The Curious Case of Spider-Man & Hulk Rights (Or Keep Hope Alive That the Rights Will Revert)

Once The Incredible Hulk and Hulk 2003 hit Disney+, that would be the confirmation.:bh:

Hulk 2003 may be a different case as Universal made that movie while Marvel Studios made TIH

Oh I forgot that Hulk 2003 was a Universal Pictures production.

I hope that 15 year eXpiration is true. I'm indifferent about a 2nd Hulk MCU movie. I feel like it would be coming out way too late but if they have a story, why not? If Marvel Studios plans to retire the Hulk, doing it in a solo movie instead of an Avengers movie would be bold.

Now it’s time we get the LAST piece of the Marvel Studios puzzle the Marvel Animated Features they released via Lionsgate.

Meh. I don't care if those are ever on D+. I won't watch em.

Well looks like the trades are confirming that at the very least the rights for The Incredible Hulk specifically are now back with Marvel. But they don't specify if this means the distrubition rights (or rather first rights refusal) as a whole are back with Marvel.

'Incredible Hulk' Gets Disney+ Release Date - Variety

I cannot imagine they don't get the rights. Make World War Hulk happen!!!! All the Hulk stuff is the main reason I am stoked for Cap 4!

From what I’ve read, Marvel has the rights now but Universal still controls the marketing. So imagine there’s still kinks to work out because no way Disney is going to let Universal market their movie.

From what I’ve read, Marvel has the rights now but Universal still controls the marketing. So imagine there’s still kinks to work out because no way Disney is going to let Universal market their movie.
Maybe just a case of paying them off?

No more confirmation needed. Disney has the distribution rights for the Hulk!
:bh:

Universal should have sold it to Disney several years ago.
I cannot imagine they don't get the rights. Make World War Hulk happen!!!! All the Hulk stuff is the main reason I am stoked for Cap 4!

Betty Ross is the main draw for me in that movie. Leader too. I liked The Incredible Hulk.

Thats ridiculous if Universal still has same connection. And their marketing is definitely not better than Disney.

I wanted to bump ADollarADay's post from a few years back about the potential for the Hulk rights to revert after 15 years. Well we've hit the 15 year mark this month and I'm not sure if this is a sign but apparently TIH is going to be on Disney+ in the US tomorrow.

Wow someone remembered my post from a few years back! Nice memory.

Evidence from that points to the full rights returning to Marvel.

It was a fifteen years process. Surprisingly longer than the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, which had more films under their previous rights holder.

It was a fifteen years process. Surprisingly longer than the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, which had more films under their previous rights holder.
A case of specific rights expiring whereas the daring rescue :D of X-Men and F4 was something that might never have happened! Just luck that Fox felt they needed to sell up and exit that area. I doubt they would ever have let the X-Men rights in particular naturally expire, in the same way that Sony will never naturally let Spidey rights expire.

A case of specific rights expiring whereas the daring rescue :D of X-Men and F4 was something that might never have happened! Just luck that Fox felt they needed to sell up and exit that area. I doubt they would ever have let the X-Men rights in particular naturally expire, in the same way that Sony will never naturally let Spidey rights expire.
I think the Fantastic 4 rights would have eXpired just like Daredevil. That Dr. Doom movie was never gonna happen. In hindsight, the deal with FoX was much better because they didn't have a 15 year timelapse, and they would need to come up with a new movie in less than 10 years. Though with Daredevil it was about ten years for FoX to lose the rights. So still a long time of nothing. Universal however, only had 1 bad Marvel movie under its belt, which is Hulk 2003. One of the unwatchable Marvel films for me.

Now if only Marvel Studios can get the full film rights for Spider-Man. That would be spectacular!

Last edited:
I think the Fantastic 4 rights would have eXpired just like Daredevil. That Dr. Doom movie was never gonna happen. In hindsight, the deal with FoX was much better because they didn't have a 15 year timelapse, and they would need to come up with a new movie in less than 10 years. Though with Daredevil it was about ten years for FoX to lose the rights. So still a long time of nothing. Universal however, only had 1 bad Marvel movie under its belt, which is Hulk 2003. One of the unwatchable Marvel films for me.

Now if only Marvel Studios can get the full film rights for Spider-Man. That would be spectacular!
Yeah, I think with anything not Spider-man and X-Men, there was a chance that things might have expired. With F4 part of the appeal of the rights is the villain characters you get access to rather than the F4 alone but still much harder to make things connected to them endlessly unlike with X-Men and Spidey. The only way that I think the Spidey rights could come up is if a company like Apple tried to buy Sony - I think in that case the rights revert to Disney.

Yeah, I think with anything not Spider-man and X-Men, there was a chance that things might have expired. With F4 part of the appeal of the rights is the villain characters you get access to rather than the F4 alone but still much harder to make things connected to them endlessly unlike with X-Men and Spidey. The only way that I think the Spidey rights could come up is if a company like Apple tried to buy Sony - I think in that case the rights revert to Disney.
Or if Sony sell their film division. I think there was a report several years ago that they considered it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"