Is the U.S. a largely xenophobic nation?

^LOL, and the veil has been lifted.

well it's true... the threat of nuclear war is a real and great threat but people and politicians don't talk about it as much as they did in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's because the Cold War is over!

Oh I have. And your points are correct... Ireland, regions of the Middle East and Spain are all much more xenophobic than the U.S. In fact, Europe as a whole is much more so, but... American attitudes are generally quite isolated even more than any other European country could ever hope to be. We view our politics much differently than Europeans as we are much more policy concious and are a nation obsessed with religion, which is nothing like Europe as most European nations if they subscribe to religion at all, do so on a much smaller scale!
Then I think you're not applying the proper definition of xenophobia. Xenophobia is more along the lines of the equivalent of racism towards foreigners. In order for the United States to be a xenophobic nation, you have to look more at it's culture, not the policy of the United States Federal government.

Looking at the culture of the United States, most of the anger towards foreigners in the United States is directed more towards those who enter the country illegally. They're the ones who drive down labor wages and make the labor market far more competitive due to their unfair advantages. As for foreigners who enter legally and work hard for the benefits of citizenship, they're pretty well tolerated. And American culture has embraced them overall. We have absorbed aspects like Cinco de Mayo, ethnic neighborhoods like Chinatown, Little Italy, music, etc. into American culture. We overall embrace other religions, particularly Judaism. And hell, the Statue of Liberty has the New Colossus poem engraved on it's pedestal. Now let's compare this to say France, which pretty much expects you to completely drop your ethnic identity in public society.

Looking at the policy of the United States government towards foreigners, again, not really xenophobic. Foreigners who enter legally are entitled to the same protections of the law as citizens and those who become citizens are entitled to the same benefits that you and I get. Now compare that to say Japan, in which anyone who isn't ethnically Japanese, even though they live in Japan, were born in Japan, and can speak only Japanese can't even hold public office. And this law was affirmed by their legal system.

Or hell, look at the politics of the United States. The United States would never have parties like the Freedom Parties of Austria and the Netherlands or Greece's Golden Dawn or France's National Front ever become an influence in the political sphere.

Now you can criticize the realist foreign policy of the United States. But realism is based more on the grounds of "might makes right" and the general best interests of the nation as opposed to xenophobia.

Then I think you're not applying the proper definition of xenophobia. Xenophobia is more along the lines of the equivalent of racism towards foreigners. In order for the United States to be a xenophobic nation, you have to look more at it's culture, not the policy of the United States Federal government.

Looking at the culture of the United States, most of the anger towards foreigners in the United States is directed more towards those who enter the country illegally. They're the ones who drive down labor wages and make the labor market far more competitive due to their unfair advantages. As for foreigners who enter legally and work hard for the benefits of citizenship, they're pretty well tolerated. And American culture has embraced them overall. We have absorbed aspects like Cinco de Mayo, ethnic neighborhoods like Chinatown, Little Italy, music, etc. into American culture. We overall embrace other religions, particularly Judaism. And hell, the Statue of Liberty has the New Colossus poem engraved on it's pedestal. Now let's compare this to say France, which pretty much expects you to completely drop your ethnic identity in public society.

Looking at the policy of the United States government towards foreigners, again, not really xenophobic. Foreigners who enter legally are entitled to the same protections of the law as citizens and those who become citizens are entitled to the same benefits that you and I get. Now compare that to say Japan, in which anyone who isn't ethnically Japanese, even though they live in Japan, were born in Japan, and can speak only Japanese can't even hold public office. And this law was affirmed by their legal system.

Or hell, look at the politics of the United States. The United States would never have parties like the Freedom Parties of Austria and the Netherlands or Greece's Golden Dawn or France's National Front ever become an influence in the political sphere.

Now you can criticize the realist foreign policy of the United States. But realism is based more on the grounds of "might makes right" and the general best interests of the nation as opposed to xenophobia.

Well said.

There are elements in the Republican party that are as fringe as some of those movements. How many anti-Sharia laws have they tried to pass now?

The best example of xenophobia in America is birtherism. Though that's also partially racism.

But overall, the United States government (not counting certain Republican congresspeople) has become fairly egalitarian. Though the creeping use of the word "homeland" is kind of unsettling.

There are elements in the Republican party that are as fringe as some of those movements. How many anti-Sharia laws have they tried to pass now?
There are certainly such elements within the GOP, but they aren't mainstream and really have no effect on policy.

The best example of xenophobia in America is birtherism. Though that's also partially racism.
It really isn't racism. Calling it racism is just the Democrats trying to portray it that way because most people are too simple minded to understand xenophobia and racism is a far more uglier word. It's just pure xenophobia and there would still be birtherism even if Obama were born in a white nation like the UK or France. They're afraid of where Obama's loyalties lie because of his father's foreign citizenship and a lot of them are dumb enough to think that he wasn't born in the United States. What we're seeing is a modern day example of people being afraid of JFK's Catholicism because they were afraid that he would be more loyal to the Pope.

Last edited:
It really isn't racism. Calling it racism is just the Democrats trying to portray it that way because most people are too simple minded to understand xenophobia and racism is a far more uglier word. It's just pure xenophobia and there would still be birtherism even if Obama were born in a white nation like the UK or France. They're afraid of where Obama's loyalties lie because of his father's foreign citizenship and a lot of them are dumb enough to think that he wasn't born in the United States. What we're seeing is a modern day example of people being afraid of JFK's Catholicism because they were afraid that he would be more loyal to the Pope.

I think for a few it's racism, for a few more it's as you put it xenophobia but for most it's because he is a democrat and this is the ongoing story why he doesn't deserve to be in office and they'll go with it for the hell of it.

Xenophobia is a far bigger issue in Europe than it is the United States.

Right! I know what xenophobia is. This thread wasn't started as an examination of government. It was started as an examination of people of the U.S., citizens... but the government has crept in here for arguments about how xenophobia affects and infects our government.

I'd say the citizenry is more xenophobic than the government, at least the institutions.

This is fairly obscure history to most, but the US (i.e. the state) used to have an extremely racist immigration system. It didn't really get attention until after World War II.

And then there's America's (now) little known eugenics movement (backed by the government) which inspired the Nazis, which was all about racial purity.

They won't teach you that in school.

I'd say the citizenry is more xenophobic than the government, at least the institutions.

This is fairly obscure history to most, but the US (i.e. the state) used to have an extremely racist immigration system. It didn't really get attention until after World War II.

And then there's America's (now) little known eugenics movement (backed by the government) which inspired the Nazis, which was all about racial purity.

They won't teach you that in school.

it's funny that you mention that as before WW2, the U.S. government largely supported Hitler (yes the U.S. supported the mad god, Darkseid LOL) and considered him closely aligned with the moderate Republicans of the day. Hitler was seen as a moderate by FDR and commended on several occasions!

To be fair, it's not hard to find quotes of people who approved of Hitler before all the atrocities came out. Churchill, FDR, even Stalin (in private).

In fact, Hitler was one of the most popular people on the planet circa 1938. And then he invaded Poland...

The Germans' atrocities were so ****ing bad it actually made America and rest of the Western world introspect, and change some of their more racist laws. Eugenics became a dirty word.

Well except the South of course.

There are certainly such elements within the GOP, but they aren't mainstream and really have no effect on policy.

Wow don't bring the UK into that cluster****. People in the UK would care more are about Obama's class background than nationality of his parents if he was British.

I'm more amazed Britain had a ethnically Jewish and Canadian Prime Minster than a female Prime Minster.

Xenophobia is a far bigger issue in Europe than it is the United States.

To be fair, Europe is a lot closer to the areas of the world where civil war seems to be in excess (ie, the Middle East and Northern Africa). When you're that close to certain groups of people who are fighting each other and in the most brutal of ways, it's only natural that you wouldn't want that sort of stuff spilling into your own country.

Right, blame the foreigners. Just 20 yrs ago, European Serbs were massacring whole ethnic groups. 60 years ago, European countries were committing Genocide.

Right, blame the foreigners. Just 20 yrs ago, European Serbs were massacring whole ethnic groups. 60 years ago, European countries were committing Genocide.

Calm down, man I was talking about the attitudes recently.

Religion had more to do with those atrocities. There are too many different types of people living in a smaller area, in close proximity to one another for there not to be problems. "Ethnic cleansing" was religious cleansing.

America accepts 50% of all immigrants in the world every year......ya that sure sounds like xenophobic alright.

Most xenophobic countries are probably Saudi Arabia and Iran.

America accepts 50% of all immigrants in the world every year......ya that sure sounds like xenophobic alright.

Most xenophobic countries are probably Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Are you kidding? America may "accept" 50% of all immigrants in the world every year, but that doesn't mean they really accept them. And it has nothing to do with race. Americans are more worried about illegals taking jobs or cheating the system in some way. Most people, regardless of race, are very passionate or in favor of heavy immigration reform. Do a little experiment and stop any non-Latino you see on the street and ask them about America's immigration policy and reform. The ones who don't get wicked pissed at you for approaching them about politics will generally be in favor of very strict immigration laws (regardless of political party).

but you are right about the Middle East. How could they not be xenophobic? America or countries around them constantly invading, threatening or raping their resources.

Last edited:
Right, cause it's not like Middle Eastern countries have a history of invading / warring with other people.

Basically, as long as you're not a Western country xenophobia is a-okay.

Even in developed countries like Japan and South Korea, there's a fair amount of xenophobia.

LOL, America is probably the least xenophobic country in the world.

America literally allows immigrants to do whatever they want. It is also one of the few countries that low skilled immigrants can live without speaking the native language.

If America was xenophobic, then it would've been like Saudi Arabia, where anything other than Islam is prohibited.

Also, you have to remember that you only hear about xenophobia in advanced nations, since that's where people immigrate to and complain about xenophobia.

Also, America is the most multicultural country in the world. So how can America possibly be xenophobic? It America indeed was xenophobic, then America would've closed its immigration policy completely, just like Japan.

Wow don't bring the UK into that cluster****. People in the UK would care more are about Obama's class background than nationality of his parents if he was British.

I'm more amazed Britain had a ethnically Jewish and Canadian Prime Minster than a female Prime Minster.

lol

America literally allows immigrants to do whatever they want. It is also one of the few countries that low skilled immigrants can live without speaking the native language.

If America was xenophobic, then it would've been like Saudi Arabia, where anything other than Islam is prohibited.

Also, you have to remember that you only hear about xenophobia in advanced nations, since that's where people immigrate to and complain about xenophobia.

Also, America is the most multicultural country in the world. So how can America possibly be xenophobic? It America indeed was xenophobic, then America would've closed its immigration policy completely, just like Japan.
You should get out more

Not according to this map

http://geocurrents.info/geonotes/a-...at-are-most-and-least-welcoming-to-foreigners

According to the data, the top ten most welcoming countries for foreigners are, in order: Iceland, New Zealand, Morocco, Macedonia, Austria, Senegal, Portugal, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ireland, and Burkina Faso. Canada places twelfth, while the United States is placed in the “lukewarm” category.

2aes6du.jpg

I seriously question any report that ranks Japan higher than the United States and ranks Canada only 12th.

I also doubt about Japan, though i don't find it strange that my country is there

I seriously question any report that ranks Japan higher than the United States

In some way sure, but when i think of Japan, I think of washed up bands going their 5 years after they are relevant and selling out Budokan(ie the kiddies love everything foreign there) :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"