"The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is unfair , leto is a oscar winning actor, he need a better script, so he can deliver
This

I think has the potential to be an amazing Joker.
He just needs better writing and direction.

He failed so spectacularly on stage I’m baffled at how willing some fans are to just give him another shot. Yes, the script and direction sucked, but a lot of people’s distaste is targeted on Leto himself too.

What’s the threshold for the retries here? Say the next time Leto appears he’s only moderately better, but people still hate this Joker. What then? Just keep going until the character is driven to the ground?

The DCEU is becoming the platform for do-overs. These properties and characters should be treated as once-in-a-lifetime opportunities because they are. There are dozens of replacements readily at the door waiting to get their shot. Mediocrity and below-par outputs should not be rewarded with second, third, and fourth chances. This ain’t a charity, folks.

Cameron's Joker just makes me cringe. Leto's too so I guess they're even, but Leto has SOME good moments.

Can you perhaps list some of them

I fail to recall any. Unless by ‘good’ you actually mean ‘terrible’ which in that case, yes, some moments were ‘good’

He failed so spectacularly on stage I’m baffled at how willing some fans are to just give him another shot. Yes, the script and direction sucked, but a lot of people’s distaste is targeted on Leto himself too.

What’s the threshold for the retries here? Say the next time Leto appears he’s only moderately better, but people still hate this Joker. What then? Just keep going until the character is driven to the ground?

The DCEU is becoming the platform for do-overs. These properties and characters should be treated as once-in-a-lifetime opportunities because they are. There are dozens of replacements readily at the door waiting to get their shot. Mediocrity and below-par outputs should not be rewarded with second, third, and fourth chances. This ain’t a charity, folks.

Hear hear :up:

Can you perhaps list some of them

I fail to recall any. Unless by ‘good’ you actually mean ‘terrible’ which in that case, yes, some moments were ‘good’

Cameron, on the other hand, had the spectacular graveyard reveal in season 4 episode 20 and is doing a great, more subtle/reserved take on Joker that hasn't really been done in live action till now, the closest beforehand probably being Heath

There's so many retcons needed for me at this point that they might as well just wipe the slate completely clean with a new actor.

"He needs better direction."
"He needs a better script."
"He needs a better design."

It just sounds like we need a new Joker, frankly. Hell, replace the DCEU's current "True Romance" Joker with a more refined characterization and aesthetic that's played by someone like Robert Pattinson or Michael Pitt and I wouldnt even bat an eye.

Last edited:
There's so many retcons needed for me at this point that they might as well just wipe the slate completely clean with a new actor.

"He needs better direction."
"He needs a better script."
"He needs a better design."

It just sounds like we need a new Joker, frankly. Hell, replace the DCEU's current "True Romance" Joker with a more refined characterization and aesthetic that's played by someone like Robert Pattinson or Michael Pitt and I wouldnt even bat an eye.
He needs better acting too.

No. If he gets a second chance and the results are no better, they can go right ahead and fire him.

I don’t particularly like Leto’s Joker, but I don’t dislike him either. He wasn’t in SS long enough and wasn’t allowed to do enough to make much of an impression. There’s more than enough wiggle room to elevate this interpretation of the character to the level of his predecessors.

That said: I think giving him his own movie is an unnecessarily risky move.

I meant on me. :oldrazz:

I can understand why most don’t like him, but again, I really do think that people exaggerate how bad he really was. And hey, if they do end up replacing him, I won’t shed a single tear.

Lol Cameron Monaghan’s Joker makes people cringe but Leto’s doesn’t? Alright...

Monaghan is the clear number 3 in terms of modern Jokers.

1. Ledger
2. Nicholson
3. Monaghan

4. Leto

Lol Cameron Monaghan’s Joker makes people cringe but Leto’s doesn’t? Alright...

Monaghan is the clear number 3 in terms of modern Jokers.

1. Ledger
2. Nicholson
3. Monaghan

4. Leto

Both Jokers make me cringe, but I feel that there's more potential in Leto.

Monaghan's Joker is a steaming pile of **** because he's part of a show that is exactly that. Plus he's just not the right person for the role. He's not intimidating at all and he comes off as very try-hard.

Leto's Joker didn't work because the writing was ****, Ayer made some questionable decisions regarding his appearance and Leto made some questionable decisions regarding his performance. I think with the right writing behind him (most of Joker's lines in SS are god awful) and a different approach to the character Leto can be good.

[YT]REsqs84lBNE[/YT]

This was the only Leto scene I liked in Suicide Squad.

I liked him in the helicopter scene, up until the badly ADR'd stuff but the crew is to blame for that.

Both Jokers make me cringe, but I feel that there's more potential in Leto.

Monaghan's Joker is a steaming pile of **** because he's part of a show that is exactly that. Plus he's just not the right person for the role. He's not intimidating at all and he comes off as very try-hard.

Leto's Joker didn't work because the writing was ****, Ayer made some questionable decisions regarding his appearance and Leto made some questionable decisions regarding his performance. I think with the right writing behind him (most of Joker's lines in SS are god awful) and a different approach to the character Leto can be good.

Now, when you say Cameron's Joker is cringy, do you mean his performance as Jerome or Jeremiah? Because if you haven't seen his portrayal of Jeremiah, I'd say it's worth giving a shot.

Leto's Joker wished he was as good as this.

Leto's Joker wished he was as good as this.

It is astounding that after Nicholson, Hamill and Ledger, we live in the time of two truly awful Jokers. Neither can act, both play the Joker as teen edgelords.

Also, the worst thing in that clip isn't even the Joker. Good lord, Bruce. :lmao:

It's also astounding people forget Cesar Romero when they bring up the Joker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"