Justice League The DCEU Needs a Hard Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Marvel

SHAZAM!
Reaction score
Let's be honest. The DCEU is a train wreck. Man of Steel was terrible, BVS was worse, Justice League is worst of all, Suicide Squad was garbage, and Snyder’s vision of these characters did them no favors whatsoever. Instead, he irreparably damaged the characters of Superman and Batman within the movie universe. The only good movie to come out of the DCEU is Wonder Woman which, thankfully, is set in the past (And the sequel is supposedly set in the 80's, a double blessing). What the DCEU desperately needs is a reboot, plain and simple. And it needs one IMMEDIATELY! If I were Warner Bros., this is what I would do.

Whatever their next movie is in line, it should be part of a rebooted universe which excludes Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Justice League, but NOT Wonder Woman (Its existence in the past means that it can easily be slotted into a rebooted universe). And if it's Batman, even better. Start it with a younger Batman early in his career, not a Batman at the end of his career (Which was itself a colossal mistake. It still blows my mind that anybody at Warner Bros. ever thought that that was a good idea. How do you START a cinematic universe franchise with a Batman, the most popular of all your characters, at the END of his career?!?). Whether it’s Batman, Aquaman, etc., make it with the idea that it’s already in a rebooted universe in which the events of Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Justice League never happened. Even if you keep the same actors (Although I’d be adamant in saying that Ben Affleck needs to go), treat their movies as being the first time they appear, with the events of the aforementioned movies completely erased from existence.

Then when you get around to a Flash movie, use that movie as the vehicle to explain how the universe was changed. With the rumors that the Flash movie will be the Flashpoint storyline, that’s the perfect opportunity to explain away a sudden and hard reboot of the DCEU. Then continue on from there, continuing with each character individually, and then and ONLY then have them team up into the Justice League again. As for specific changes…

First of all, Superman. This character needs to be a symbol of hope, not a dour depressing person. He needs to care about humanity because he loves people. His interest in humanity’s welfare should not begin and end at the woman he has sex with or MARTHAAAAA. He should be an optimistic person who loves that he’s Superman, loves wearing the cape, and loves going out and helping people every day. He should be someone who, no matter what, always adheres to his ideals. Who, when put into situations where others might feel there’s no other choice but to kill their enemy, will ALWAYS find a way to save the day while making sure that nobody dies.

And he needs red trunks. :p

Then there’s Batman. As with Superman, he should not be killing people, not under any circumstances. And as I mentioned above, this should be a younger Batman. One who has a VERY long career ahead of him, both on his own and as a future member of the Justice League. Setting Batman as someone near retirement age is a massive misstep on a film universe which is just starting up.

Last but not least, and this is a minor quibble in comparison to all the major problems plaguing the current DCEU, give us a proper Flash costume. It’s a travesty that a tv show gives us a Flash costume closer to the comics than a $300 million film.

Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Justice League have done irreparable harm to the DCEU. Continuing with a cinematic universe which includes those films is not only a recipe for continued disaster, dragging down winners like Wonder Woman, but it can go on to damage the DC brand itself. It’s time to chuck those movies out of the airlock and start fresh in such a way that Wonder Woman is retained while doing right by every other character in the DCEU.

I think it's time to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"