlike some actors in the past who got their fame from playing comic characters. I can easily see him playing him in a Disney+ series. But I want to see him going against his own villains. I can't believe we have only got the Abomination so far.

Ruffalo seems to really like playing the Hulk, unlike some actors in the past who got their fame from playing comic characters. I can easily see him playing him in a Disney+ series. But I want to see him going against his own villains. I can't believe we have only got the Abomination so far.

Yeah. A fallout from not having distribution rights I suppose. I always wanted to see The Leader in action. A perfect fit for a clever plot. Also, I want Hulk back. I didn't like what was done to him in IW and, even more, EG. I liked Ragnarok Hulk and earlier Avengers Hulk.

Yeah, I'm sure all the folks with Spider-Man avatars on Twitter will salivate over this and say something akin to "THIS is the point where Disney buys Sony Pictures because Spider-Man!" but it's not. Like, at all.

Is there any evidence that Spider-Man’s film rights rights will revert back to Marvel if Sony is bought outside conjecture and wishful thinking?

Can't say I'm shocked. Some of their decisions are straight insane! I can't believe they thought crossing over 21 Jump Street with MIB would be a good franchise but yet we almost had it.

But, but, but what about Stuart Little, Charlie's Angels, and Hotel Transylvania? And the sure fire box office hit Ghostbusters?

In all probability, Spidey will be the one character we all want to see in the MCU, that will be a contract player.

Sony ain't gonna sell to Disney guys, sorry.

Unless they're just so hard up for a hit they have no choice. Spidey is their trump card.

Sony ain't gonna sell to Disney guys, sorry.

you don’t know that buddy. They said spidey won’t be in the mcu and here we are. I remember spidey in the mcu was a last resort said by mr hack himself avi arad. These guys are treading on thin ice. They might not sell but they won’t be around for long imo. They are stuck in a hard place cause if they take spidey out the mcu people will rage again . Nobody wants a Sony lead spidey movie. Reason why they are pushing hard as hell for venom to be mcu related.

idiots should of never made that film. Should of sat back and collected the check and take him out when they felt everything from asm blew over. Now they shot themsekves in the foot trying to create a pocket universe on the side with no Spider-Man . So they are trying to merge there universe and the mcu together. They better hope it works.
I don’t want them to have the license anymore. Since Spider-Man 2 they have droppped nothing but lackluster films. Into the spiderverse was made by Sony animation. Different ball park.

Last edited:
you don’t know that buddy. They said spidey won’t be in the mcu and here we are. I remember spidey in the mcu was a last resort said by mr hack himself avi arad. These guys are treading on thin ice. They might not sell but they won’t be around for long imo. They are stuck in a hard place cause if they take spidey out the mcu people will rage again . Nobody wants a Sony lead spidey movie. Reason why they are pushing hard as hell for venom to be mcu related.

idiots should of never made that film. Should of sat back and collected the check and take him out when they felt everything from asm blew over. Now they shot themsekves in the foot trying to create a pocket universe on the side with no Spider-Man . So they are trying to merge there universe and the mcu together. They better hope it works.
I don’t want them to have the license anymore. Since Spider-Man 2 they have droppped nothing but lackluster films. Into the spiderverse was made by Sony animation. Different ball park.

People have been proclaiming their doom for years. It hasn't happened yet and it's not happening anytime soon.

People have been proclaiming their doom for years. It hasn't happened yet and it's not happening anytime soon.

Yeah. I think they'll be hanging around for quite some time. They may get picked up and may pick up some smaller groups, but they sort of are what they are....a mid level studio that doesn't really put out a lot of quality. I did like Tarantino's new movie and saw Jumanji 2 for what it's worth. Still, it doesn't look like they are doing that well, but I'm about the farthest thing in the world from being an industry analyst.

Even if Sony wanted to sell to Disney, I doubt the government would allow it. I do think Sony will eventually be sold, they've got a strong catalog of TV and movies that would be attractive to bigger players/streamers in a world where scale matters more then ever. They can carve out a successful role as content arms dealers, but whether Sony would want to own a studio in that role is another matter.

Again you don’t know that. We will see. It’s not like they have multiple hits on there roster like fox did. I can only think of jumanji and Spider-Man

Since we've had lengthy discussions about streaming in this thread, it's worth noting that Disney + has amassed 28.6 million paid subscribers in just 47 days. So basically already half of Netflix's domestic sub total. Disney will be a monster in this space.

So back to Sony, if I were them and looking for a platform for those Lord & Miller Spidey shows, well....

But, but, but what about Stuart Little, Charlie's Angels, and Hotel Transylvania? And the sure fire box office hit Ghostbusters?

In all probability, Spidey will be the one character we all want to see in the MCU, that will be a contract player.
Yeah I don't see them selling the company to Disney either. I can see them selling Spidey back at some point because at the rate they are going with the bombs they are making, I just don't see how the movie division stays afloat. But Disney can't possibly buy Sony without the government stepping in because that will look like a complete monopoly at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"