The Hitcher remake

Mr. Credible said:
be honest with yourselves, if this movie was never remade, would you even know what the original was?

Um... I did, and I'm 18... saw it when I was 17- so, yeah I knew about the original before knowing there was a remake.

MaskedManJRK said:
it felt like a twisted action film instead of horror

Well, the Hitcher (the original) is both actually. A twisted action film that can be considered a horror film. That's one of the things I loved about the original- a 'scary' action thriller.

if you're 15-25 years old, you've probably never heard of the original anyway, and never would have, if they wouldn't have remade it, so who cares if they remake it?

be honest with yourselves, if this movie was never remade, would you even know what the original was? i'm 23, a fairly big horror movie buff, and i've never, ever heard of the hitcher.

Wow you haven't? :huh:

i remember when i saw the original with my mom... i laughed and laughed until the end (and don't worry, i wont give it away to all you Hitcher virgins)

i was horrified.
absolutely horrified.

i bet they're going to remake it different. that way you don't leave feeling all sad.... LAME!!! and blasphemous i might add.

i say leave it alone.

Can you tell me what the twist was in spoiler tags?

Just got done seeing the movie. I think I'd give it a 4/10. I just couldn't get into it,and it kindof draged on. I think I prefer the Hitcher with Rutger Hauer,he seemed to fit better with it.
This one was well,more graphic than the other ones,but for some reason I just couldnt get into it. Sean Bean was a good 'hitcher',but the movie was just lacking any type of emotional angst towards his character?

I like Sean Bean. But this looks no different than any other "horror movie" crap fest being released these days.

Well, I just had to do it. I had to see it for myself. All the other remakes, I could care less about. I don't have the love for Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Halloween that a lot of people have, so I don't hold them to be so sacred that they can't be remade. But dammit, the Hitcher, for me personally, that was MY movie! The dynamic between Jim and John is ESSENTIAL! It's basically John calling Jim out, in a perverse way, to be a man. Be the man that will kill another man. But the man that can save the woman. You lose that by making the main protagonist female. To say nothing of it missing the point of the original film, which went against the grain as far as the trends for slasher films in the early to mid 80s. The idea that the female, usually a teenager, has to find this inner stregth and fight back against a male oppressor. There's also the whole idea of slasher films as a sexual metaphor. It was refreshing to see The Hitcher take stuff like this out of the equation.

The problem with the remake begins with there being two people against Ryder in the first place. The initial with Ryder holding the knife to Jim loses a lot of tension with there being another person in the car. That person takes on all the concern and fear that should be taken on by the audience. There's no solitude with Jim as he has to deal with this psycho in his passenger seat. Then from the tiime they get him out of the car, it's a lot of bickering and "I told you so" banter to the point where certain scenes come off like they belong in a sitcom. There's also the face that Jim is NOTHING like Jim in the original. They've made him "cool guy", with his buff bod, soul patch, tattoos and muscle car. Not to mention A GIRLFRIEND!! Yeah, Nash is eventually introduced in the original, but for the most part, the film is Jim's journey, and Nash only gets pulled into things later on in the film, and it makes her death that much more powerful. The fact that Jim got her involved and he barely knew her. There's this trust that has to build quickly because of the urgency of the situation. But with Jim and Grace being there from the beginning, they both end up getting shortchanged. Having to focuse on two character arcs playing out simultaneously, they get cancelled out. For a while, it feels like the film should be Jim's journey as there's a plot point of him being nervous about meeting Grace's friends and having to deal with that until Ryder is introduced. But then it turns out to be Grace's journey, but for no justifiable reason.

Beyond that, the film just takes every moment of subtlety from the original, and decides they have to follow through and show us EVERYTHING. Jim and Grace finding the family in the station wagon, and of course, the Rig scene outside the motel. Nothing was more horrifying then imagining what happened to Nash when Ryder let the rig roll. Seeing it happen in the remake was just ridiculous. The filmmakers don't leave anything to the imagination. And it seems like they go out of their way to add as much blood to the film as possible. It's really quite a mess of a film.

Im thinking about seeing this Monday night.

This is bull S***!!! Everybody pisses & moans about these remakes, & it is always followed by "But I will probably check it out". Don't you people know that the bean counter only sees the bean. You are contributing to all these remakes. If you don't like them don't watch them. Then they will stop!

The only reason I don't want to see this movie is because Sean Bean has a terrible American accent. It's awful. We're talking... Ewan MacGregor bad, ya know?

Wow you haven't? :huh:

nope. i like horror movies, i try to rent as many as i can, and i had never heard of this movie.

i think that honestly, not pointing fingers, that half of you people have never seen the original versions of some of these remakes, and you just like to b!tch and moan.

honestly, a lot of the members on this site are teenagers, and i'm sure that most, if not all of them, have never seen the hitcher, or the hills have eyes, or watched magnum pi, or miami vice, and so on and so forth... like i said, they just like a reason to get all militant.

This is bull S***!!! Everybody pisses & moans about these remakes, & it is always followed by "But I will probably check it out". Don't you people know that the bean counter only sees the bean. You are contributing to all these remakes. If you don't like them don't watch them. Then they will stop!

I dont mind remakes, yes most of them are crap but its not like you can't go back and watch the original. Every once in awhile a good remake comes out.

Plus I like Sean Bean.

Beyond that, the film just takes every moment of subtlety from the original, and decides they have to follow through and show us EVERYTHING. Jim and Grace finding the family in the station wagon, and of course, the Rig scene outside the motel. Nothing was more horrifying then imagining what happened to Nash when Ryder let the rig roll. Seeing it happen in the remake was just ridiculous. The filmmakers don't leave anything to the imagination. And it seems like they go out of their way to add as much blood to the film as possible. It's really quite a mess of a film.

What bothers me about remakes you summed up in these few sentences. I love the Hitcher. A friend told me about it when I turned 18 and I had this big hiorror movie party for my birthday and that was one of the films we watched. Ive loved it since then. But whenever horror films get remade the filmmakers always feel they need to go the extra mile. They dont leave anything to the imagination and that sucks most of the time. Its as if they are trying to fulfill some quota of blood-spilling. Even once in a while you get a good remake but most are crap. A way to introduce the young newbies to the old stuff.

Being a huge fan of the original film, I was originally skeptical on whether or not they could pull it off. But, glad to see they stuck true to the essence of the original film. Comubining action and horror. The memorable scenes from the original are in the remake such as the station wagon, highway chase scene, etc. As the guy that plays John Hasley in the remake said (also a fan of the original)- it's the Hitcher but they did their own thing in a way... seemed like a remake/sequel- if that makes sense. So, after being skeptical- as many on here are about their own favorite classics- it definitely lived up to the original in my opinion.

I dont mind remakes, yes most of them are crap but its not like you can't go back and watch the original. Every once in awhile a good remake comes out.

Plus I like Sean Bean.

Hope you have fun.

The only reason I don't want to see this movie is because Sean Bean has a terrible American accent. It's awful. We're talking... Ewan MacGregor bad, ya know?

I thought it was quite good.

The movie was ok. Bean was great as always, Bush was passable but her performance was rather generic for this type of film and not as intense as it should've been.

SPOILERS

What was the point of using rock music as Bean was offing cops left and right? They should be making you unnerved and repulsed by the actions of the villain, not playing them up like they're cool; and good God I DESPISE this pointless empowerment of the female lead bs trend in what should be intense, visceral horror films. STOP TURNING WB CHICKS INTO RAMBO!!!!!

It wasn't really bad, it just wasn't as good as it should be.

Bean alone makes it worth seeing.

Sean Bean looks to be the WORST thing about this movie in the trailers. He has no sense of creepyness, oomph, or zing that Rutger had.

After talking to a friend of mine that's seen the original (which I've seen, but not recently enough to remember it), I actually think a bit more of this film.

The ending works much better if the meaning to the story was that Ryder was symbolic of evil and his entire purpose was to get an innocent to become a murderer. That is a great concept but I didn't think this movie made it come across very clearly.

The original shows Ryder I believe using a lighter when you first see him, then you see Jim doing the same thing at the very end of the film, showing that Ryder basically turned him into what he was and in essence won by getting Jim to kill him.

That does explain why Ryder(in the remake)seemed very depressed and frustrated that she wouldn't kill him, and then at peace at the end when she did; but they shouldn't have put in the identity theft plot detail and taken out the ambiguously supernatural elements surrounding him, plus it would've been a much better final shot to show Sophia Bush standing in the rain with a cold look on her face like Ryder was when we first seen him rather than just her walking off with a gun.

After thinking about it, the rock music over the highway shootout with Ryder dispatching of the cops actually works in a way, because it puts you inside his head during it and shows how he views this as a fun game. I have mixed feelings about it because of what I said in my last post, but it does work better than I thought.

After further thought about it, it is a better movie than I initially thought, but there are alterations they made that weakened how effectively the message came across to the point where I didn't get it until it was pointed out to me using examples from the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"