• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Curious Case of Spider-Man & Hulk Rights (Or Keep Hope Alive That the Rights Will Revert)

I'm just sitting here wondering why we have had multiple films featuring the Avengers, Hulk, Captains Marvel and America...and still no Rick Jones, other than an Easter Egg during TIH credits.

They were never going to make a movie with Genis Vell and Rick Jones :(

I do prefer the title of the old thread though as it was historical. Couldn't this thread be retitled "Keep Hope Alive that the Spider-Man, Hulk and Namor rights can revert to Marvel"? Or "Keep Hope Alive that the Sony and Universal rights can revert to Marvel"? Or even "Keep Hope Alive: Spider-Man, Hulk and Namor edition"? Then at least it is more focused but still a homage to the old one.

Before this thread goes on too long, I would definitely like to second this. The "Keep Hope Alive" title is... well a history and a tradition- I couldn't have said it better myself. Plus, it adds a sense of continuity; I mean, what are we, the Fox-Men?!?!?

Is there any way the thread title could be edited to something a little more concise and in line with the past threads?

I think the previous title was more allowing of Marvel rights topics and news being posted outside the remaining licensed Marvel rights(though of course I understand the original thread creator only created it with the goal of only getting the FF rights back) so it only makes sense to make a new thread title centered on the last licensed Marvel rights. Since the thread creator asked us to focus specifically on the Hulk/Spider-Man rights issues; that limits the ability to discuss the Disney-Fox deal's impact on the MCU going forward since this thread title was made to be more focused on Universal/Sony situation.

They've already started the press tour for Endgame, and you better believe Feige will now be able to freely talk about what he plans to do with the Mutants and the First Family in his universe now that he has the rights back. And there will inevitably be real news about the MCU version of the formerly Fox-licensed Marvel characters at some point from a legit trade like Hollywood reporter or Variety instead of a unreliable fan-site with speculation-ridden fake scoops. In a way, the more focused nature of the thread makes for a more organized discussion than the more scattered nature of the previous version but I'm far less motivated to post in this thread than I was in the previous version since the current rights situation with Spidey & Hulk isn't as serious as the case with Fantastic Four and to a lesser extent the X-Men.

Last edited:
I can't see Disney buying Sony Pictures. However, I could see Disney trading Fox assets with Universal and/or Sony in exchange for the remaining loose rights. After all, having bought Fox, Disney now owns a lot of stuff that they don't necessarily need or want, and the best thing to do with them is see what you can get.

Moreso that first one, mind, as Universal would lose a lot less for giving up their minuscule hold on Hulk and Namor.

I'm just sitting here wondering why we have had multiple films featuring the Avengers, Hulk, Captains Marvel and America...and still no Rick Jones, other than an Easter Egg during TIH credits.

I think the issue is that, ultimately, Rick Jones is an archetype that didn't really fit with the MCU. He's the teen sidekick, the superhero fan. And since the age of heroes more or less literally started on screen, there wasn't much narrative place for him to exist. By the time the MCU matured enough to have room, they probably felt that there wasn't much need, as they were doing other things.

Spider-Man himself is kind of the Rick Jones of the MCU.

9QX56B5.png[IMG]

A lot of these Fox-Men fanboys are celebrating the news that New Mutants is going to get a theatrical release as a pathetic form of vindication and are doing the awfully obnoxious, “See! YOU’RE WRONG BET YOU FEEL STUPID NOW!” to those who speculated that the movie might be dumped on Hulu. They’re showing this sad, “Ha! in-your-face! attitude all while ignoring the very real possibility that this movie is going to be a massive critical and much more importantly commercial bomb(even if it’s made for cheap).

There hasn’t literally been any marketing in over a year, the reshoots still haven’t happened yet(if they ever do) and there are still rumors of the poor test screenings/creative differences between the director and the studio. Does the Mouse really think this cheap amateur horror film in the guise of a superhero film is really worth the financial investment?

Disney has deep pockets and can afford the money loss but still....

Last edited:
There's been plenty of obnoxiousness on both sides, so I don't blame 'em. If the movie comes out and is a dud like most assume, no harm, no foul.

Can't help but wonder if Disney are going to let the foxverse keep going for a while? It's cheaper to produce the films already in development than to fully reboot.

A lot of these Fox-Men fanboys are celebrating the news that New Mutants is going to get a theatrical release as a pathetic form of vindication and are doing the awfully obnoxious, “See! YOU’RE WRONG BET YOU FEEL STUPID NOW!” to those who speculated that the movie might be dumped on Hulu. They’re showing this sad, “Ha! in-your-face! attitude all while ignoring the very real possibility that this movie is going to be a massive critical and much more importantly commercial bomb(even if it’s made for cheap).

There hasn’t literally been any marketing in over a year, the reshoots still haven’t happened yet(if they ever do) and there are still rumors of the poor test screenings/creative differences between the director and the studio. Does the Mouse really think this cheap amateur horror film in the guise of a superhero film is really worth the financial investment?

Most of those people are the same who once said no way X-Men/Fantastic Four rights would return to Marvel.

Honestly I would get being behind that movie if it looked good at all, but it really doesn't. As you say it looks like a generic horror movie to the nth degree.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think a wolverine reboot might come before fantastic four and xmen.

I'm starting to think a wolverine reboot might come before fantastic four and xmen.
Wolverine is too big of an character to leave out of the first X-Men movie.

He will be in the first MCU X-Men film mark my words.

Wolverine is too big of an character to leave out of the first X-Men movie.

He will be in the first MCU X-Men film mark my words.

I'm more basing it off the cinemacon montage which teased wolverine joining the MCU. They seem eager to get wolverine.

I'd be highly disappointed if Wolverine was in the first film

THR had an interesting article in Dec 2017. Detailing the status all of the Fox marvel properties. Wolverine sounds top of the agenda.

And while some execs are already relishing rebooting (and recasting) Wolverine, a Loganspinoff centering on Wolverine's daughter X-23 is likely not going to go far at this stage.

Deadpool as an R-rated franchise seems safe for now, but Fox’s broader X-Men strategy, run by writer-producer Simon Kinberg, seems up in the air.

“[Feige] is going to be asked, ‘Do you want to continues on these developments paths?’” says one executive.

Fantastic Four, meanwhile, is a title that will have to be handled with kid gloves. A reboot would be the third iteration of the characters, and some execs professed exhaustion over a brand that never quite shined like others. Still, Spider-Man: Homecoming was the third launch of that hero, and the movie overcame brand fatigue and brand wariness when it won over audiences and critics this summer to the tune of $880 million worldwide.

They really need to find some way of getting the vestiges of the Hulk rights back, it sucks that in the golden age of the genre he’s one the only big Marvel characters to not get a really great solo film.

Just find a way to get me a nice long Hulk vs Wolverine scene

Would probably end up being a top tier fight scene in the MCU watching the lovable lil Canucklehead get ragdolled yet still hold his own against Hulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"