Justice League What Sense Does it Make to Reboot Batman?

Which is why I said you couldn't do the JGL thing unless Bruce was there in some capacity. You need that bruce and clark dynamic somewhere in the film.

It all comes down to Bruce Wayne absolutely. But I take it you're not a fan of Batman Beyond then? People loved Terry as Batman and a part of that is because Bruce was there in the story.

Ah, Batman Beyond. What a fantastic show that was. It was quite literally a miracle. It is the only time in Batman's history when I saw someone pull off the "Batman can be a legacy" concept while still staying 100% true to everything that Batman is about.

More so than any other superheroes out there, Batman and Superman have always been the exact opposite of legacy characters. In Batman's case specifically, Batman is the byproduct of Bruce Wayne's damaged psychological mind. Sure that you can have guys like Dick Grayson fill in as Batman for a temporary time and it wouldn't be a problem but no one can truly permanently replace Bruce Wayne as Batman because, as I said, Batman is the byproduct of Bruce's damaged mind. That is part of the beauty of Batman IMO, which is that not anyone can be Batman and that he is really not that realistic. Bruce Wayne is the one and only man that achieved the impossible and transformed himself in something so larger-than-life.

Then came Batman Beyond. Technically speaking, the entire concept should not have been able to work on any level. And somehow, they managed to make it work on all the levels while still staying entirely true to the idea that Batman is the byproduct of Bruce's mind. Even the way in which Bruce quits makes complete sense despite Batman being the most motivated superhero in the DC universe. There are many reasons for this but I won't go into them so that this thread doesn't deviate too much from the main topic.

Sadly, miracles only happen once in a lifetime. I don't think I will ever see the idea of the legacy of Batman pulled off that well again (unless they do a proper Batman Beyond adaptation in the future, which technically doesn't count because it's the same story).

If Bale is not coming back, then I am with The Phantasm, reboot the franchise, I want to see Bruce Wayne as Batman, let a new actor redefine Bruce Wayne / Batman.

No John Blake as Batman business. Leave Nolan Bat-verse behind !

Reboot ! Reboot ! Reboot !!

Even ignoring the way TDKR ended, the way that Batman is built in the Nolan movies makes him incompatible with a group of metas. The Batman in JL has to be closer to the comics in terms of skills. He needs to be a super detective and master of like over 100 martial arts. Nolan Bats has shown none of this. Putting that Batman in the Justice League would make him completely useless. I'm a massive fan of the Dark Knight Trilogy, but for the possibility of a more faithfully done Batman in JL, I'd rather they have no connection.

Also, the Nolan trilogy ended quite well imo. Revisiting will just feel wrong. And no thanks to anyone but Bruce Wayne as Batman in Justice League.

Let's leave Nolan's Bat trilogy behind.

Time for a new beginning.

they really dont need to set batman up. just put him in justice league or worlds finest. after that maybe reboot for the expanded if they want. all the logical villains have already made it to the big screen. i really dont care about scarface, croc, or the condiment king. what else can they do with the same villains?

Yes but the real versions of Penguin, Riddler and Freeze haven't been put to the big screen. Especially Penguin and Freeze.

ok? your point? he was still in his late 30s

LOL. Easy there. I was just wondering why you'd say Keaton was older when he was actually younger than Bale in your comparison.

Might not hurt your argument but it sure doesn't help it either. Like others have said longevity is a key factor here. Might be better to get a new actor who can stay in the role for not just Justice League films but solo films for the long haul that's what WB wants.

Huge Bale fan and wish he could have done it but I don't might letting him walk for a new guy either.

Reading a long post Jett made back in December about how WB should reboot Batman. Im really liking the idea.

He was saying the new young/in his prime Batman should be introduced in Justice League and then the solo movies should be Batman Beyond where the same Bruce Wayne (played by a different actor obviously) is shown to be much older in that universe with the young Terry McGinnis. Giving the solo films an extreme difference from what we had last.

Even Michael Uslan is on board for the idea.

I would do this. In the beginning of Justice League you can get glimpses of the young Bats in his batcave with Alfred, shots of Gotham, references to Joker or even an action sequence with one of his other rogues. Taking him down and bringing him to Arkham or something. This would be before he meets up with the League for their missions.

I wouldn't want that personally. I still want more solo films with Bruce Wayne seeing him as the world's greatest detective in the suit before we get to Batman Beyond.

His pitch is also to use the Beyond solos as a way to do flashback scenarios of young Bruce's time as Batman. To show the parallels between Bruce and Terry. So you would have plenty of 'World's Greatest Detective" moments.

I wouldn't want that personally. I still want more solo films with Bruce Wayne seeing him as the world's greatest detective in the suit before we get to Batman Beyond.

I'm not a big fan of that idea either. I want full on Bruce as Bats solo films, not halfway films.

Which is why I said you couldn't do the JGL thing unless Bruce was there in some capacity. You need that bruce and clark dynamic somewhere in the film.

It all comes down to Bruce Wayne absolutely. But I take it you're not a fan of Batman Beyond then? People loved Terry as Batman and a part of that is because Bruce was there in the story.

No, I don't just want Bruce there "in some capacity." I want him there as the actual Batman.

And yeah, I love Batman Beyond, but I don't want to see Terry team up with Superman, and I don't necessarily want to see a live-action Batman Beyond. Leave the live-action major films to Bruce, who has a better rogues gallery and better archetypal imagery anyways.

So have we answered the OP's question?

His pitch is also to use the Beyond solos as a way to do flashback scenarios of young Bruce's time as Batman. To show the parallels between Bruce and Terry. So you would have plenty of 'World's Greatest Detective" moments.

I wouldn't like that. Not only would Terry get less screen time but he would also constantly be compared to Bruce in his prime. What made Batman Beyond so great was that despite Terry being in the batsuit, he was an entirely different character. You cannot compare him with Bruce because he is an entirely different character. Much like how Batman Begins and Batman TAS put emphasis on Bruce's motivations and on why he does the things he does, a Batman Beyond film should do the same with Terry. The film should be a character study of a teen who is mentally scarred from the horrible crimes he committed in his past who now looks for ways to atone for his sins but can't find any (prior to becoming Batman).

Not that you can't have an occasional flashback here and there with Bruce in his Batman days but I don't like Jett's idea overall.

I wouldn't do the flashbacks in a Batman Beyond either. I don't really like that.

No, I don't just want Bruce there "in some capacity." I want him there as the actual Batman.

And yeah, I love Batman Beyond, but I don't want to see Terry team up with Superman, and I don't necessarily want to see a live-action Batman Beyond. Leave the live-action major films to Bruce, who has a better rogues gallery and better archetypal imagery anyways.
Fair enough. But I would love a Batman Beyond live-action film. There's only so much you can do with the standard formula. Things need to be changed up and refreshed after a certain point.

The Beyond concept is too excellent to keep on the shelf.

I would love to see a Batman Beyond film as well. But first I want a few more films showing Batman as I know him before we get there. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing 2 Batman franchises go on at the same time.

That would be insane. Arkham tone Batman in his prime and then Batman Beyond.

Fair enough. But I would love a Batman Beyond live-action film. There's only so much you can do with the standard formula. Things need to be changed up and refreshed after a certain point.

The Beyond concept is too excellent to keep on the shelf.

What exactly is the "standard formula?" If you just mean Bruce as Batman, well, there are almost unlimited story possibilities there. The character is one of the most enduring and beloved superheroes of all time. I have absolutely no fear that we will run out of stories to tell.

The Beyond concept is okay for an animated series. I don't yet see why it merits a live-action treatment.

What exactly is the "standard formula?" If you just mean Bruce as Batman, well, there are almost unlimited story possibilities there. The character is one of the most enduring and beloved superheroes of all time. I have absolutely no fear that we will run out of stories to tell.

The Beyond concept is okay for an animated series. I don't yet see why it merits a live-action treatment.
Unlimited? Maybe not in film. There's going to be a point where audiences get sick of it. These movies are made for the most part for the general audience not the comic geeks.

Batman will be the new James Bond but there's video games and animated tv shows/movies out there as well in the mainstream. That's the difference. A lot of different markets are exposed. There's such thing as running through all the appealing villains too many times over or over-saturation.

Beyond merits a live-action treatment because the concept is fantastic. It doesn't have to be a straight adaptation from the cartoon because this is a different medium. The filmmaker hired will have rights to take what he wants from the original series and then spin things in his own direction. A matured live-action movie version would be fresh.

I personally don't care for seeing reboot after reboot or sequel after sequel if all they're doing is "new detective story, new villain". It's boring. I wouldn't blame the general public if they tuned out. There's only so many FRESH stories you can tell these days with CBM's.

The idea is to keep pumping out Batman films that don't repeat movies of the past, being creative and not wheeling in villains for the sake of it. Batman Beyond shows something vastly different the Nolan-verse, Burton/Shumacher verse or even what WB wants to do with the Justice League DCU.

Unlimited? Maybe not in film. There's going to be a point where audiences get sick of it. These movies are made for the most part for the general audience not the comic geeks.

Batman will be the new James Bond but there's video games and animated tv shows/movies out there as well in the mainstream. That's the difference. A lot of different markets are exposed. There's such thing as running through all the appealing villains too many times over or over-saturation.

Beyond merits a live-action treatment because the concept is fantastic. It doesn't have to be a straight adaptation from the cartoon because this is a different medium. The filmmaker hired will have rights to take what he wants from the original series and then spin things in his own direction. A matured live-action movie version would be fresh.

I personally don't care for seeing reboot after reboot or sequel after sequel if all they're doing is "new detective story, new villain". It's boring. I wouldn't blame the general public if they tuned out. There's only so many FRESH stories you can tell these days with CBM's.

The idea is to keep pumping out Batman films that don't repeat movies of the past, being creative and not wheeling in villains for the sake of it. Batman Beyond shows something vastly different the Nolan-verse, Burton/Shumacher verse or even what WB wants to do with the Justice League DCU.

What percent of the overall population saw Batman TAS and those other takes on Batman in the comics? Not the majority.

There is no point in doing Batman Beyond now. They only touched the tip of the iceberg in what can be done with Batman in live-action. Heck, we have yet to see the Post-Crisis Batman of the comics in all his might and glory in live-action. We have yet to get the world's greatest detective who goes toe-to-toe with Superman, etc. We still have to see the portrayal of Batman being a monster in human form in live-action and the list goes on.

There is no point in doing Batman Beyond now. They only touched the tip of the iceberg in what can be done with Batman in live-action. Heck, we have yet to see the Post-Crisis Batman of the comics in all his might and glory in live-action. We have yet to get the world's greatest detective who goes toe-to-toe with Superman, etc. We still have to see the portrayal of Batman being a monster in human form in live-action and the list goes on.

:up: :up:

Absolutely. There are so many different possible interpretations and incarnations of the character. I don't think anyone will tire of him anytime soon.

You may be right about not doing it now. There's time to do it. But it should happen. It's a fresh and exciting concept.

We've done more than scratch the surface with Batman. But there's an easy 3 or 4 movies you can do now with a Bruce in his 30s(excluding Justice League) of the world's greatest detective. But after that, all the appealing villains will be done so many times over. There will have been enough stories told.

It's about the story and what can you offer that's new. Quality over quantity. The Bond franchise as you think back to Connery, Moore and Brosnan...it was quantity over quality. I don't want the Batman franchise to be on auto-pilot, suffering the same fate.

The key is originality in movie-form. Forget the older comics. We've had our 1939 Batman, our 60s West Batman & Robin (twice now, with the second trying too hard to modernize it and failing hard), the silver-age Batman & Robin adventures, the Frank Miller/Jeph Loeb graphic novels of the 80s and 90s brought to life through Nolan. Now Justice League is another interpretation that's coming soon. The Bruce Timm/Conroy style has yet to come alive with real actors on the big screen so mesh that with the new JLA's. You can pull off a trilogies worth of films, maybe 1 more..but when you go past 4 films you're inevitably going to run it into the ground. Batman Beyond is the next natural step.

Some villains that appeal to me:

Hugo Strange
Black Mask
Joker
Riddler
Penguin
Catwoman
Bane
Ra's Al Ghul
Freeze
Mad Hatter
Firefly
Two Face
Clayface
Scarecrow
Ventriloquist
Poison Ivy

Even at 2 villains a film that's more than 3 or 4 movies.

Then you have the advantage of being able to do fresh takes on a) the Batman / Robin dynamic [hardly touched in live action], b) the Batman / Catwoman dynamic, c) Batman doing detective work, etc.

Add to that the exponential factor of reboots / new interpretations... the number of possible fresh new Batman stories starring Bruce Wayne goes through the roof.

You may be right about not doing it now. There's time to do it. But it should happen. It's a fresh and exciting concept.

We've done more than scratch the surface with Batman. But there's an easy 3 or 4 movies you can do now with a Bruce in his 30s(excluding Justice League) of the world's greatest detective. But after that, all the appealing villains will be done so many times over. There will have been enough stories told.

It's about the story and what can you offer that's new. Quality over quantity. The Bond franchise as you think back to Connery, Moore and Brosnan...it was quantity over quality. I don't want the Batman franchise to be on auto-pilot, suffering the same fate.

The key is originality in movie-form. Forget the older comics. We've had our 1939 Batman, our 60s West Batman & Robin (twice now, with the second trying too hard to modernize it and failing hard), the silver-age Batman & Robin adventures, the Frank Miller/Jeph Loeb graphic novels of the 80s and 90s brought to life through Nolan. Now Justice League is another interpretation that's coming soon. The Bruce Timm/Conroy style has yet to come alive with real actors on the big screen so mesh that with the new JLA's. You can pull off a trilogies worth of films, maybe 1 more..but when you go past 4 films you're inevitably going to run it into the ground. Batman Beyond is the next natural step.

I don't agree that they will run out of ideas in a "Bruce Timm/Conroy" reboot (for lack of better term; I hate referring to it as that because it makes me sound as if I only saw Batman TAS and haven't read the comics, which isn't true) just after 3 or 4 movies. I think they can make more movies than that and still keep things fresh. However, I do agree that they should do Batman Beyond after that.

I find Beyond waaaaay more limited in the stories it can tell. Terry only has a handful of good villains to face off against and once the novelty of the Bruce / Terry dynamic wears off it doesn't have much to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"