World The Curse of Superman

Vandal Savage

Civilian
Reaction score
This is pretty fascinating, apparently there was a recently aired documentary about the Superman curse in the UK.

They talk about it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ3ndl9_G5A

If anyone has an encode of it, that'd be great.

I'm starting to wonder how this curse will affect Brandon Routh or if it already has . . .

It's on channel 4 tonight at 10 pm.

Good shout.

Vandal Savage said:
This is pretty fascinating, apparently there was a recently aired documentary about the Superman curse in the UK.

They talk about it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ3ndl9_G5A

If anyone has an encode of it, that'd be great.

I'm starting to wonder how this curse will affect Brandon Routh or if it already has . . .

Not recently aired - it's on Channel 4 (July 15) TONITE at 10.00pm.

wait, what's the curse? The death of the supermen?

Oh now I see... that'd be pretty sad for brandon to have an even harder time getting work. but He'll get recognized for doing a good job here i'm sure...

I wouldnt worry to much cain and welling seem to be doing fine.

Triadkd said:
I wouldnt worry to much cain and welling seem to be doing fine.

Cain is pretty much doing nothing useful. Welling isnt even Superman but something tells me his career looks bright... with Cheaper By The Dozen III :rolleyes:

Vandal Savage said:
It would kinda suck if Brandon like died.... oh well.

I wouldn't put much stock in this. The "curse" thing really only seems to be proliferated by George Reeves blowing his brains out (and they haven't found anything concrete to suggest otherwise) and Christopher Reeve's accident, and in the case of the latter that's where he ended up showing his true mettle. So Kirk Alyn didn't get work or never did anything special again; lots of sci-fi/fantasy actors don't. Dean Cain keeps managing to get TV-movie work. Not sure what Gerard Christopher is up to these days, but he didn't look like anything unfortunate had happened to him when he appeared in Singer's documentary. And with "Smallville" still on the air, I don't think Tom Welling has had much to worry about.

Like Routh said when Singer asked him if he put any stock in the "curse" business: "It could be worse...I could NOT get the job and something bad could happen to me."

The curse did start with George Reeves. It is still really unclear that if he killed himself or not. No fingerprints was found on the gun no even his own. Christopher Reeve's accident spark it again but I don't think you can say he was curse. I say he was a true Superman. He said that he will walk again. Just before he died he was breathing on his own. After Superman, Kirk Ayln didn't have much of a job anymore. As Jochimus said most of the sci-fi actors don't after that one role what ever that role may be.

Man that show was lame. I hated the way they portrayed things. Blaming Superman for Brando's life. The guy was clearly an arrogant prick and had s**t loads of money. Fame had gone to his head. plus Pryor was living that crazy life before he did Superman 3. It was so lame.

There are two threads of the curse of Superman and everyone seems to be saying the same thing about Dean Cain...that he is the vitim of a curse because hsi career has fizzled out. While his career has certainly not fizzled he has his health, and he is happy. Is that not enough these days?

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]I just saw the documentary just awhile ago about the ''cruse of Superman''. While people may believe theres a cruse I do not agree. People who died that starred in this film died by not a curse but by how life played out and by the choices they made. If there is a curse then I'm assuming this also effect not just cast but also the crew and everyone who ever work with the films and Tv show. Another thing, this supposed curse was brought on by the creators of Superman....But are the creators some sort of magicians or curse casters? NO!!! If that were the case then any of us could do it. Another thing is if there is a curse shouldn't it effect all the cast of Lois And Clark TV show? As I see it Teri is doing great on DHW. Also this curse should be passed on to the cast of Smallville....Again nothing has happened to them. There is no curse and thats my opinion.[/FONT]

Why would there even be a curse on Superman? Assuming curses are real and there are people who can cast curses, and Superman and it's actors have been cursed, what reason could cause that curse? Superman is a positive character who stands for truth, justice and all that stuff so why curse him and the actors that played him and other actors involved?

What reason could there be? Is there some secret evil agenda in his creation? :confused: Were the actors that played him who were supposedly "cursed" bad people or have they offended or caused pain to some people who happened to know magic and cursed them?

Do some people think he's blasphemous or disrespectful to world religions? I'm aware of the parallels between Supes and religous figures such as Moses and Christ, but what about it?

As far as I know in the comics, tv, and movies, Superman never claimed he's a god-like figure or a savior (yes, in SR, Supes tells Lios "everyday I can hear people ask for one (savior)", but he never considered himself to be a savior--not in the biblical sense at least) nor did the creators of Supes intended him to be one--he was just created to be a superhero for entertainment, that's it.

Logan876 said:
Why would there even be a curse on Superman? Assuming curses are real and there are people who can cast curses, and Superman and it's actors have been cursed, what reason could cause that curse? Superman is a positive character who stands for truth, justice and all that stuff so why curse him and the actors that played him and other actors involved?

What reason could there be? Is there some secret evil agenda in his creation? :confused: Were the actors that played him who were supposedly "cursed" bad people or have they offended or caused pain to some people who happened to know magic and cursed them?

Do some people think he's blasphemous or disrespectful to world religions? I'm aware of the parallels between Supes and religous figures such as Moses and Christ, but what about it?

As far as I know in the comics, tv, and movies, Superman never claimed he's a god-like figure or a savior (yes, in SR, Supes tells Lios "everyday I can hear people ask for one (savior)", but he never considered himself to be a savior--not in the biblical sense at least) nor did the creators of Supes intended him to be one--he was just created to be a superhero for entertainment, that's it.

The creators of Superman Writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster created Superman in the 1930s but their employer DC Comics held the copyright to the character. In 1946, the two sued DC, arguing that they were inadequately compensated for the character. The New York Supreme Court limited their settlement to $60,000 each, a small sum compared to the millions of dollars Superman comic books, films, television series, and merchandise grossed.

One of them typed out saying they curse superman.
Again like I said in my last post, the creators do have the power to cruse in that case we can all curse people.

Lunar_Wolf said:
One of them typed out saying they curse superman.
Again like I said in my last post, the creators do have the power to cruse in that case we can all curse people.

Really, which one? Jerry or Joe? He actually said that? Could you give me a link to an article or archive?

I guess he did that out of anger. But why curse his own creation and not the suits in DC?

If you're gullible enough to believe that there is a curse on Superman then there's something wrong with you. Kirk Alyn played Superman and lived to a ripe old age before dying. George Reeves was concluded to have suicided; anything else has either never been proven as the cause of death and is simply speculation. And don't even bring up Christopher Reeve- his injury was very unique and up until then neurological damage was not exhibited in other victims of his injury. He died of progressive neurological failure.

In summation, if you think that there is a Superman curse you must think you yourself is cursed everytime someone happens to dislike you.

I know somebody who says up and down that if there is a curse, Brandon will go blind.

ChibiKiriyama said:
George Reeves was concluded to have suicided; anything else has either never been proven as the cause of death and is simply speculation. And don't even bring up Christopher Reeve- his injury was very unique and up until then neurological damage was not exhibited in other victims of his injury.
which side are you arguing for again?? because both of those points seem to support the idea of a curse!!! :)

I have this on DVD now :) :up:

Can't wait to watch it!!

As for the Curse, it didn't do Teri Hatchers career any harm!!
Dean Cain is also doing so so. He was never a huge star before Superman anyway!

Dean Cain is the host of a magic show and did a few guest spots on Supergirl. So no curse yet.
Brandon Routh is now Ray Palmer/Atom on Legends of Tomorrow. So no curse yet.
Other than lousy reviews for Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, Henry Cavill seems to be doing well so far.
Tom Welling never really played Superman.
Tyler Hoechlin, too early to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"