Is the U.S. a largely xenophobic nation?

r
Not according to this map

http://geocurrents.info/geonotes/a-...at-are-most-and-least-welcoming-to-foreigners

2aes6du.jpg

Your data is only according to tourism and visitors, not permanent immigrants.

r

I am guessing some of those countries would be more open to immigrants then the US(New Zealand and Canada instantly come to mind) so this idea that the US is #1 is typical "we are #1 so we don't need to change in anyway" kind of thinking

I'm only telling the truth.

Please tell me some other countries that are more tolerable to immigrants than USA.

A lot of European countries are. The immigrants get welfare and can basically live off the system until they find jobs. Just because the US "allows" immigrants in, doesn't mean they tolerate them. Hell, the States has a problem with their own citizens (minorities), why would they be more tolerant of people who are not even American?

r

Even when it comes to visitors, Canada ranking #12 and the United States ranking lower than Japan is incredibly questionable.

In some way sure, but when i think of Japan, I think of washed up bands going their 5 years after they are relevant and selling out Budokan(ie the kiddies love everything foreign there) :p
Japan has a history of not wanting foreigners in their country. There are businesses in Japan that will not serve foreigners. And hell, it's very tough for Western companies to sell their products from cars to electronics and whatnot.

What I do find interesting about the Japanese is that, unlike say, historically xenophobic countries like America and Australia, Japan has always been fairly isolated (once the most isolated country in the world) and homogenized.

Compare that to say Bhutan which is also isolated, isn't nearly as reputedly xenophobic.

Maybe it's part of how island countries are always kind of different.

Though I've been told that the Japanese don't really mind foreigners, as long as they are clearly tourists or temporary visitors (i.e. as long as it's clear they're not staying).

By comparison in America, they ask you when you're going to become an American.

Well, countries are naturally xenophobic because they are afraid that they would lose their own cultures to the invaders' cultures. It's same for Japan or China. That's why they fought off to keep these invaders in their countries from diluting their cultures with others. That's how Japanese and Chinese people preserve their cultures for thousand years.

Though if history has taught us anything it's that cultural exchanges can improve a culture. Look at what the Arabs brought to Europe. Granted... there was some unpleasantness...

Okay, perhaps Chinese cuisine coming to America is a better example.

Chinese cuisine coming to America improves America? I think not. It's not a good example. The better example will be that Europeans coming to America transformed Americas tremendously.

Chinese cuisine coming to America improves America? I think not. It's not a good example. The better example will be that Europeans coming to America transformed Americas tremendously.

If you ignore the countless genocides, centuries of slavery and the cultural annihilation of three of the greatest civilizations in human history....

I'm aware of the unfortunate events in Americas and how is something has to do with Chinese cuisine coming to America?

Chinese cuisine coming to European-dominated America was an example of a positive cultural exchange.

Oh yeah, got it. Cultural exchanges has positive or detrimental effects on countries where they were conquered such as Americas or some of Asian countries like Vietnam or the Philippines.

I'm only telling the truth.

Please tell me some other countries that are more tolerable to immigrants than USA.
The top 10 pretty much sums it up

Iceland, New Zealand, Morocco, Macedonia, Austria, Senegal, Portugal, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ireland, and Burkina Faso.

I'd say there are loads of xenophobic people in this country. Here's a perfect example.

North Carolina Passes Law Banning Islamic Law

Isn't this is already covered in the 1st Amendment? The whole thing about not establishing laws respecting the establishment of any religion.

America is vast and incredibly diverse. To describe the people in any sort of general way seems like a self-defeating exercise. Yes, there is xenophobia (btw, probably not the best term to use for the argument posed), as there is most everywhere in the world. But "largely?" No. It's mostly on the fringes of society. I think the original poster should do a bit more travelling, and get a clearer picture of what people are like. Also, see some recent examples of mass public protests in other "developed" and allied countries, demanding the expulsion of certain types of immigrants and even refugees.

r

Australia is currently shipping illegal immigrants to crime ridden and more xenophobic Papua New Guinea, lol. They considered their own indegenous as outsiders and ethnically cleansed them. They don't deserve to be called welcoming.

A lot of European countries are. The immigrants get welfare and can basically live off the system until they find jobs. Just because the US "allows" immigrants in, doesn't mean they tolerate them. Hell, the States has a problem with their own citizens (minorities), why would they be more tolerant of people who are not even American?
You seriously think that Europe is more tolerant of their immigrants? French society pretty much expects their immigrants to drop their cultural identity in conform to French ideals completely. The situations in European slums of immigrants has become so bad that they have had riots in recent years. Muslims in Europe are far more likely to be radicalized than Muslims in the United States because they feel alienated. And when I talked to Europeans when I was in Europe, they pretty much don't like their immigrants because they see them as moochers of the system.

America's problems with race come more from the fact that our populace is either too afraid or too immature to have a direct and honest talk about race relations. Europe really has no right to criticize the United States when it comes to immigration issues IMO.

You seriously think that Europe is more tolerant of their immigrants? French society pretty much expects their immigrants to drop their cultural identity in conform to French ideals completely. The situations in European slums of immigrants has become so bad that they have had riots in recent years. Muslims in Europe are far more likely to be radicalized than Muslims in the United States because they feel alienated. And when I talked to Europeans when I was in Europe, they pretty much don't like their immigrants because they see them as moochers of the system.

America's problems with race come more from the fact that our populace is either too afraid or too immature to have a direct and honest talk about race relations. Europe really has no right to criticize the United States when it comes to immigration issues IMO.

Well, they are. My family is all German and they've told me that the immigrants who come to Germany don't bother learning the language, rules, norms, etc when they get there. So they send their kids off to German schools without knowing a lick of German and the other kids in the class have to suffer because they're essentially being held back until the immigrant children catch up. On the one hand, it's nice that immigrants feel they can be safe in Germany (because the majority are fleeing violence filled countries), but on the other hand, they live off the system because they don't bother becoming a German. But the Germans can't kick them out or make stricter rules because then the international community will complain that they're being racist again.

As for French society wanting immigrants to adhere to the French way of life...yeah exactly. That's a problem? You go to another country and you learn their way of life, that's how it works. You can't bring your BS from your country into another one. Look what is happening in Germany with Muslim immigrants causing violence (don't believe me? Here are some links:

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/3715/germany-islam-christianity

http://themuslimissue.wordpress.com...olent-muslim-attacks-and-7500-germans-killed/

http://www.todayszaman.com/columnists-291005-germany-playing-dangerous-game-with-muslims.html

To name a few).

So their intolerance isn't unjustified. And it's not like Americans treat their Muslim immigrants any better. But more immigrants go to Europe (because they're closer and the governments of these countries have such nice plans in place for them), so even though the people themselves don't like it (as I've noted before, why should they?), the governments offer a cushy life for immigrants.

Not all Europeans are xenophobic. Like CosmicPinchy said its not the problem with immigrants settling in the country and maintaining their culture. The problem is with immigrants who settle and make no effort to learn the language or integrate with the population and thus ghettoising themselves off from everyone else. Self imposed alienation.

Well, every nation is xenophobic.
I think a better way of saying it is every country has xenophobic citizens.

There seems to be lots of generalization in this thread. For some reason people keep judging countries of millions of people in broad uniformed terms.

Like CosmicPinchy said its not the problem with immigrants settling in the country and maintaining their culture. The problem is with immigrants who settle and make no effort to learn the language or integrate with the population and thus ghettoising themselves off from everyone else. Self imposed alienation.

There seems to be lots of generalization in this thread. For some reason people keep judging countries of millions of people in broad uniformed terms.

That's not true. They don't have the same opportunities as citizens to achieve success. Asians here (in US) do a lot better than those in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"