The Defenders The Defenders General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. What's your point? My point is that they found ways around the budget problems. You listed three ways that they did. Take your pick for Shuma-Gorath.

But I suggested that if Shuma-Gorath appeared, he would take human form, because that would easier on a budget. I'm just saying the giant eye ball with tentacles likely wouldn't work on a TV budget.

I've listed plenty of examples of TV shows that did non-humanoid creatures. One example where they altered their plans for budgetary reasons doesn't change anything.

I'm not familiar with every TV show mentioned, its more helpful if you gave specific examples of those creatures that I could look up, instead of just mentioning the TV shows.

1: Says you.

Yeah says me, we are arguing about opinions here, and I'm expressing my opinion about what would and wouldn't work on this show.

2: How about the time Spider-Man fought The Juggernaut? How about Secret Wars? Or the various times he's gone on missions into space with The Avengers during big crossovers? How about most of Spider-Mans villains, who are general quite powerful and who I would hardly call "street level."

Or how about Dardevil, who has in the past battled Blackheart, the demon prince of Hell, or Kirigi, a 500 year old undead ninja?

Juggernaut is a two bit thug who happens to get powers from magic, he is not really a cosmic character any more then the Wrecking Crew or Absorbing Man is.

That's not really the majority of their stories though, is it. Spider-Man was a solo hero for a long time, because he worked best in a street level setting and the Hand's magic is really not as epic Shuma-Gorath. The Black Heart story had more to do Matt's spirituality then anything else, it works because Matt is religious and Black Heart is the son of the Devil, sotries where the devil tries to corrupt and tempt good man go way back and puts Matt into a position where he can win, because while he never could defeat Black Heart or Mepshistio is a physical contest, he could reject their attempts to corrupt him. Shuma-Gorath and Dormammu are more cosmic conquerors then corruptors, they would just kill Matt, not try to corrupt him.

Really Spider-Man hardly seems to go on cosmic adventures and he often seems somewhat out of place in that setting.

This "street level" thing you keep going on about is meaningless and restrictive.

So should Galactus be a regular Spider-Man or DD villain? :oldrazz:

I'm not saying it will have Dr. Strange in it. I'm saying it should have Dr. Strange in it, and that having Dr. Strange in it is totally doable.

Says You. :oldrazz:

Seriously though, if this group has more common with DD's street level group from the early 2000s, who are just using the Defenders name, so if that's true, why are they under any obligation to use Strange?

1: They changed The Mandarin, but they still had The Mandarin as the main villain in an Iron Man story.

2: Dr. Strange is the only constant factor in the Defenders. He's the guy who brought them together and he is a member and leader of every iteration, including versions that some of the characters of the Netflix series have been on.

Except they have only be using the Defenders name, not be using the same team from the comics and really the Iron Man movies took Mandarin's name and grafted it on to a different character. Mandarin has nothing to do with AIM in the comics, so why would Dr. strange have to be this version of the Defenders, if they are talking the name and doing something different with it, which is what they did with Mandarin.

Again, says you. We don't know how much magic there will be in his Netflix show.

You need to stop saying that. :oldrazz:

But the fact is there could be very minimal magic Iron Fist show, it could be mainly martial arts with the occasional bit of magic, I would assume it would be like that, because that would be easier to shoot.

And seeing as how in his origin story he got his powers by killing an actual ****ing dragon with his bare hands, I really don't see how the vague and restrictive "street level" moniker applies to him.

And he may not get his powers exactly that way in the show, an adaption doesn't have to be 100% faithful to the source material.

Really in the 60s Spider-Man got his powers from a radioactive spider and Tony Stark was injured in Vietnam, origins are often changed or updated in an adaption.

No idea, but it seems likely Netflix tracks and correlates their content and their subscriber base. After all, they automatically know not only how many people are subscribed, but what everyone is watching. So, they could qeue up a database of every new subscriber for the month after Daredevil comes out, and check to see what percentage of them watched the show.

That makes sense. I figured they must have some kind of tracking system in place to tell them what people want and what is a waste of space

That makes sense. I figured they must have some kind of tracking system in place to tell them what people want and what is a waste of space

Yea they have all of that.

When they got into producing their own content, they looked at all their metrics, and searched for projects that fit with what Netflix users liked already.

Breaking Bad was probably the biggest influence in them ponying up money for House of Cards. Dexter, and other dramas with a strong male lead too.

Daredevil will kinda be in that vein too.

They could bring in Valkyrie (they had designs for her for Thor 2 they never used):
120419_Valkyrie_Rough_v015_JN.jpg

120420_Valkyrie_v016_JN.jpg

120424_Valkyrie_v018_JN.jpg

from comics:
f6b98acc13b16396a38e6e361a3104bb.jpg

They could bring in Valkyrie (they had designs for her for Thor 2 they never used):
120419_Valkyrie_Rough_v015_JN.jpg

120420_Valkyrie_v016_JN.jpg

120424_Valkyrie_v018_JN.jpg

from comics:
f6b98acc13b16396a38e6e361a3104bb.jpg

I like the third one down the best, it looks really cool. They haven't used Balder either, or Sif and the Warriors 3 much for that matter.

They won't, though, because an Asgardian has no relevance to the actual premise of the show.

But I suggested that if Shuma-Gorath appeared, he would take human form, because that would easier on a budget. I'm just saying the giant eye ball with tentacles likely wouldn't work on a TV budget.

Take human form, work through human or humanoid agents on Earth, act as an invisible force that is only ever occasionally glimpsed at, there are a number of ways you can do a character like Shuma-Gorath on a TV budget.

I'm not familiar with every TV show mentioned, its more helpful if you gave specific examples of those creatures that I could look up, instead of just mentioning the TV shows.

Buffy:
The Old Ones
Glory
The First Evil

Angel:
The Senior Partners
Jasmine

Babylon 5:
The Vorlons
The Shadows
The Elder Races

Supernatural:
Lucifer
The Leviathans
Death

All cosmic beings done on a TV budget. They had said beings take human form, act as an invisible force, work through mortal agents, only be seen by the audience very occasionally and otherwise be a behind the scenes force, and other such things to work around the issue of a giant space monster being expensive to portray. And in all of them, said cosmic beings were battled by significantly less powerful heroes. They found ways to write around the power gap by making the conflict not boil down to one-on one fighting, but instead having a series of things that needed to be accomplished to beat the bad guy or having the heroes use some manner of trickery to win the day.

Juggernaut is a two bit thug who happens to get powers from magic, he is not really a cosmic character any more then the Wrecking Crew or Absorbing Man is.

He can also bench press tanks and survive a direct strike from a tomahawk missile. I don't see how that counts as "street level."

That's not really the majority of their stories though, is it.

No, but I'm not suggesting it be a majority of their stories, just their story for the Defenders mini.

Spider-Man was a solo hero for a long time, because he worked best in a street level setting and the Hand's magic is really not as epic Shuma-Gorath. The Black Heart story had more to do Matt's spirituality then anything else, it works because Matt is religious and Black Heart is the son of the Devil, sotries where the devil tries to corrupt and tempt good man go way back and puts Matt into a position where he can win, because while he never could defeat Black Heart or Mepshistio is a physical contest, he could reject their attempts to corrupt him. Shuma-Gorath and Dormammu are more cosmic conquerors then corruptors, they would just kill Matt, not try to corrupt him.

And I'm not suggesting that Daredevil literally try to kick box an elder god in the face. If The Defenders were to involve Strange bringing the team together to face some kind of paranormal threat, the story does not and should not have to come down to Daredevil and the gang physically fighting the bad guy.

Really Spider-Man hardly seems to go on cosmic adventures and he often seems somewhat out of place in that setting.

I disagree.

So should Galactus be a regular Spider-Man or DD villain? :old razz:

No. I never suggested regular.

Seriously though, if this group has more common with DD's street level group from the early 2000s, who are just using the Defenders name, so if that's true, why are they under any obligation to use Strange?

Because it would be cool.

Except they have only be using the Defenders name, not be using the same team from the comics and really the Iron Man movies took Mandarin's name and grafted it on to a different character. Mandarin has nothing to do with AIM in the comics, so why would Dr. strange have to be this version of the Defenders, if they are talking the name and doing something different with it, which is what they did with Mandarin.

I disagree with your premise. Iron Man 3 changed some of the details about the character, but at least to my satisfaction they stayed true to what The Mandarin was all about as a character. To me, The Defenders is all about being a team of random second tier heroes brought together by Dr. Strange to face some weird pulpy supernatural threat. I don't see a Strange-less Defenders that's just the Marvel Knights with the Defenders name being comparable to how they changed The Mandarin.

But, to answer your question: They don't need to include Dr. Strange. I never said they needed to. I simply want them to. Because it would be cool.

But the fact is there could be very minimal magic Iron Fist show, it could be mainly martial arts with the occasional bit of magic, I would assume it would be like that, because that would be easier to shoot.

There are televisions that have obvious and overt magic in them every single episode. It is well within the skill and budget of a television program to tell overtly and consistently magical stories. Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, Supernatural, The X-Files, Being Human, Once Upon a Time, Lost Girl, and many more all have overt supernatural elements every single episode. I get the feeling that you drastically under-estimate the capabilities of a TV show budget.

And he may not get his powers exactly that way in the show, an adaption doesn't have to be 100% faithful to the source material.

Really in the 60s Spider-Man got his powers from a radioactive spider and Tony Stark was injured in Vietnam, origins are often changed or updated in an adaption.

All they did was change "radioactive" to "genetically altered" and "Vietnam" to "Afghanistan." In both of those cases, all of the relevant details were exactly the same, they simply changed the parts that were out-dated.

The dragon thing, however, is not out-dated. Dragons are timeless.

In Iron Fist's case, they have no reason to cut the dragon out of his origin story and they have no reason to make the show, as you said, "mainly martial arts with the occasional bit of magic." The only reason to do that would be to homogenize the show with the notion of these shows being about "street level" characters, which I think would be a bad move.

They won't, though, because an Asgardian has no relevance to the actual premise of the show.

We don't know what the actual premise of the show is yet, though. People are assuming that it's going to be about the four leads fighting gangsters or something, but they might take it in a different direction from that. I'm not saying they will for sure, but I am very much hoping they will. Having, like, The Kingpin be the main villain of the Defenders mini when he's already going to be the big bad of Daredevil's show feels underwhelming to me. I feel like the Defenders mini should be about those four characters coming together to deal with something they would never handle by themselves. That's why I'm hoping that the mini will feature Dr. Strange, and he'll bring the four together to aid him in combatting some supernatural threat. I'm not saying that it will happen, I'm not saying that there is currently any evidence that indicates it will, I'm just saying that it's what I would like to see and that I don't think we're safe assuming that we know what the mini will be like regardless.

So assuming that this team is going to consist of the stars from the series leading up to the event, who do we think the leader of the group will be? I'm voting Cage.
Also any other supporting characters/heroes from the series that could make the team, I'm hoping Misty Knight makes it in.

Daredevil seems like too much of a loner to be the leader, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones aren't really well known enough to be seen as leaders so I'll go with Luke Cage as well.

As for supporting characters, I really hope Punisher makes an appearance, and maybe Moon Knight.

Definitely punisher, especially in a daredevil series. Moon knight would also be cool.

I'm hoping for cage too because then it can lead to a heroes for hire series. Plus it fleshes him out a bit and avoids portraying him as just a dumb brute.

Moon knight would be great for season 2 of this lead up to the defenders

I hope Moon Knight, The Punisher, Paladin, and Shang-Chi make it in one of the shows.

I'm hoping for cage too because then it can lead to a heroes for hire series. Plus it fleshes him out a bit and avoids portraying him as just a dumb brute.

Moon knight would be great for season 2 of this lead up to the defenders

I think these new defenders are replacing the heroes for hire

I'd love to see a hot Valkyrie. Don't know if it's going to happen, lol. Opens up an entirely new scale to what the Defenders are presumably going to take on.

I'd love to see a hot Valkyrie. Don't know if it's going to happen, lol. Opens up an entirely new scale to what the Defenders are presumably going to take on.

I don't think we'll see anyone like Valkyrie, I think the team is going to be all Street-Level heroes. I think we may see Moon Knight and maybe Punisher. Then again Marvel might surprise us they like to do that.

On a show like Buffy or Angel the main characters were super strong
(much stronger than humans) but were still street level heroes.
angel-whedon-notfadeaway.jpg

Its just depends on who they are fighting on the streets.
Maybe some super powered street level bad guys.
Wrecking-Crew-tease.jpg

superiorfoesspidermancover_0.jpg

Could someone please explain to me what "street level" means? It seems like a super vague term to me.

Mainly dealing with crime bosses and syndicates that run the streets. Less flair when it comes to villains. No asgardian gods, no evil take over the world robots, no cosmic superbeings. They're the heroes that are more closely related to regular people for lack of a better term.

And yet in the current Mighty Avengers (good book btw) the first villain that Cage and co fought was Shuma-Gorath (a force that makes beings like Galactus and Thanos look like insignificant bugs by comparison). Cage also went toe to toe with one of Thanos's chief lieutenants. Which leads to wonder just how strong will he be on the show, because he's really damn strong in the comics.

Street level isn't about power level so much as area of focus. That said, Cage really has no business fighting Shuma-Gorath. *Nobody* has business fighting Shuma-Gorath besides a Dr Strange whose been eating his wheaties.

Street level isn't about power level so much as area of focus. That said, Cage really has no business fighting Shuma-Gorath. *Nobody* has business fighting Shuma-Gorath besides a Dr Strange whose been eating his wheaties.

I feel like the current Might Avengers book did a pretty decent job of providing a justification for why Shuma-Gorath could be beaten by Cage and co (he was only at a TINY fraction of his full power at the time) and even then, it still took a freaking GOD (the White Tiger god) as well as a cosmically powered being like Monica Rambeau to finally deal with Shuma. Still, Cage being able to go toe to toe with one of Thanos's chief lieutenants was awesome to see.

I always took street level to mean the attitude. More of a working class hero versus blue collar bad guys, not to say they can't be Asguardian powerful, just that they aren't flashy like Thor or Iron Man. I'd consider Spider-Man a sort of street level hero. As long as the power levels they face match up or are greater, Superman is not a street level hero but Captain America could be depending on how he is depicted. To me its the point of view or depiction of the hero. It also depends on the location, for example X-Factor with Multiple Man was a street level team although they had some real powerful members.
The Defenders facing the Wrecking Crew (with Valkyrie or a lesser known Asguardian) would still in my eyes be Street Level. The Wrecking Crew are street thugs with vast power but still street thugs. Its the approach of the actors and directors and cinematography, etc. They can make the most powerful team still seem Street Level.

Outside of the four I think we'll see:

- Jennifer Walters (whether or not we'll see as She Hulk remains to be seen)
- Misty Knight
- Shang Chi
- Colleen Wing
- Moon Knight
- Punisher

Outside of the four I think we'll see:

- Jennifer Walters (whether or not we'll see as She Hulk remains to be seen)
- Misty Knight
- Shang Chi
- Colleen Wing
- Moon Knight
- Punisher

I could see that those pretty easily

what villains do we want to see oppose our defenders?

I feel like The Hood would work well along with some of his crime syndicates

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"