The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

BlackHardKnight said:

http://imageshack.us

3zkmxr4.jpg

?????????? :huh:

Memphis Slim said:
You got a point. And if it is glaringly obvious who is the most talented, you gotta push him up front to sell records.

The Jacksons..... Michael
jackson_l.jpg

Now Jermaine had talent and even had a few hits.

Memphis Slim said:
?????????? :huh:

Ok I know your like WTF....

Wild Cherry "Play that funk music , white boy"

Queen "Another one bits the dust." Actually got air play on Black radio when most white djs passed on it.

And this guy's theme....

Soul II Soul is a 2-time Grammy winning act that emerged at the end of the 80s from London. The group initially attracted attention as a sound system, playing records at house and street parties (where their clothing style - dubbed "Funki Dred" - quickly made a splash, inspiring them to start a line of clothing). Founded by Jazzie B and featuring a changing roster of other musicians - notably Nellee Hooper and Caron Wheeler - Soul II Soul's experiments in music-making of their own resulted in the dub plate "Fairplay," which secured them a deal with Virgin Records. They had huge hits in 1989 with the singles "Keep on Movin'" and "Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)," both from their debut album Club Classics Vol. I. These songs (both featuring Wheeler on vocals) set the tone for early 90s mainstream dance music in the UK.
Their follow-up album, Vol. II: 1990 - A New Decade, yielded the hits "Get A Life" and "A Dream's A Dream," the latter featuring operatic vocals by Victoria Wilson-James. While their U.S. following declined somewhat following its release, Soul II Soul continued to have hits in the UK, including 1992's top 10 single, "Joy."
Soul II Soul reached Volume 5 of their series for Virgin in 1995, then released 2 more albums for Island Records.
In October 2004 Keep On Movin appeared in popular videogame Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, playing on R&B, Soul radio station CSR 103.9.

2cnbe6s.jpg

When Caron left it was not the same for them.

BlackHardKnight said:
Soul II Soul is a 2-time Grammy winning act that emerged at the end of the 80s from London. The group initially attracted attention as a sound system, playing records at house and street parties (where their clothing style - dubbed "Funki Dred" - quickly made a splash, inspiring them to start a line of clothing). Founded by Jazzie B and featuring a changing roster of other musicians - notably Nellee Hooper and Caron Wheeler - Soul II Soul's experiments in music-making of their own resulted in the dub plate "Fairplay," which secured them a deal with Virgin Records. They had huge hits in 1989 with the singles "Keep on Movin'" and "Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)," both from their debut album Club Classics Vol. I. These songs (both featuring Wheeler on vocals) set the tone for early 90s mainstream dance music in the UK.
Their follow-up album, Vol. II: 1990 - A New Decade, yielded the hits "Get A Life" and "A Dream's A Dream," the latter featuring operatic vocals by Victoria Wilson-James. While their U.S. following declined somewhat following its release, Soul II Soul continued to have hits in the UK, including 1992's top 10 single, "Joy."
Soul II Soul reached Volume 5 of their series for Virgin in 1995, then released 2 more albums for Island Records.
In October 2004 Keep On Movin appeared in popular videogame Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, playing on R&B, Soul radio station CSR 103.9.

2cnbe6s.jpg

When Caron left it was not the same for them.

That whole black British Invasion was nice in the late 80's. Maxi Preist, Loose Ends, Vertical Hold, Carron Wheeler....... Jazzie B and Company were beat out by Milli Vanilli that first year. They got the grammy by default when it was discovered they didn't sing.

I lost all respect for award shows after Soul II Soul lost to Rob and Fab.

BlackHardKnight said:
Ok I know your like WTF....

Wild Cherry "Play that funk music , white boy"

Queen "Another one bits the dust." Actually got air play on Black radio when most white djs passed on it.

And this guy's theme....

Okay.......I've rarely seen a picture of Wild Cherry.

The Queen cut did get a lot of play in black circles.

Issac Hayes has some of the best music I have ever heard...

His Look Of Love from Dead President...no words for it.:o

BlackHardKnight said:
BEST.SOUNDTRACK.EVER.

I beg to differ on that my brotha'.......:whatever:

CMOB-2016-SA.jpg

This was the soundtrack to the movie of the same title. The movie never got released. But the rest is history.

BlackHardKnight said:
Issac Hayes has some of the best music I have ever heard...

His Look Of Love from Dead President...no words for it.:o

A Memphis home boy!!! Yea buddy.......:cool: He could stretch out an intro....LOL "Walk on By"......"The Love of Love....." Hayes was cool.

I guess nobody else like this music but us??? :woot:

Smokey Robinson and the Miraces, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, The Temptations, Parliament Funkadelic, The Drifters, The Platters, Sam Cooke, Prince and the Revolution, The Family, The Time.

What was Caron Wheeler's music like after Soul II Soul? I remember magazine ads for Beach of the War Goddess, but I never heard anything.

Armand Z Trip said:
Smokey Robinson and the Miraces, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, The Temptations, Parliament Funkadelic, The Drifters, The Platters, Sam Cooke, Prince and the Revolution, The Family, The Time.

What was Caron Wheeler's music like after Soul II Soul? I remember magazine ads for Beach of the War Goddess, but I never heard anything.

Let's just say Soul 2 Soul and Caron need each other.:o

Memphis Slim said:
I beg to differ on that my brotha'.......:whatever:

CMOB-2016-SA.jpg

This was the soundtrack to the movie of the same title. The movie never got released. But the rest is history.

Ummmm who got this for best soundtrack....

BlackHardKnight said:
Ummmm who got this for best soundtrack....

As I said...the movie never got released. Therefore, EWF couldn't be put in that category. But it was a movie sound track never the less. A little FYI trivia for ya'.

And it won a grammy.

Memphis Slim said:
As I said...the movie never got released. Therefore, EWF couldn't be put in that category. But it was a movie sound track never the less. A little FYI trivia for ya'.

And it won a grammy.

I was wondering when u would show up...I love EMF but still It's Shaft.

BlackHardKnight said:
One of Mr. Wonder's great album.

This is when he started experimenting with synthesizers. Gordy wasn't o keen on this "new" direction. This turned out to be a masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"