Homecoming The Inevitable Video Game Thread

They said the spider, along with the entire re-design of the suit, has a narrative purpose in the game.
Well I'm open to it. I really just care about the gameplay and overall story. And the swinging mechanics! The white spider is the least of my worries.

They said the spider, along with the entire re-design of the suit, has a narrative purpose in the game.

They just said it had a purpose--they didn't say it was tied to the story.

It could be the same thing Miller used for the yellow circle around Batman's symbol: It creates a target on his chest for enemies to shoot at, but his chest is where his suit is most armored. Spidey could have the spider be bright and distracting to act as a target but it's also bulletproof.

I really really love the new suit, it has a very energetic video gamey design. Also, looking at that suit makes me feel that Insomniac are actually feeling inspired with this project and putting their heart & soul in it

They just said it had a purpose--they didn't say it was tied to the story.

It could be the same thing Miller used for the yellow circle around Batman's symbol: It creates a target on his chest for enemies to shoot at, but his chest is where his suit is most armored. Spidey could have the spider be bright and distracting to act as a target but it's also bulletproof.

Really? I thought the purpose was that it was tied to the story, as evident from Mr. Negative to different images where the spider seems larger/wider.

Really? I thought the purpose was that it was tied to the story, as evident from Mr. Negative to different images where the spider seems larger/wider.

Unless I missed a quote somewhere, the ties to Mr. Negative was all speculation.

But I am curious to this different size in the spider thing. Can you give an example?

I really just hope this game is good. I don't think we've had a good Spider-Man game since SM2 and USM on the Playstation 2. Web of Shadows is okay, but too repetitive.

The trailer/gameplay footage of SMPS4 looks very similar to the TASM games, but I think this will be an improvement.

The suit has grown on me quite a bit after a while. It feels fresh but still Spidey. It looks like it's got a bit of a video-gamey tactical sensibility to it, if that makes sense.

Mr. Negative seems very likely for a villain in the game, so if the white spider emblem has a narrative purpose, I wonder if the white emblem might change to black as a result of Negative's corruption.
Mostly because I'm not sure if going photo-negative with the whole suit would really look good.

I doubt the white symbol has anything to do with Mr. Negative (thought him being in the game is pretty certain given his henchman are there) because I don't think they'd be dumb enough to give us the morality play thing with Spider-Man in a game after Web of Shadows. Spidey's a hero thru and thru and that's the experience you'd hope for playing a Spider-Man game. Not some dumb plot excuse to have Spidey go dark and let players decide "how edgy do I wanna be."

I literally know nothing about Mister Negative, so I can't say I have a lot of hype for the game in that sense. Although I'm happy that there will be something fresh and new for Spider-Man.

I doubt the white symbol has anything to do with Mr. Negative (thought him being in the game is pretty certain given his henchman are there) because I don't think they'd be dumb enough to give us the morality play thing with Spider-Man in a game after Web of Shadows. Spidey's a hero thru and thru and that's the experience you'd hope for playing a Spider-Man game. Not some dumb plot excuse to have Spidey go dark and let players decide "how edgy do I wanna be."
I wasn't talking in terms of having a moral choice type of thing.

Corrupting things is Mr. Negative's main power, and he's corrupted Spidey before. Why wouldn't they go that route?

[YT]AJNayAQG-r4[/YT]
Anyway! Spidey's in this promotional video. It's not actually part of the game or anything, and there's nothing that exciting here, but figured I'd post it.

I wasn't talking in terms of having a moral choice type of thing.

Corrupting things is Mr. Negative's main power, and he's corrupted Spidey before. Why wouldn't they go that route?

Oh yeah, I know- I was bringing it up because it just reminded me of Web of Shadows. Cause that game had the symbiote and players could let it corrupt him by making bad choices and just doing things that Spider-Man wouldn't do (because it was a pretty badly written game imo).

I just don't see it as likely that they'd make that be a central component to the storyline in this game. What does playing as a 'corrupted' Spider-Man serve you? I mean I could see it happening more as a freaky sequence along the lines of the Scarecrow stuff in Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Oh yeah, I know- I was bringing it up because it just reminded me of Web of Shadows. Cause that game had the symbiote and players could let it corrupt him by making bad choices and just doing things that Spider-Man wouldn't do (because it was a pretty badly written game imo).

I just don't see it as likely that they'd make that be a central component to the storyline in this game. What does playing as a 'corrupted' Spider-Man serve you? I mean I could see it happening more as a freaky sequence along the lines of the Scarecrow stuff in Batman: Arkham Asylum.
I couldn't say. It could just be a story thing, or maybe there's a mission or two where Spidey finds himself doing Negative's dirty work and has to stop himself before he does something really bad.

I didn't totally care for how it was done in WoS either. Moral choice in video games, at least for the narrative, needs some work. I can't think of a whole lot of games that don't end up boiling down into "press A to be Jesus, press B to be Hitler." I just think if the threat of Mr. Negative corrupting Spider-Man isn't there, it's missing out on pretty much the main gimmick of the character.

Unless I missed a quote somewhere, the ties to Mr. Negative was all speculation.

But I am curious to this different size in the spider thing. Can you give an example?

The back spider. In some shots of the trailer/images, it's stationed on his back. In other shots, its legs seem to be on the red around the shoulders/neck.

Spider-Man-PS4.jpg

VSQBvBX6TURhVPYK2LutmZ.jpg

Sony-PS4-Spider-Man-Game-Insomniac-Games.jpg

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me a bit but the placement just seems different. :oldrazz:

I really just hope this game is good. I don't think we've had a good Spider-Man game since SM2 and USM on the Playstation 2. Web of Shadows is okay, but too repetitive.

The trailer/gameplay footage of SMPS4 looks very similar to the TASM games, but I think this will be an improvement.

We can rest easy,Insomniac is one of the best developers in the world. Big budget,long development cycle,super-talented studio. It's all here.

Spider-Man 3 is good.
A lot of complaints it received are either things common with every other game, or reaching out for needless complaints. :cmad:

Not to say there are no legit points of criticism, the design of a number of faces and animation of some arms.

I don't doubt it will be an improvement, but I'm glad someone else felt the resemblance.

Spider-Man 3 is good.
A lot of complaints it received are either things common with every other game, or reaching out for needless complaints. :cmad:

Not to say there are no legit points of criticism, the design of a number of faces and animation of some arms.

Unfortunately I don't remember the Spider-Man 3 game all that well. I think my first time playing it was on PS2 and I just came back from seeing the movie. My disappointment for the movie was really distracting so it was hard for me to enjoy the game. It was also a step down from the Spider-Man 2 game, including the swinging mechanics, so I was really bothered by that.

Some years later I purchased the Spider-Man 3 game for PS3 and started to get into it, but I don't recall finishing the game. I think I was stuck on the final battle with Venom and that really irritated me. Maybe I will go back and play it again, considering it was definitely better than most of the recent games.

I don't doubt it will be an improvement, but I'm glad someone else felt the resemblance.

Most of Spider-Man's attacks and web moves feel very reminiscent of both TASM games. I think a lot of people have complained about this as well online so we're not the only ones.

My only hope is that Insomniac will give us something fun and creative.

Unfortunately I don't remember the Spider-Man 3 game all that well. I think my first time playing it was on PS2 and I just came back from seeing the movie. My disappointment for the movie was really distracting so it was hard for me to enjoy the game. It was also a step down from the Spider-Man 2 game, including the swinging mechanics, so I was really bothered by that.
I played it straight after USM, and I can safely say I wasn't incredibly disappointed, I haven't played Spider-Man 2 the good game at the time, so I thankfully wasn't disappointed from moving from that to gradual downgrades.

Some years later I purchased the Spider-Man 3 game for PS3 and started to get into it, but I don't recall finishing the game. I think I was stuck on the final battle with Venom and that really irritated me. Maybe I will go back and play it again, considering it was definitely better than most of the recent games.
Not a negative opinion, that's at least kind of :awesome:

Most of Spider-Man's attacks and web moves feel very reminiscent of both TASM games. I think a lot of people have complained about this as well online so we're not the only ones.

My only hope is that Insomniac will give us something fun and creative.
It wasn't a complaint from me, as I like those two games quite a bit, and think they present a number of good ideas.
I just hope they don't make him quip during fights, especially with the habit of video games recycling fighting dialogue. Web of Shadows is the easiest when it comes to lines of dialogue repetition during combat.
Sam Reigal is honestly the worst Spidey voice actor I've heard when it comes to quips, he's the only one I don't like.

The back spider. In some shots of the trailer/images, it's stationed on his back. In other shots, its legs seem to be on the red around the shoulders/neck.

Spider-Man-PS4.jpg

VSQBvBX6TURhVPYK2LutmZ.jpg

Sony-PS4-Spider-Man-Game-Insomniac-Games.jpg

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me a bit but the placement just seems different. :oldrazz:

Its changed a bit, but I don't think it means anything.

It's hard to tell in the first pic because Spider-Man is at a distance. And each shot shows him from a different angle with different lighting, and you'd be surprised how bad the human eye is at seeing.

I care about the costume a lot more in live action. If this gameplay is really good I won't care about the boots or even the white spider.

I care about the costume a lot more in live action. If this gameplay is really good I won't care about the boots or even the white spider.

Agreed. The costume to me looks padded but all I care about is the game play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"