• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The High-Def Thread, Now With 95% Less HD DVD - Part 1

A Clockwork Orange Anniversary Edition Blu-ray, Kubrick Limited Collection
Warner Home Video has officially announced A Clockwork Orange: 40th Anniversary Edition for Blu-ray release on May 31, in a two-disc Digibook edition with new additional content. On the same date, the studio will also release the nine-movie, ten-disc Stanley Kubrick Limited Edition Collection, including Spartacus, Lolita (new to Blu-ray), Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon (new to Blu-ray), The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut.

No announcement has been made at the moment for a separate Blu-ray release of Lolita or Barry Lyndon

A Clockwork Orange 40th Anniversary Edition

Special features include:

* Commentary by Malcolm McDowell and historian Nick Redman
* Malcolm McDowell Looks Back: Malcolm McDowell reflects on his experience working with legendary director Stanley Kubrick on one of the seminal films of the 1970s (new)
* Turning like Clockwork: the film's ultra-violence and its cultural impact (new)
* Still Tickin': The Return of Clockwork Orange
* Great Bolshy Yarblockos!: Making A Clockwork Orange
* Theatrical Trailer
* Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures: Kubrick's career comes into sharp focus in this compelling documentary narrated by Tom Cruise. Fascinating footage glimpses Kubrick in his early years, at work on film sets and at home, augmented by candid commentary from collaborators, colleagues and family (new to Blu-ray)
* O Lucky Malcolm!: Documentary about the life and career of actor Malcolm McDowell produced and directed by Jan Harlan

The 40th Anniversary Edition will be packaged in a 40-page Blu-ray Book with rare photos, production notes and more.

Stanley Kubrick: Limited Edition Collection

The Blu-ray collection will be boxed in new book-style premium packaging and will include a 40-page hard-cover book that explores the breadth of genres and themes in Kubrick's work. It will include the new release of A Clockwork Orange and the existing releases of Spartacus (licensed from Universal), Strangelove (licensed from Sony), 2001, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition and Eyes Wide Shut. See individual entries for details.

No special features have been listed for Lolita or Barry Lyndon.

Blu-ray Puts Image in the Black
In its results for the quarter ended December 31, Image Entertainment reported that sales of Blu-ray titles increased 85% to $5.7 million, compared to $3.1 million last year. Partly thanks to that, the studio reported net income of nearly $1.4 million compared to a loss of $2 million during the previous-year period.

Remarkably, the top-selling titles for the quarter included two black-and-white, 50-year-old titles from The Criterion Collection (which Image distributes): The Night of the Hunter and Paths of Glory.

DVD sales were $19 million (3.7% down), while digital distribution revenue was $1.1 million (14.2% down).

$5 Coupon for Rain Man Blu-ray
Coupons.com has a printable coupon good towards the purchase of the Rain Man Blu-ray, which streets today. To access it, go to the Coupons.com website, click on the "Entertainment" tab and the coupon will show up on the coupon display area, on the second page. You will need special coupon printing software installed.

At the time of writing, the lowest price for Rain Man is $13.86 at Walmart. Best Buy has it for $14.99.

The Man Who Would Be King Blu-ray Announced
Warner Home Video has announced The Man Who Would Be King for Blu-ray release on June 7. This classic adventure movie, starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine and directed by John Huston, will be presented in a Digibook edition including a 32-page book "packed with film information and photos."

The only special feature in the disc is the vintage featurette Call It Magic: The Making of The Man Who Would Be King.

A Clockwork Orange Anniversary Edition Blu-ray, Kubrick Limited Collection
Warner Home Video has officially announced A Clockwork Orange: 40th Anniversary Edition for Blu-ray release on May 31, in a two-disc Digibook edition with new additional content. On the same date, the studio will also release the nine-movie, ten-disc Stanley Kubrick Limited Edition Collection, including Spartacus, Lolita (new to Blu-ray), Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon (new to Blu-ray), The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut.

No announcement has been made at the moment for a separate Blu-ray release of Lolita or Barry Lyndon

Blu-ray Puts Image in the Black
In its results for the quarter ended December 31, Image Entertainment reported that sales of Blu-ray titles increased 85% to $5.7 million, compared to $3.1 million last year. Partly thanks to that, the studio reported net income of nearly $1.4 million compared to a loss of $2 million during the previous-year period.

Remarkably, the top-selling titles for the quarter included two black-and-white, 50-year-old titles from The Criterion Collection (which Image distributes): The Night of the Hunter and Paths of Glory.

DVD sales were $19 million (3.7% down), while digital distribution revenue was $1.1 million (14.2% down).

Both of these make me quite happy.

That Kubrick box set is so mine when it comes out!

news_5887_1.jpg

news_5887_2.jpg

I have 2001 on Blu but I can't do anymore Kubrick... creeps me to no end...

Lady and the Tramp, Fox and the Hound Blu-ray Coming Up
The upcoming Diamond Blu-ray edition of Bambi includes an insert offering new information regarding upcoming titles from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. After The Lion King in fall 2011, the next Diamond title will be Lady and the Tramp in spring 2012. The studio will also release The Fox and the Hound and The Fox and the Hound II as a non-Diamond double-feature BD in September 2011.

The Cove, Rules of Attraction, Still Waiting Blu-ray Go Wide
Lionsgate Home Entertainment has announced the general Blu-ray release of The Cove, The Rules of Attraction and Still Waiting... for April 5. These three titles had been released on February 1 exclusively at Best Buy.

Special features include:

The Cove

* Audio commentary with director Louie Psihoyos and producer
* The Cove: Mercury Rising: a mini-documentary on the hazards of mercury in fish
* Behind-the-scenes footage
* Deleted and extended scenes

Still Waiting...

* Audio commentary with writer Rob McKittrick and producer Jeff Balis
* Behind-the-scenes featurette
* Deleted and extended scenes
* Gag reel

The Rules of Attraction

* Five "revolving door" commentary tracks by the cast and crew
* Bonus commentary by "mystery guest"

The Cincinnati Kid, Point Break Blu-ray Announced
Warner Home Video has announced two catalog titles for Blu-ray release on June 14: The Cincinnati Kid (Norman Jewison, 1965) and Point Break (Kathryn Bigelow, 1991). The latter had previously been released on Blu-ray by 20th Century Fox in 2008. That BD is now out of print.

Four Imax 3D Blu-ray Titles from Image in March
Image has announced four Imax 3D titles for Blu-ray release in March, three of them part of its agreement with Big Picture Digital Productions. On March 1, the studio will release Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia and The Ultimate Wave: Tahiti. Then, on March 29, two other titles will hit store shelves: Mummies: Secret of the Pharaohs and Ultimate G's: Zac s Flying Dream (starring an 11-year-old Michael Cera). List price is $24.98 for each. All of them are 2D compatible.

Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs had already been released on 3D Blu-ray, albeit within a Samsung-exclusive IMAX 3D Triple Feature

Definitely up for Lady and the Tramp, I used to watch that all the time as a kid.

Echo Bridge Gets Slice of Miramax Blu-ray Catalog Pie
Echo Bridge Entertainment – the studio that brought you Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus – and Miramax have announced that they have entered into a domestic distribution deal, under which Echo Bridge will distribute 251 titles from the Miramax film library via DVD and Blu-ray to retailers around the country "utilizing Echo Bridge's unique merchandising and distribution techniques."

Miramax titles under the new partnership include the From Dusk Till Dawn trilogy, dramas such as Music of the Heart, Marvin's Room, Tsotsi and Becoming Jane, and select titles from the Hellraiser, Halloween, Pokemon and Children of the Corn franchises.

A week ago (see Blu-ray.com, February 11), Miramax had announced another distribution deal with Lionsgate and Studiocanal, involving "more than 550 titles" from the Miramax library, including Pulp Fiction and the Scream trilogy.

Kubrick Limited Collection Blu-ray Details Emerge
The Digital Bits has posted additional information regarding the upcoming Stanley Kubrick Limited Edition Collection, slated for Blu-ray release on May 31. The video transfers and AV specs for the titles already available (including A Clockwork Orange) will be exactly the same as for the existing BD releases. As for the new titles, they will both come with DTS-HD Master Audio tracks (mono for Lolita and 5.1 for Barry Lyndon).

There still is no information regarding a possible separate release of those titles, but it must be noted that both Lolita and Barry Lyndon are already up for preorder in Germany, with a release date of May 20.

The documentary Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures will be presented in standard definition.

Casablanca, Lethal Weapon Blu-ray to Be Pulled from Shelves
Warner Home Video has announced a moratorium initiative starting March 28 for Casablanca and all four films in the Lethal Weapon series (of which only Lethal Weapon and Lethal Weapon 2 have been released on Blu-ray in the US). They will be re-released in 2012 in special anniversary editions, which will include "stunning remasterings, spectacular Blu-ray debuts, new special features, Ultimate Collectors Editions and more."

At the moment, there is no information as to whether these titles will be withdrawn in the US only or worldwide. It must be noted that the Lethal Weapon collection was released in late 2010 in the UK, France and Germany.

Today is the 3rd Anniversary of a very very tragic day.... :(

Oh nice. Doesn't seem like they're selection is a lot different from Netflix, and my Prime free year is running out, but also neat to have options.

Lady and the Tramp, Fox and the Hound Blu-ray Coming Up
The upcoming Diamond Blu-ray edition of Bambi includes an insert offering new information regarding upcoming titles from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. After The Lion King in fall 2011, the next Diamond title will be Lady and the Tramp in spring 2012. The studio will also release The Fox and the Hound and The Fox and the Hound II as a non-Diamond double-feature BD in September 2011.

I can understand the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 double feature considering that they are pretty much the same movie, were both good, and were both released in theaters. But why the hell is Disney releasing one of their crappy DisneyToon DTV movies with one of their good theatrical releases? That's like packing The Little Mermaid, Lion King, Bambi, and Aladdin sequels to their respective movies. No one wants them.

It's always nice to get something extra. It won't have me rush to cancel my Netfix account, but it's cool to have another option.

I can understand the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 double feature considering that they are pretty much the same movie, were both good, and were both released in theaters. But why the hell is Disney releasing one of their crappy DisneyToon DTV movies with one of their good theatrical releases? That's like packing The Little Mermaid, Lion King, Bambi, and Aladdin sequels to their respective movies. No one wants them.

Hey now, sure some of the DTV sequels weren't that great, but some were pretty good and I'd be up for having them along with originals in a boxed set or something. :woot:

I'd actually LOVE the Lion King and Aladdin sequels on Blu-ray. I thought they were actually pretty great! (Though I would want them to each have their own case because I'm OCD about that. :p)

Hey guys. I know a lot of you are Amazon Prime members, so I just saw that they are adding streaming of 5,000 movies and TV shows to it's service for free. :up:

http://www.amazon.com/ref=gno_prmlogo

Very nice. Competition in the streaming market is definitely good for us the consumers. The only question is how does Amazon's streaming compare to not only Netflix but also compared to Blu-ray? Hopefully this means a new up coming up for the PS3 as well?

Could be worse. You could have had to sit through Little Mermaid II in a movie theater like I did. :csad:

Very nice. Competition in the streaming market is definitely good for us the consumers. The only question is how does Amazon's streaming compare to not only Netflix but also compared to Blu-ray? Hopefully this means a new up coming up for the PS3 as well?

The streaming is ok. The cool thing is that it is Flash based. That means that will work on you Android phone that has Flash. I tried Red Cliff on my HTC Evo, and it worked great. Netflix has been dragging it's feet in this regard.

Hey now, sure some of the DTV sequels weren't that great, but some were pretty good and I'd be up for having them along with originals in a boxed set or something. :woot:

I'd actually LOVE the Lion King and Aladdin sequels on Blu-ray. I thought they were actually pretty great! (Though I would want them to each have their own case because I'm OCD about that. :p)

What is wrong with you guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"