The Defenders The Defenders General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not sure we'll get more than the 60 episodes netflix has purchased. from the information thats been released so far it looks like it may be one big show with each of the character arcs being a separate season (e.g.: daredevil = season 1, luke cage = season 2 etc.. with the defenders being season 5)

hoping we get the punisher showing up throughout the series, although that's wishful thinking i guess

Look, this is a big experiment.
Netflix is subscription based, if this directly leads to a big spike in subscriptions and the shows are constantly trending and garnering favourable reviews and also ends up selling big when they put it in box sets then I doubt we will see the end of the Netflix/Marvel Studios collaboration.

The line-up might change but I'm positive that if this works out it will lead to more, supply and demand madchild.

Plus I don't see it as seasons, it's really more a Phase 1 for Street Level heroes that culminates in the Defenders.

Agree with Gr0ot. These are 4 independent projects, albeit occurring in the same universe, with 4 different production teams. The Defenders can either be done by one of the crews, an amalgamation thereof, or by a completely different production team. So yea, the "Daredevil is season 1, Jessica Jones is season 2, and so on" analogy doesn't really work. For example, if Daredevil is a resounding success, it'll almost certainly be greenlit for a second season, which they'll look to release a year (or so) after the first season aired... or in the case of Netflix, dumped.

Last edited:
Also. I predict that each character is going to be introduced in the preceding series before their own proper season. For example. I think Jessica will be introduced in Daredevil's series, then Luke will be introduced in Jessica's series ( most likely as her love interest) and then Iron Fist will be introduced in Luke's series. I think that's a good way to prep the viewer and give the characters good intros before their shows launch.

WTF? So think isn't going to be a motion capture series with Hulk, Namor, and Dr. Strange? Sign me out...

I've never read any of the Defenders comics so... any chance Black Panther could be introduced here?

WTF? So think isn't going to be a motion capture series with Hulk, Namor, and Dr. Strange? Sign me out...

Can't be, Namor and the Silver Surfer aren't owned by Marvel Studios.
It's a sad thing and won't at all be the same thing but it is what we are left with, I just hope they disband as soon as they're done their mission.
Daredevil really isn't a guy I think should be on a team long term, and Luke and Danny are better being Heroes for Hire([BLACKOUT]Actually why the hell would Rand need to be a heroic mercenary with the money he has?[/BLACKOUT]).

Anyways both Iron Fist and Luke have been members of a Defenders team at one point or another and this is an extension of the MCU which isn't a direct translation of 616 or Ultimate continuity.

What would make you think this even for a second? Both because absolutely every single bit of information has said otherwise, and for the self-evident fact that you could never do any of those characters on a TV budget?

Not to mention that just sounds like a bad idea, anyway.

What the original Defenders?
That be great!
I especially loved the Keith Giffen book, had me laughing out loud.

The dynamics between zany Doctor Strange, childlike Hulk, arrogant Namor and existential Silver Surfer were to die for, that and the hilarity that and the Dread Dormammu. :woot:

Crying shame we might never see that group together cinematically. :csad:

Really dunno what you were expecting haha. But sure whatever you sound ridiculous. Sign you out? Ok later bro, don't let the door hit you in the ass.

I want to see an avengers movie, but where spider man, wolverine, the human torch, iron man, dr doom, magneto, squirrel girl, yoda, deadpool, and the thing all team up to take down galactus, silver surfer, thanos, ronan the accuser, betty white, the sinister 6, the masters of evil, ultron, and surtur! And it has to have a 3 billion dollar budget! All 7 billion people on the earth will go and see it because who doesn't want to see a cluster of superheroes fighting a cluster supervillains? Also, leave plot and character development out of it because those just waste time

I want to see an avengers movie, but where spider man, wolverine, the human torch, iron man, dr doom, magneto, squirrel girl, yoda, deadpool, and the thing all team up to take down galactus, silver surfer, thanos, ronan the accuser, betty white, the sinister 6, the masters of evil, ultron, and surtur! And it has to have a 3 billion dollar budget! All 7 billion people on the earth will go and see it because who doesn't want to see a cluster of superheroes fighting a cluster supervillains? Also, leave plot and character development out of it because those just waste time

Rofltaco

What the original Defenders?
That be great!
I especially loved the Keith Giffen book, had me laughing out loud.

The dynamics between zany Doctor Strange, childlike Hulk, arrogant Namor and existential Silver Surfer were to die for, that and the hilarity that and the Dread Dormammu. :woot:

Crying shame we might never see that group together cinematically. :csad:

I'm not a huge fan of the Defenders as a team, I think I like this street version better. But I was mainly talking about the mo-cap series. I don't like that angle. I prefer live-action.

So will we see the Defenders eating Pizza after the final battle with whoever they are going to face?

Also. I predict that each character is going to be introduced in the preceding series before their own proper season. For example. I think Jessica will be introduced in Daredevil's series, then Luke will be introduced in Jessica's series ( most likely as her love interest) and then Iron Fist will be introduced in Luke's series. I think that's a good way to prep the viewer and give the characters good intros before their shows launch.
Yeah I figured this is what they'd do to connect all the shows. All the characters will be recurring in the other characters' TV shows in their regular civilian lives to connect the universe before having their own series. Jessica can be a detective that Matt consults every so often and Luke can be one of Matt's clients. Jessica can be working Luke's case in her show and knows Danny through Luke, and Danny of course can be Luke's best friend. Cool way to have to interweave everything.

So who will be the SHIELD presence on the shows??

Clay Quartermain has a history with Jessica Jones
So does Carol Danvers. Remember she was originally going to be part of the ABC Jessica Jones pilot.
How about Mockingbird?? Quake??

I hope the SHIELD presence is kept to a minimum, if at all. Marvel has no problem not including them in the story, as seen in IM3 and TDW. Although, some people had a problem with SHIELD's absence in those movies. But if they are necessary for the story they're telling in these shows, put 'em in.

That would have not worked on a TV budget. Plus the Defenders series is a bit too aimless to be a TV series (I'm not sure the Headmen would work in live action).

This more like Heroes for Hire or the Marvel Knights Team with the Defenders name on it. I have no problem with that.

I guess the Hood can be a major villain, and his crew of various b-list villains can be his crew. I can see Parker Robbins finding some norn stones. Maybe a supporting Character from Thor can show up.

Here's a question. What should bring The Defenders together?

The Avengers formed as a result of Loki and the Chitauri.
Coulson's team formed as a result of the Battle of New York's aftermath
What event launches The Defenders??

I'd have either the Kingpin or the Purple Man be the villain who brings the Defenders together, or maybe both of them. The heroes can all be investigating a case independently of each other at first. Then they discover that their cases are actually interconnected and that the same mastermind is behind all of them, and that the threat is too big for any one of them to deal with alone. So, they decide that four heads are better than one and team up. Simple yet effective.

Doctor Strange is a must. It ain't The Defenders without Doctor Strange. He's got to be the thing that brings the team together.

And I don't think budget is at all an issue for Doctor Strange. His magic doesn't have to involve overt flashy special effects, it can be subtle, conveyed through edits and whatnot. I imagine him being portrayed similarly to the Angels on "Supernatural," which is something I'd be quite happy with.

Plot wise, I'm imagining Strange bringing together a group of champions to help him battle some dark pulpy/lovecraftian supernatural threat that is clawing at the walls of reality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"