The Evil Within

I'm not saying I want Amnesia, either, but that's why I always liked the Silent Hill games (the early ones, anyway). You weren't totally useless against monsters (like in Amnesia), but the game was more about running away from them for the most part. That was actually scary: knowing you probably couldn't kill the demented thing coming for you and that you'd be safer to GTFO.

The shooting mechanics in this look pretty awful as well as the enemy hitboxes. And I would've been fine with guns or whatever but when he planted the mine it just seemed to stupid and took me right out of it. It's soooooo Resident Evil, which is just a completely stale franchise to aspire to IMO.

Anyway, I hope it turns out good. Just not holding my breath at this point. The ending where the thing comes out of the floor was pretty awesome.

Have to agree. That whole mining the windows and getting ready for the monster hordes, seemed a bit too gamey. But then again, stuff like that didn't bother me in The Last of Us at all, when I chucked my self build bombs around. Maybe when we see it in context, when he salvages spare parts and builds bombs out of them, it won't appear as silly anymore.

It's soooooo Resident Evil, which is just a completely stale franchise to aspire to IMO.

SH is just as stale a franchise. The RE games still vastly outsell the SH games, even though they are just a shadow of what they used to be. Trying to recreate what RE once was is deff the smarter play as SH has always been second fiddle, in both sales and reception.

But from what little of this game iv seen, it looks to be borrowing heavily from both.

Last edited:
I agree that SH is stale as balls now, but I dunno if I'd agree it was always second fiddle. RE was more of the "mainstream" horror title and Silent Hill was more of the cult classic, which we all know is better. ;)

I just prefer the slow-burn scares over the shooty-mc-shootigan scares, or a combination of both like the Dead Space franchise. I just hope The Evil Within doesn't fall victim to cliche gameplay and monsters like it appears to in the demo footage.

Prove me wrong, Evil Within!

Personally, I'll take SH over RE everyday of the week. The first two RE were great. Then it slowly got worse and worse until 4 came around. Then got worse again. As bad as SH Downpour was it looked like a masterpiece compared to RE 5 and 6. Even the last RE looked like a stale shoot em up. The tension in that game was dry. This looks like RE4 with better graphics. I'm with Dire as I thought this was more survival horror, but it's definitely action,survival, horror. Still will be picking this up most likely.

On second thought I just checked out Dying Light. I might be picking that up instead. Graphics look awesome.

On second thought I just checked out Dying Light. I might be picking that up instead. Graphics look awesome.

Dying Light is pretty heavy on the action itself. Think Dead Island meets Mirrors Edge.

Im not looking to play one of those Amnesia type games. Good lord those look dreadfully boring.

Just finished the first Amnesia, it was dreadfully boring and it's not because you can't attack. it's because its painfully easy and there is no real penalty for death. After something kills you, after you respawn, whatever took you out is magically gone so you can continue and the game FLOODS you with resources to boot. Easily the most overrated horror game in recent memory. What a lot of devs need to realize is that if dying doesn't matter in the game, any sense of fear or tension is completely removed. Sorry to go off topic.

Whoa, this game comes out this year? They need to start promoting it. I'd like to hear more news on this game.

Whoa, this game comes out this year? They need to start promoting it. I'd like to hear more news on this game.

There hasn't been a release date. Amazon still has a place holder date of Dec 2014, so no, this game won't be out this year.

It says dec. 31. 2014. It can't really be that far away though can it?

It says dec. 31. 2014. It can't really be that far away though can it?

Not at all, thats a place holder date. When a game is TBA, most retailers will put the game in their system on the last possible date of that year, Dec 31st. There hasn't been any kind of release date for The Evil Within yet, just TBA 2014. If i had to take a shot in the dark, I'm going to say Spring of 2014. March, Aprilish.

I actually think we'll get this game post E3. I wish we'd get it as soon as possible though. Game looks amazing.

I'll definitely pick this up. Won't win any beauty pageants but looks terrifying.

I'll definitely pick this up. Won't win any beauty pageants but looks terrifying.

Yea its deff one of those late last gen, early next gen port titles. Hopefully those become less and less sooner rather than later.

Deff got an orig RE vibe from it though.

This looks so ****ed up! I'm totally digging it. The graphics don't look too impressive though.

Really pleased this is coming out for the 360. I don't have the money to upgrade to a PS4 or Xbone yet, but I really wanna place this. Looks ****ed up and fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"