Guardians of the Galaxy The Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy: The Gamora Thread

She's got a really creepy smile in the lineup. I like.

I hope they skip any version of a love interest in this film. I'd rather just see pure characterization for everyone and then in a sequel have Gamora and Adam Warlock fall for one another.

I rather they save that for Nova when he finally appears.

I'm calling it now, she's not going to be "super powered" in the film she'll be around Cap's level if that.

Cap in the films *is* super powered. I'd be fine with Gamora being that level, as long as she's suitably skilled.

I'm calling it now, she's not going to be "super powered" in the film she'll be around Cap's level if that.

I hope not, she should be at least around Drax level. Its the comics I know but she was able to fight toe to toe with Ronan in Annihilation.

Cap in the films *is* super powered. I'd be fine with Gamora being that level, as long as she's suitably skilled.

I never considered peak human condition "super powered", I just consider it peak human condition.

I hope not, she should be at least around Drax level. Its the comics I know but she was able to fight toe to toe with Ronan in Annihilation.

Her strength levels have fluctuated from "just above" human to IM level, so it's not like she's been consitently portrayed that strong.

Agreed. I'm hoping they make Gamora the "big gun" on the team. Drax and Groot may have more brute strength, but I'm hoping Gamora's weapon expertise makes her the most dangerous member of the Guardians.

Zoe Saldana vs. Karen Gillan, yes please. I'd like for Gamora to be at least somewhat super-strengthed. Having her just be above "normal human" levels would be underwhelming to say the least.

She's got a really creepy smile in the lineup. I like.

I hope they skip any version of a love interest in this film. I'd rather just see pure characterization for everyone and then in a sequel have Gamora and Adam Warlock fall for one another.
I kind of think that any "romance" with Gamora would be more like a "friends/comrades with benefits" type of deal. She just doesn't seem like the romantic type, at least not in this movie.

Zoe Saldana vs. Karen Gillan, yes please. I'd like for Gamora to be at least somewhat super-strengthed. Having her just be above "normal human" levels would be underwhelming to say the least.

Ummm....that's how she's been for the majority of her comic book appearances though.

Agreed. I'm hoping they make Gamora the "big gun" on the team. Drax and Groot may have more brute strength, but I'm hoping Gamora's weapon expertise makes her the most dangerous member of the Guardians.

It doesn't work like that, Thor was the overall more powerful member of The Avengers but Hulk was still the "Big Gun". Drax doesn't just have brute strength either, he's a very skilled and tactical fighter as well.

It doesn't work like that, Thor was the overall more powerful member of The Avengers but Hulk was still the "Big Gun". Drax doesn't just have brute strength either, he's a very skilled and tactical fighter as well.

The "big gun" is typically the most powerful member of the group. If Thor is the the most powerful member I'd say he is the "big gun" rather than Hulk. In the comics, I certainly consider him the "big gun" despite the fact that he is typically portrayed as being physically weaker than Hulk.

Nor did I ever say Drax wasn't skilled.

The "big gun" is typically the most powerful member of the group. If Thor is the the most powerful member I'd say he is the "big gun" rather than Hulk. In the comics, I certainly consider him the "big gun" despite the fact that he is typically portrayed as being physically weaker than Hulk.

True, I misread your post I thought you said "Groot and Drax just have brute strength" my bad. So as I was saying Gamora is certainly more skilled than Drax, but Drax is skilled enough to compete PLUS he's a lot stronger.

Info From Their Data Screens

Drax - Enhanced musculature, impact resistant skin, and cellular regeneration.

Gamora's - Cybernetic appendages, ocular and respiratory implants, and enhanced neurological system.

Judging from that alone, Drax is going be more powerful and impervious to harm while Gamora is going to be more stealthy.

Ummm....that's how she's been for the majority of her comic book appearances though.

Yes, but she hasn't always been that way, as others have pointed out. I just think that making the "deadliest woman in the galaxy" into someone who's not much stronger/better than Black Widow would be a waste. This is a movie, not the comics. Let her tear crap up.

Yes, but she hasn't always been that way, as others have pointed out. I just think that making the "deadliest woman in the galaxy" into someone who's not much stronger/better than Black Widow would be a waste. This is a movie, not the comics. Let her tear crap up.

Yeah you have a good point there, but I'm just going off what we've seen so far.

It's not that I don't want her to be powerful, it's just that they seem to playing up her assassination skills over being a "heavy hitter".

Her strength levels have fluctuated from "just above" human to IM level, so it's not like she's been consitently portrayed that strong.

She was consistently portrayed as very strong through Annihilation, Conquest and War Of King's. Those were 3 big events so I personally would prefer we get that Gamora.

I dont think she will ever be the big gun with Drax and Groot there, but her power shouldnt be under-estimated, she may not be as strong as those two but she should be as deadly.

Couldnt agree more with this.

It all depends on the criteria. Hulk is physically equal to Thor but has a damage Multiplier applied with different levels of rage. Thor can actually hit extremely harder with Mjolnir and has a variety of different powers. It all kind of equals out. Which is why there fight almost always in up as a wash.

I'd be completely OK with that. One of my main qualms with the comics is that some characters are ridiculously overpowered, when it suits a particular narrative goal, and then suddenly not-so-powerful when said narrative calls for the same character to be in an "against all odds" scenario. With Gamora, I'd much prefer they focused on her speed, agility, skill and sheer deadliness. Let Drax be the brute of the squad.

I'd be completely OK with that. One of my main qualms with the comics is that some characters are ridiculously overpowered, when it suits a particular narrative goal, and then suddenly not-so-powerful when said narrative calls for the same character to be in an "against all odds" scenario. With Gamora, I'd much prefer they focused on her speed, agility, skill and sheer deadliness. Let Drax be the brute of the squad.

I totally agree. Writers tend to keep upping characters' power level over time until it gets to be ludicrous. Then they find themselves with heroes (and villains) who are so powerful that it's nearly impossible to create a threat that can realistically endanger them. It's the Kryptonite Dilemma: When a character is ridiculously strong, ridiculous methods have to be created to defeat them.

I totally agree. Writers tend to keep upping characters' power level over time until it gets to be ludicrous. Then they find themselves with heroes (and villains) who are so powerful that it's nearly impossible to create a threat that can realistically endanger them. It's the Kryptonite Dilemma: When a character is ridiculously strong, ridiculous methods have to be created to defeat them.

Yep, best to avoid that whole dilemma by depowering the character as much as you can at the inception & gradually having their strength & abilities increase over time.

I'd be fine with Gamora being somewhere around or slightly above Cap's level. Everybody doesn't need to have planet destroying strength.

I never considered peak human condition "super powered", I just consider it peak human condition.

Which is completely irrelevant to the movies, as he's not "peak human" in the movies. He's superhuman.

Which is completely irrelevant to the movies, as he's not "peak human" in the movies. He's superhuman.

I thought it was made evident that this version of a super-soldier meant being superhuman considering how Blonsky handled the Hulk in TIH.

Cap isn't Batman, he's actually superhuman...if he wasn't it would kind of make the whole experiment he undertook moot to the highest degree.

BW & Hawkeye are the only ones in MCU thus far who aren't on any kind of superhuman level.

I suspect the weirdness is because the comics decided to have Cap be merely "peak human", even as writers have occasionally ignored that. So, you have "peak human" being associated, not with Cap's traditional performance level, but with the odd outlier feat like cleaving a car nearly in half with a thrown shield.

I don't think the movies have ever even used the phrase "peak human". Its always been about creating an outright super soldier, whose feats have been outright superhuman since his very first scene.

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with you on this, although it's a really petty thing to hang on to. I'm sure everyone knew what I meant by not "super powered", as in her not being anywhere near her Annihilation levels.

I've also heard a lot of people refer to Cap as "having no powers" after watching CA:TFA and TA, so it's not as obvious as you think.

Last edited:
It's definitely not obvious, but I'm sure that was the implication, especially with the way they set up the super-soldier serum in TIH.

All in all, I think they'll have the perfect balance for Gamora. I'm not particularly worried since they seem more focused on giving everybody a specific position within the group rather than having characters that can literally do any & everything.

Yea i think if Gamora is Cap level strength, speed, agility etc (which is definitely superhuman) it'd be great. Make her stand out by having unbelievable fighting skills and the implants in her description seem to suggest enhanced senses and a quick mind.

Its only not obvious to people who either don't actually pay attention, or who have bizarre ideas in mind from the comics "peak human" deal. The fact that these are sizable quantities doesn't make it any less obvious.

It varies. Basically Cap can withstand more than an average human and has better endurance. He's a little stronger, but Spider-Man could still seriously injure him if he could ever get a hit on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"