The Hulk's origin

It's not really where Ang Lee's film left off since this is what has happened in many of the comics and most notably, the TV show. I think that what LL namely wanted to do was avoid going through the entire origin story again so what we'll probably get is bits and peices of the origin story while they are mostly focusing on the current storyline as well. As for the Abomination, if he returns in the sequel and becomes more mutated than previously, then they could make him more lizard and fish like but since LL doesn't have much love for that design, I doubt it'll actually happen.

So they are going with the Ultimate origin rather then the 616 one? Adding a bit of the chair which was the TV version.

but they really need to make clear that this is not a sequel and to do that is to some how spoon out a origin in a flashback.

why?
If people are already in theater seats to see the film, then it's a moot point as far as generating an audience.
Marvel has said that this is a new direction and the beginning of a whole new saga....now let's examine that statement. That could simply mean in style and approach. It doesn't mean that it has to contradict anything that came before. Sure, they want to not reference anything from the previous film. I get that. So the best approach is just move on with the story from that point forward. Marvel is walking such a tight rope with this project. Not only do they need to please traditional Hulk fans as well as TV show fans, but they need to distance themselves from the stigma the last film has, while not confusing people who...let's face facts..for the most part will be under the impression that this is a sequel when they walk into the theater.

People still think Batman Begins is a prequel despite the obvious contradictions.

I think it's cool Norton decided to rewrite the Hulk's origin. Make it closer to the comics by having Banner working for the military. I recall Peter Sanderson's essay on the film and how it weakens the Faustian themes of the Hulk by having him be a peaceful guy, when becoming the Hulk while creating a weapon for the military (in the comics, a gamma bomb) is more poetic justice.

why?
If people are already in theater seats to see the film, then it's a moot point as far as generating an audience.
Marvel has said that this is a new direction and the beginning of a whole new saga....now let's examine that statement. That could simply mean in style and approach. It doesn't mean that it has to contradict anything that came before. Sure, they want to not reference anything from the previous film. I get that. So the best approach is just move on with the story from that point forward. Marvel is walking such a tight rope with this project. Not only do they need to please traditional Hulk fans as well as TV show fans, but they need to distance themselves from the stigma the last film has, while not confusing people who...let's face facts..for the most part will be under the impression that this is a sequel when they walk into the theater.
they said that there are no ties to the previous film, so for most fans and people that see the movie they need to make clear that there really are no ties to the movie and in doing that a new origin needs to be put into play, but not make it the main subject of the movie.

People still think Batman Begins is a prequel despite the obvious contradictions.

I think it's cool Norton decided to rewrite the Hulk's origin. Make it closer to the comics by having Banner working for the military. I recall Peter Sanderson's essay on the film and how it weakens the Faustian themes of the Hulk by having him be a peaceful guy, when becoming the Hulk while creating a weapon for the military (in the comics, a gamma bomb) is more poetic justice.
i agree fully.

they said that there are no ties to the previous film, so for most fans and people that see the movie they need to make clear that there really are no ties to the movie and in doing that a new origin needs to be put into play, but not make it the main subject of the movie.

well then they need to make the trailer pretty much just about that because like I said, if people are already in the theater, seeing the movie, what does it matter anymore?

I agree with the poetic justice aspect lending something to the story...but as far as developing something for military use, wasn't that what was happening in the first film? The objective of the nanobodies that Bruce was developing was for cellular repair, and they mentioned for soldiers in the field. So in essence...they WERE working on a super soldier compound in the first film.

My only problem with it is that there seems to be a set formula for creating the Hulk or the Abomination (from what I have read so far) which takes away from their uniqueness and really makes me question why the government would not pour in funding into creating an army of these superhumans. People may mention the mind aspect but if they can develop such creatures then they should be able to develop a way to control them.

Um...aren't you guys referring to the Super Soldier Serum that created Captain America? I mean, in order to the formula to accelerate and stablize the serum's effect on his body, Steve Rogers has to be "bomb"arded with a combo of exotic wavelengths of radiation called "Vita-Rays". My theory on the origin: Banner was injected with Cap's Super Soldier Serum, but accidentaly used gamma radiation to stablize the serum instead of those "vita-rays". Thus when angered, um... you get the idea.

No, we're not referring to the SSS that created CM.

I know, but this would be a more plusible Hulk origin.

My only problem with it is that there seems to be a set formula for creating the Hulk or the Abomination (from what I have read so far) which takes away from their uniqueness and really makes me question why the government would not pour in funding into creating an army of these superhumans. People may mention the mind aspect but if they can develop such creatures then they should be able to develop a way to control them.

Hulk and Abomination are created differently.

Banner is working for the government on radiation which will help soldiers survive very lethal amounts of radiation in battle but time and funding was running out and Banner was so sure of his work that he tried the experiment on himself. He sits in the chair and was only meant to be exposed to a very small amount of gamma radiation but something goes wrong and he is hit with massive lethal amounts of gamma radiation creating the Hulk.

Abomination on the other hand is made with Super Solider Serum making Blonsky really strong and making his bones a little weird then the final injection of Banner's gamma blood makes him into the Abomination.

Both creatures are unique. The Army can't recreate Banner's chair and cannot get his blood to make a creature with Super Soldier Serum.

I agree with the poetic justice aspect lending something to the story...but as far as developing something for military use, wasn't that what was happening in the first film? The objective of the nanobodies that Bruce was developing was for cellular repair, and they mentioned for soldiers in the field. So in essence...they WERE working on a super soldier compound in the first film.

No, Banner and Ross were pacifists trying to perfect the human condition: Talbot suggests buying out the lab and using the regenerative abilities on soldiers, which Banner refused. In Lee's film, Bruce is wholly a victim.

The gamma bomb explosion is my favorite origin for many reasons but the key element in understanding the dichotomy of the Banner/Hulk relationship is that Banner tampering with powerful forces of nature, unleashes an uncontrollable superhuman power or a force of nature from within.

I agree entirely with anyone here who wants the bomb, or at least a decent equivalent to that basic theme: Whatever the specifics of the matter, Banner becomes the unwilling living embodiment of his own destructive creation.

Seriously, Stan Lee really nailed it first time, having Bruce condemned to live a dual existence as the Hulk, and this only happening because of an act of redeeming heroism too (saving Rick Jones) makes it so ironic and so powerfully simple too I really don't get why Ang Lee felt the need to change this into such a convoluted mess for his effort (the TV Show also made the mistake of making Bruce a complete victim too but they at least had the budget excuse to hide behind. Any film maker with 100 mill plus to play with does not).

And I know Peter David offered a ret-con to the origin in the books where Bruce designed the gamma bomb to destroy only in-organic matter, but afaik Marvel (like most fans I'd wager) have never taken to this idea, not least as it clearly contradicts statements regarding the lethality of the bomb used before that.

Question... is there a flashback scene in the script or no b/c this whole origin/loose sequel thing is confusing the hell out of me?

Question... is there a flashback scene in the script or no b/c this whole origin/loose sequel thing is confusing the hell out of me?

The hulks origin will be told in flashbacks placed throughout the film

not origin movie not a loose sequel. the movie is a new srand alone flik.

If it was a new strand the plot just seems too coincidental... five years in the jungle... hope I am not spoiling anything b/c Letterrier has said this and the trailer implies it... on the run... just like Banner left of in Ang Lee's Hulk... I mean it makes sense that the Hulk is hiding... but still... as long as flashback redo the origin CLEARLY then its all good for me... I need all ties severed with this and Lee's film.

Norton says he likes the origin to be spooled out throughout the movie. He says the best stories don't always have to start at the beginning and says he likes the fact that the audience will be in mystery in how Banner became the Hulk, how that the audience isn't ahead of the movie.

So we will learn more of Banner becoming Hulk in sequels.

Well a mad scientist getting exposed to Gamma bombs would have been sort of cliche so I'm glad they are doing away with that... best to save the origin for a sequel all together if that's the case... so people can have even more time between the Ang Lee origin and the new origin

I agree entirely with anyone here who wants the bomb, or at least a decent equivalent to that basic theme: Whatever the specifics of the matter, Banner becomes the unwilling living embodiment of his own destructive creation.

Seriously, Stan Lee really nailed it first time, having Bruce condemned to live a dual existence as the Hulk, and this only happening because of an act of redeeming heroism too (saving Rick Jones) makes it so ironic and so powerfully simple too I really don't get why Ang Lee felt the need to change this into such a convoluted mess for his effort (the TV Show also made the mistake of making Bruce a complete victim too but they at least had the budget excuse to hide behind. Any film maker with 100 mill plus to play with does not).

And I know Peter David offered a ret-con to the origin in the books where Bruce designed the gamma bomb to destroy only in-organic matter, but afaik Marvel (like most fans I'd wager) have never taken to this idea, not least as it clearly contradicts statements regarding the lethality of the bomb used before that.
I thought I read somewhere that there is an explosion and he is exposed to gamma radiation. LL mentioned bomb I'm sure he did. If he does that, I'm gonna blow a ****!

Personally, I think it plays better if he's a victim. In the comics, I felt he got what he deserved. It's hard to feel for him.

Ang made him a victim of his father. Yet he worked on a project that could've had similar applications for the military which showed that, subconsciously at least, he had some of the same beliefs.

Personally, I think it plays better if he's a victim. In the comics, I felt he got what he deserved. It's hard to feel for him.

Ang made him a victim of his father. Yet he worked on a project that could've had similar applications for the military which showed that, subconsciously at least, he had some of the same beliefs.
In the comics, his experiment was not a selfish act as he worked for the goverment. He was a victim of an envious wannabe scientist. Pushing that button to blow up that gamma bomb while Banner was saving someone isn't something he deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"