The Foreign Film Thread.

Untouchables was so good, I wish more people were talking about it.

:up:
Yeah Depardieu was kind of the DeNiro to his Scorsese. But the other guy he also used too Patrick Dewaere was a great actor too.

Looking forward to watching them. Plus unlike a lot of people, I kind of like Depardieu.

Looking forward to watching them. Plus unlike a lot of people, I kind of like Depardieu.
Yeah me too. I like young Depardieu though. These days he kinda dropped the ball. I think he peaked with Cyrano and after that, with a few exceptions, it was pretty much down hill. Not really easy on the eyes too lately, it's like he became a caricature of his former self or something:woot:

Yeah me too. I like young Depardieu though. These days he kinda dropped the ball. I think he peaked with Cyrano and after that, with a few exceptions, it was pretty much down hill. Not really easy on the eyes too lately, it's like he became a caricature of his former self or something:woot:

Yeah, he gained a lot of weight. That can be expected though as you get older though.

The last film I saw him in was How Much Do You Love Me with Monica Bellucci. He wasn't too bad in that one, he played a pimp/mobster.

Yeah, he gained a lot of weight. That can be expected though as you get older though.

The last film I saw him in was How Much Do You Love Me with Monica Bellucci. He wasn't too bad in that one, he played a pimp/mobster.
Yeah, very true. I haven't seen the one with Belucci, but I heard good things about it. Thanks for reminding me about it:up:, I will check it out.
Recently he was also pretty good in "Mesrine", starring Vincent Cassel about France's most notorious gangster.
It's cool that you watch different kinds of films from different horizons like that.

Yeah, very true. I haven't seen the one with Belucci, but I heard good things about it. Thanks for reminding me about it:up:, I will check it out.
Recently he was also pretty good in "Mesrine", starring Vincent Cassel about France's most notorious gangster.

Just letting you know, How Much Do You Love Me is a bit wacky at times. :woot:

Yeah, I watched both two Mesrine films and liked them a lot. I've only seen Cassel in a few other films before that, but I thought he was pretty damn good in those films.

Finally watched "I Saw the Devil" (in preparation for The Last Stand:cwink:)
What a great director Jee-Woon Kim is.

Finally watched "I Saw the Devil" (in preparation for The Last Stand:cwink:)
What a great director Jee-Woon Kim is.

Great film!!

Just watched Going Places after you recommended it earlier in the thread. Pretty good, but has some wacky humor in it.:woot:

Great film!!

Just watched Going Places after you recommended it earlier in the thread. Pretty good, but has some wacky humor in it.:woot:
Yeah, wacky is the right word:woot: Also very much a product of its time, like movies like "Midnight Cowboy" or "Easy Rider." Glad you liked it:up:

Got myself Cronus on criterion bluray, just have to find the time to watch it.

Yeah, wacky is the right word:woot: Also very much a product of its time, like movies like "Midnight Cowboy" or "Easy Rider." Glad you liked it:up:

I got a few more of that director's films on my cue. Thinking about bumping them up on the list.

Got myself Cronus on criterion bluray, just have to find the time to watch it.

Cronus was pretty good but when it comes to Del Toro's earlier films, I liked The Devil's Backbone a lot more.

The Man Without a Map (1968). Not as good as Abe's novel, what with the conventionalizing of the narrative, but decent.

Anyone seen Infernal Affairs? How good is it compared to The Departed?

Better, but The Departed is still a really good remake of it.

Better, but The Departed is still a really good remake of it.
I also prefer the original.
In terms of American remakes of Foreign films it's a bit hit and miss.
HIT:
The Departed (Infernal Affairs)
True Lies (La Totale)
The Bird Cage (La Cage aux Folles)
Let Me In (Let the Right One In)
The Magnificent Seven (Seven Samurai)
Etc...

MISS:
Too many to name :woot:

Enjoyed Hong Sang-soo's In Another Country more than I'd thought. Still not as good as The Day He Arrives.

Young-jae Lee's The Harmonium in My Memory - a slice of life set in a small Korean village during the '60's. A handsome teacher arrives at the village school and sets off a passion in a young girl, while another teacher at the school sets off his. Made with an effective simplicity, and a good score. Curiously, the director's only film besides something called The Friends.

Just rewatched "La Beaute du Diable" (Beauty and the Devil) by Rene Clair. It's a great film and one of the best Faust adaptations for the big screen, with a virtuoso performance by the fantastic Michel Simon as the devil.
If you like films like Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast or Children of Paradise you will like this one.

Gwynplaine, have you seen 'The Secret In Their Eyes'? It won the Academy Award for best foreign language film a couple of years ago.

Gwynplaine, have you seen 'The Secret In Their Eyes'? It won the Academy Award for best foreign language film a couple of years ago.
I loved it. Great film:up:

Last edited:
Ah! Good. I thought you may like it. Don't know how well the argentinian humor translates into the english language, but Campanella's earlier movies are also very good.
"Son of the Bride", "Avellaneda's Moon" are very interesting.

Ah! Good. I thought you may like it. Don't know how well the argentinian humor translates into the english language, but Campanella's earlier movies are also very good.
"Son of the Bride", "Avellaneda's Moon" are very interesting.
Thanks for the info, man:up: I really liked "The Secret in their Eyes", so I will check them out.

Really enjoyed Chow's Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons. Manic and fun, and it's always nice to see Qi Shu in an action film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"