The Hulk's origin

The gamma bomb explosion is my favorite origin for many reasons but the key element in understanding the dichotomy of the Banner/Hulk relationship is that Banner tampering with powerful forces of nature, unleashes an uncontrollable superhuman power or a force of nature from within.

I agree entirely with anyone here who wants the bomb, or at least a decent equivalent to that basic theme: Whatever the specifics of the matter, Banner becomes the unwilling living embodiment of his own destructive creation.

100% correct. This is why the Gamma Bomb is key. It is where the Hulk came from.

Um...aren't you guys referring to the Super Soldier Serum that created Captain America? I mean, in order to the formula to accelerate and stablize the serum's effect on his body, Steve Rogers has to be "bomb"arded with a combo of exotic wavelengths of radiation called "Vita-Rays". My theory on the origin: Banner was injected with Cap's Super Soldier Serum, but accidentaly used gamma radiation to stablize the serum instead of those "vita-rays". Thus when angered, um... you get the idea.

Here's my expanded version of the TIH movie origin:

After hearing the success of the SSS that created Captain America (not referenced in the film), a defense contractor decided to create a variant of the serum that would be stablized through gamma radiation(Cap's serum was stablized through radiation called "vita-rays"). They picked an unwilling guinea pig (Banner) as a test subject. He believed that they are working on a project that helps soldiers survive leathal amounts of radiation. Then he realizes at the last minute that they're lying. He's strapped to a chair (akin to the TV version), injected with the SSS variant and was bombard with gamma radiation. The radition was so intense that Banner's muscles grow big, his shirt was ripped and his skin turns green. He was so angry that he destroyed the lab and killed most of the staff and the CEO of the unnamed defense contractor. Then he reverts into his normal Bruce Banner self, not remembering the destruction.

ABOMINATION' ORIGIN

After hearing about the Hulk's various appperances, General Ross sees him as a threat to the nation. Thus he sets up "PROJECT:ANTI-HULK"; a genetic-enginnering project designed to create a controlled super-soldier capable to rival and defeat the Hulk. Their latest test subject is a past-his-prime U.S. soldier named Emil Blonsky. He's strapped to a similar chair, was injected with the Hulk Serum (that SSS variant that can be stablized by gamma radiation, however it was accidentally laced with reptilian and fish DNA from past experiments). As he was bombard with gamma radiation more intense than Banner was exposed, his muscles grow big, his spine and bones began to stck out of his elbows and heels, and he developed reptilian scales and pointy ears.He then realizes his transformation is stable and promply turns on Ross, injuring him with his protruding spiky bones. Then he heads for NYC to find the Hulk, destroying everything in his path. Feeling that Blonsky would hurt his daughter Betty, he begrudgindly called Banner to stop Blonsky from destroying NYC and killing Betty Ross.

Oh, and Blonsky would be refered to as the "anti-Hulk" instead of "Abomination" and he would look like a cross between his comic-book self and TIH's self.

Oh, and Blonsky would be refered to as the "anti-Hulk" instead of "Abomination" and he would look like a cross between his comic-book self and TIH's self.

The Abomination in my take would be a cross between this:

Abomination.jpg

and this:

hulk2-4.jpg

Imagine how gross it would be!:woot:

Like others have said, to me, the interesting thing of the Hulk comic origin was always the irony. Working to develop a destructive weapon built to destroy people for the military, Banner inadvertently becomes his destructive weapon, and now must live life on the run from the very same military he was helping. In the tv show, I also liked some of those elements, namely the wife angle, because I felt like it made sense to make a man so driven, so consumed by that guilt and tragedy, that he would do something so spur of the moment as dousing himself in radiation. The Ultimates version, which this new movie is drawing from loosely, always felt a little...empty to me. I think it would be more tragic if he had another reason to test himself other than funding issues. Playing around with radiation in any form is pretty serious business, I would like to think he needed a strong reason to even attempt something like that...

personally, I'd like them to keep it a topic open for the debate where in a scene we some some soldiers in a jeep each arguing their own origin (bomb, chair, SSS, father's experiments etc) sort of like the whole thing with Jack's escape in Pirates 1. Than later Bruce sets the record straight saying it was a bomb.

I only have one question, where is rick jones? Why do they keep leaving him out?

I guess they keep forgetting poor Rick, like they keep forgetting that Hulk can speak.

Bruce risking his life saving Rick's, is essential to who and what Banner is. Also, the insight that Rick is able to give about the Hulk, being that he feels responsible for what happened to Bruce and sticks by his side, is just as essential. He learned and knows the Hulk just as well as the Hulk knows himself. It would also allow the story to show Hulk's loyal side, not just Banner's love interest coming through.

But then again, rumor has it, that he may be in the movie somewhere.

you think Shia lebauf could play Rick, in a sequel, then in an Avengers?

It should be somebody with kind of a James Deanish feel to them...

I would say James Franco, but he's already Harry Osborn.

...maybe Hayden Christiensen....but I think he's kind of a bad actor.

I only have one question, where is rick jones? Why do they keep leaving him out?

No idea.

Zak Penn's original script had Rick Jones along with some camp cameos of other heroes I think and a lot of story to Abomination like Blonsky coming to terms with what he has become.

Norton removed all the quirky cameos and Rick Jones and did his own version with a much more serious tone.

And to how Banner become Hulk and how Blonky became Abomination in this movie.

It is not exactly clear of the origin of Hulk because Norton has kept it all a big mystery and spooled bits of it out throughout the movie with flashbacks and dialogue. In sequels we will probably learn more of the origin but this is how I understand the origins.

Banner is working for the US Army, coming up with a way to help soliders stay safe in lethal conditions which have a lot of radiation. Time and funding was running out so Banner was so sure of his work he tested it out on himself (him sitting in that gamma chair) but something went wrong and you know the rest.

Blonsky on the other hand is injected with a serum that the US Army have tried to recreate from WWII but the serum is not exactly what it should be and starts making Blonsky's bones grow differently and at a rapid pace so his spine starts prodding out for example. Then when he injects himself with Banner's blood that contains gamma radiation which Samuel Sterns has sources of, turns Blonsky into Abomination.

Like others have said, to me, the interesting thing of the Hulk comic origin was always the irony. Working to develop a destructive weapon built to destroy people for the military, Banner inadvertently becomes his destructive weapon, and now must live life on the run from the very same military he was helping. In the tv show, I also liked some of those elements, namely the wife angle, because I felt like it made sense to make a man so driven, so consumed by that guilt and tragedy, that he would do something so spur of the moment as dousing himself in radiation.

Which for me is far more interesting than the last minute improvised hero that runs after the boy instead of sending some security group for him, so we can pity him the most when irradiated by Gamma.

I think it's because he's the Hulk's Robin.

if he's just saying it's not an origin movie and they aren't exploring the gamma bomb.

But heres hoping!

Exactly - what I think. It's like he's saying "look we're not going to go over the origin and all that stuff with the gamma bomb, we're moving ahead to what happens afterwards."

To the OP, I don't think that even if this is what he means that he is implying the gamma bomb is the origin. I just think he's using that phrase as a kind of short-hand for the origin.

My rambling thoughts end here. :-)

Here's my expanded version of the TIH movie origin:

After hearing the success of the SSS that created Captain America (not referenced in the film), a defense contractor decided to create a variant of the serum that would be stablized through gamma radiation(Cap's serum was stablized through radiation called "vita-rays"). They picked an unwilling guinea pig (Banner) as a test subject. He believed that they are working on a project that helps soldiers survive leathal amounts of radiation. Then he realizes at the last minute that they're lying. He's strapped to a chair (akin to the TV version), injected with the SSS variant and was bombard with gamma radiation. The radition was so intense that Banner's muscles grow big, his shirt was ripped and his skin turns green. He was so angry that he destroyed the lab and killed most of the staff and the CEO of the unnamed defense contractor. Then he reverts into his normal Bruce Banner self, not remembering the destruction.

ABOMINATION' ORIGIN

After hearing about the Hulk's various appperances, General Ross sees him as a threat to the nation. Thus he sets up "OPERATION:ANTI-HULK"; a genetic-enginnering project designed to create a controlled super-soldier capable to rival and defeat the Hulk. Their latest test subject is a past-his-prime U.S. soldier named Emil Blonsky. He's strapped to a similar chair, was injected with the Hulk Serum (that SSS variant that can be stablized by gamma radiation, however it was accidentally laced with reptilian and fish DNA from past experiments). As he was bombard with gamma radiation more intense than Banner was exposed, his muscles grow big,his skin turns a pale green, his spine and bones began to stck out of his elbows and heels, and he developed reptilian scales and pointy ears.He then realizes his transformation is stable and promply turns on Ross, injuring him with his protruding spiky bones. Then he heads for NYC to find the Hulk, destroying everything in his path. Feeling that Blonsky would hurt his daughter Betty, he begrudgindly called Banner to stop Blonsky from destroying NYC and killing Betty Ross.

So, what do you guys think of my version of the movie origin?

What? Norton's good and all, but I think my origin is pure gold.

Banner shouldn't be "an unwilling guinea pig," the Hulk is his curse for creating weapons of mass destruction.

I was discussing this with a friend a month or so ago, and we came to the conclusion that Rick Jones angle may come off as being gay (not so much him being saved, but him following Banner around). Think about it; two guys on the run together, spending time together,....by themselves..... together...... It's not that i care, but the implications are there.

I was discussing this with a friend a month or so ago, and we came to the conclusion that Rick Jones angle may come off as being gay (not so much him being saved, but him following Banner around). Think about it; two guys on the run together, spending time together,....by themselves..... together...... It's not that i care, but the implications are there.

Another thing is that I don't think it will be presented well onscreen because Hulk/Banner doesn't really need a side-kick. I don't think the serious tone they are going for will fit in with Rick Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"