The Kennedy Thread

Makes me wonder if a poltician's personal life has any bearing on how he/she governs. If it should even matter to any of us, whatsoever.

Kinda on the fence about that.

Clean living ftw.

Good genes, help too.

I keep thinking about this past Presidential camapign...and at the outset I thought McCain's age would become apparent. But, the mother****er is one tough dude. He looks like he could have another couple of decades in him. Isn't his mother like, 100 or something, too?

My understanding of the Kennedy family, is that they suffer from bad health.

There isn't much difference between the two circumstances. There actions caused the death of others and they left the scene of the crime while leaving the victims to die. The only difference is that one is a Kennedy.

...they're radically different, I think...

the lady ran a dude over.

Caroline Kennedy is a walking moron. She did it to herself.

Like Palin, I guess.

What'd she do that was moronic?

The only thing, valid or otherwise, that I ever saw pegged on her was her overuse of the word "what".

Caroline Kennedy is far more intelligent than Sarah Palin. That being said, I don't think Caroline was treated very fairly. Sarah Palin largely brought her situation onto herself.

New York ****ing destroyed her. Governor Patterson was a dick about it all, as well.

Makes me wonder if a poltician's personal life has any bearing on how he/she governs. If it should even matter to any of us, whatsoever.

Do I think he got off as far as "Chappaquiddick incident" ? Yes, totally....and more so after I read up on it once again over the past few days....do I believe it was an accident, and he panicked and ran....YES...

BUT,

do I also think he was an amazing Senator for the people of Massachusetts? DEFINITELY.....

So what I believe is this........he learned from that incident......and learned well.

If only some could learn from the major mistakes in their lives, and turn their lives around as he did.....

But, the bottomline for me is this......does his career as Senator, even come close to equaling the life of that young woman? No....but I also will not totally discount his career as Senator because of it...

President Carter was as good and decent a man as has ever won the Presidency, he is intelligent and thoughtful, and I do feel he always had the country's best interests at heart. He was also a total failure.

You can be a great man and a bad leader. Personal character makes little difference. Clinton was a complete SOB but a heck of a good President.

New York ****ing destroyed her. Governor Patterson was a dick about it all, as well.
Caroline was incredibly rude to Patterson during the selection process with her notions that she was entitled to the Senate seat just because she was a Kennedy. Her sense of entitlement and ignoring protocol killed her. And that's why Patterson did not take her seriously.

I would also say that replacing the Upstate New York Senator with someone from New York City also influenced Patterson's decision.

That area is absolutely gorgeous......

I would have given anything to have gotten a teaching job in that area.....but teachers seem to grow up there, get a job, and teach till they die....:csad:

Now that I think about it.....yeah pretty much.

Do I think he got off as far as "Chappaquiddick incident" ? Yes, totally....and more so after I read up on it once again over the past few days....do I believe it was an accident, and he panicked and ran....YES...

BUT,

do I also think he was an amazing Senator for the people of Massachusetts? DEFINITELY.....

So what I believe is this........he learned from that incident......and learned well.

If only some could learn from the major mistakes in their lives, and turn their lives around as he did.....

But, the bottomline for me is this......does his career as Senator, even come close to equaling the life of that young woman? No....but I also will not totally discount his career as Senator because of it...

I think that's all anyone can ask for.

Well said.

President Carter was as good and decent a man as has ever won the Presidency, he is intelligent and thoughtful, and I do feel he always had the country's best interests at heart. He was also a total failure.

You can be a great man and a bad leader. Personal character makes little difference. Clinton was a complete SOB but a heck of a good President.

Exactly.

Sometimes, I think we as a people put way too much stock and focus on things that don't ultimately matter...and we can easily end up with someone who will suck.

Caroline was incredibly rude to Patterson during the selection process with her notions that she was entitled to the Senate seat just because she was a Kennedy. Her sense of entitlement and ignoring protocol killed her. And that's why Patterson did not take her seriously.

I would also say that replacing the Upstate New York Senator with someone from New York City also influenced Patterson's decision

Nobody seemed happy with the choice. I remember the NRA 100% approval rating being an issue with people.

I agree. Not like the guy is a monster or anything, he sure learned from that incident.

[YT]CaiTipTtbak[/YT]

Well, I don't think he was treated in a normal fashion in that incident....but, that is the decision that the authorities made...(a wrong decision, IMO) but their decision....so I keep that in mind, but applaud him for his work in the Senate.

I know of a young doctor, who is married to my nieces, cousin. He is an absolute awesome young doctor, his wife is a lawyer. She was out of town, and he went out with a couple of friends after a double shift and had 2 beers.....on his way home there was some new (as of that night) construction. Because he was so tired, and the 2 beers (he was below the legal limit) he accidentally turned down a one way road (that was usually 2 way). He hit a woman head on and she died. He is going to trial, and very well could go to prison for this very unfortunate accident.

So, with that in mind, all I can say is Edward Kennedy was VERY LUCKY that he was a Kennedy, THAT IS HOW he got away with the accident not going to trial. The young doctor I spoke of, could have fled the scene, but he chose to stay and try and help the woman. He couldn't.....unfortunately for him, his last name is not Kennedy, therefore he will have to face the consequences, and his life long dream of being a doctor is probably gone for good.

Kennedy did alot of good, but he is very lucky that he had the Kennedy name......and people should not forget that.

Former Representative Joe Kennedy has decided not to run for Ted Kennedy's Senate seat.

This'll be, what...the first time in about 60 years that a Kennedy hasn't been a Senator in Mass., right?

Carter was far from a complete failure as many mark him out to be. A few outstanding elements (Iran etc) though sank him.

He ran as an outsider. We got an OUTSIDER. But at the time... we needed an Insider.

Being a good man is not good enough though, one has to be able to woo the populace which Carter, did fail miserably at, despite being an above average president.

Nixon was great at getting the peoples support, despite his character. If Watergate hadnt happened, he would have been remembered as a great president despite his character.

Nixon and Ford too tried to have Carter killed in before the 1976 election.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"