The Guns thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thread Manager, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Well-Known Member

Which, by your very definition there, a semi-automatic rifle clearly falls under the former, not the latter.

2. Robert_Anthony

Robert_Anthony Well-Known Member

I know this is about guns, but, it also is about the TV show Supergirl, whose forum I have quit because of its supporting of authoritarian, progressive garbage that is against this republic. From the blog Ammoland comes a total blasting of the show's upcoming season 4.

Author David Codrea, a field editor/columnist at GUNS Magazine and associate editor for the website of the Pro-American sovereignty group Oath Keepers, he blogs at “The War on Guns: Notes from the Resistance,” wrote

And no to all the zombie progressive authoritarians who post here, Mr. Codrea is NOT SOME RIGHT WING KOOK WHO WANTS TO KILL PEOPLE UNLIKE THE ISLAMIC TERRORISTS AND REFUGEES WHO ILLEGALLY COME HERE LIKE MS-13, YOU KNOW THOSE HUMANS PELOSI CARES MORE FOR THAN HER OWN CITIZENS OF CALIFORNIA.

As for execution...

SPLC stands for the vile, disgusting leftist operation The Southern Poverty Law Center which hates conservatives and promotes the globalists. And by non-democrats, Codrea means independents, libertarians, old school liberals, conservatives, Christians, etc, who do not fit in to the leftist plantation called the Democratic party!

And in one memo to the foolish writers who get material from The Huffington Post, Slate, Buzzfeed, the CBC, CNN, CTV or any corporate media outlet that hates Breitbart and Infowars, comes this right back in your faces...

And frankly EVEN BETSY ROSS IS ROLLING IN HER GRAVE.

3. DeadPresident

DeadPresident Well-Known Member

My guy, what…?

4. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

All you need to know is that he thinks Infowars is legitimate. So, yeah it isn't exactly a loss in the Supergirl forums.

5. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

Iowa boy, 12, 'tries to shoot teacher in face'

A fortunately failed school shooting that seems to have gained no attention (though given the current climate, not unexpected since no one was hurt let alone killed).

BBC

6. Teelie

6 people are dead after shooting spree in California

Another day, another mass shooting in the US.

CNN

7. Aximili86

Aximili86 Well-Known Member

D*ckhead crazy guys strike again.

8. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

9. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

Sadly at this point we need a dedicated Mass Shooting thread. Id say rename this thread, but there are legitimate responsible gun owners on the Hype that used to post in here about recent gun purchases and new guns on the market. I'd prefer this thread not just be a bulletin board to report the latest tragedy and NRA stupidity. That being said...

:dry: The NRA is such a ****ing cancer on this country and the world.

10. Holiday

Holiday Celebrate

I believe you're thinking of this thread in the community forum,

https://forums.superherohype.com/threads/the-gun-thread.349547/

11. Holiday

Holiday Celebrate

12. Handsome Rob

Handsome Rob Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Holiday likes this.
  13. Teelie

Do you think those women who had their own gun used against them will say the same thing?

It's curious that it's pro-gun and anti-gun but never mention of the majority who is in the middle with stronger regulation and restriction but not banning. It's almost as if you can't accept there are people who say guns aren't inherently bad but the current situation is totally out of control. Nope. It's either gun free for all or no guns at all.

14. Handsome Rob

Not at all. That's why I specifically said "anti-gun" and not "gun control."

Should I add a clarification for you in the future? Something like:

Would that help? Would that be clearer?

15. Teelie

What you and so many others do is defend guns against a phantom anti-gun menace that is a tiny, tiny minority of people as if they were the majority. You balk at the very idea of gun control as if it were going to impact you somehow. That one day soon you will need that gun to fend off criminals or terrorists or some hypothetical military coup and that you with your AR-15 are somehow going to prevail.

That is the kind of ridiculous and reactionary pro gun mentality I am responding to. And it is always the same response: gun control is secret language for gun banishment.

Pointing out the handful of times a civilian with a gun successfully used it while ignoring the hundreds if not thousands of times it failed to do anything but harm them instead is why I eyeroll and respond to such lopsided defenses. More people die by suicide with a gun than they ever will protecting themselves.

16. Handsome Rob

Link (see page 16)

Defensive uses of guns range in estimates between 500,000 and 3,000,000 defensive uses of guns per year. It may be as low 108,000 defensive uses, annually, according to the National Crime Victimization Survey administered by the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics.

According to the CDC (see page 41), there were 21,575 suicides by firearm and 11,208 homicides. Hey, let's throw in the 505 accidental firearms deaths as well, for a grand total of 33,288 firearms related deaths for 2013.

108,000 estimate of annual defensive uses versus a total of 33,288 homicide/suicide/accidental deaths, both numbers coming from federal government statistics. I think you might be the one with the lopsided defense here. :funny:

17. Teelie

And yet we still have more gun crime and more gun related suicides than anywhere else in the world. So instead of addressing it we'll just throw statistics around to justify an out of control gun culture. Maybe I crossed some of the facts but it still doesn't change the daily mass shootings, murders, suicides and other gun crime we have compared to everywhere else except maybe a warzone.

And btw: not one bit of that changes the need for gun control. I bolded that for you in case you lost track of the original intent. You know control, not banning. But keep swinging statistics around how somehow this is safer than if guns were restricted. I'm sure that helps you feel more secure.

18. Handsome Rob

There were 38,658 gun-related deaths in 2016 according to the CDC, with a population of 323,127,513. That meant that if you were in the United States in 2016, you had a 0.012% chance of being murdered or of taking your own life via firearm.

0.012%. That's not 1%. That's a little over 1/100ths of one percent! By contrast, the CDC reports that alcohol-related deaths just from excessive drinking numbered about 88,000 in 2016, or 0.027% of the deaths in 2016. That's more than double the rate of gun deaths. If our gun culture is "out of control" with such a low percentage, I can only imagine what you must think of our alcohol culture.

19. Handsome Rob

The original intent of what? I responded to Holiday's articles about defensive gun use with a question involving anti-gun people. You jumped in and wrongly inferred that I was conflating the anti-gun and gun-control crowds.

Then, when I offered a clarification between anti-gun and gun control, you spun out with a completely unsubstantiated argument about a "handful of defensive gun uses." So, I responded with actual statistics to counter that argument. I never made any arguments as to the efficacy of increased gun control (or the removal of any existing gun laws, for that matter).

20. Teelie

My original comment was about the anti-gun control sentiment pro-gun owners have.

I don't even know why I got involved in this. Pro-gun advocates will always find something to back their argument how guns everywhere is a good thing. Anyone who disagrees is anti-gun and really just looking to make guns illegal and round and round it will go. You will dismiss all the mass shootings, murders, gun crimes and etc. as the price of having a pro gun culture that is somehow what, a good thing? Every other country in the world with more restricted gun control doesn't have the same problems but we'll ignore that because we can't have a serious discussion on limitations before the words "gun ban" come into play.

Guns are a problem. Pretending they solve more problems than they create is precisely why I stay out of these pointless debates.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  21. MaceB

MaceB Well-Known Member

The only real argument that ammophiles have is the slippery slope argument, and it's pure paranoid speculation at best... a deliberate and disingenuous effort to distract at worst.

22. Teelie

I think to put it aptly, I jumped the gun on this argument and went straight to the inevitable conclusion. For the forseeable future there will be no compromise on gun control. Clearly we haven't had enough people murdered with them yet. I don't know what the threshold for "enough is enough" is but it must be north of 500 casualties in a single incident.

23. Elektra1

Elektra1 Ski bum

This is a dishonest argument for a couple of reasons. First, gun related deaths aren't spread out over the whole country. Some areas see much higher rates of gun violence, thereby increasing one's chances of being a victim based on where they live.

Secondly, your population estimate includes everyone in the US; seniors, kids, inmates, etc. In other words, people who can't own a gun or contribute to the violence (seniors aside, but their gun rates aren't exactly high).

Basically, what this boils down to is a very simplistic view of taking the total number of gun deaths and attributing it to the whole population, ignoring factors such as location, race, age, and culture.

24. Handsome Rob

You jumped the gun on the argument you were making. Keep that in mind. I didn't bring gun control laws into it at any point. You did.

That's all you.

25. Teelie

No, you had not yet, but it is inevitable it would come up. Which is also what I said in that post.