'The Last of Us' HBO Series

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
'The Last of Us' Series in the Works at HBO From 'Chernobyl' Creator Craig Mazin, Neil Druckmann (Exclusive)

Craig Mazin, the creator of the acclaimed limited series Chernobyl, is reteaming with HBO adapt The Last of Us, the massive Sony PlayStation video game franchise.

In a rare development in the world of video game adaptations, the writer and creative director of the game, Neil Druckmann, is also involved, and will work with Mazin to pen and executive produce what is intended to be a series.

Carolyn Strauss will also executive produce along with Evan Wells, the president of Naughty Dog, the Santa Monica-based developer of the game. The project is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television and in association with PlayStation Productions and it will be the first television series from PlayStation Productions.

Originally launched in 2013, Sony and Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us garnered critical praise for its engrossing tale of the post-apocalypse centered on the relationship between Joel, a smuggler in this new world, and Ellie, a teenager who may be a key to a cure for the deadly pandemic.

Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle the14-year-old girl out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival. The HBO series will cover the events of the original game, which was written by Druckmann, with the possibility of additional content based on the forthcoming game sequel, The Last of Us Part II, which will release on May 29, 2020.

Mazin, who is said to be an avid player of the game, stated, “Neil Druckmann is without question the finest storyteller working in the video game medium, and The Last of Us is his magnum opus. Getting a chance to adapt this breathtaking work of art has been a dream of mine for years, and I’m so honored to do it in partnership with Neil.”

“From the first time I sat down to talk with Craig I was equally blown away by his approach to narrative and his love and deep understanding of The Last of Us,” said Druckmann in a statement. “With Chernobyl, Craig and HBO created a tense, harrowing, emotional masterpiece. I couldn’t think of better partners to bring the story of The Last of Us to life as a television show.”

“This is an incredibly exciting opportunity for us to partner with Craig, Neil, Carolyn and the teams at Sony, Naughty Dog and PlayStation to bring the virtual world of this acclaimed game to life,” stated HBO programming president Casey Bloys.

“This is the first of many shows we intend to develop with our friends at PlayStation Productions,” said Chris Parnell, co-president of Sony Pictures Television Studios. The Last of Us is a brilliant achievement in storytelling and character development, and we are lucky to have the opportunity to work with this team to adapt it.”

Last edited:
Never played this series, but Mazin's involvement is what gets me excited about this project.

I liked Chernobyl and Last Of Us so I’ll check it out. I think this is a much better format to adapt the game series than a movie will ever be.

Not sure I see the point in this but at least it will be good; loved Chernobyl.

Chernobyl is trash, and what are they gonna do with TLOU? Adapting the games story? It's not interesting, imo. New stuff set in the world? I don't have much faith in trashmakers. And Druckman probably better stick to what he does really well - making new games.

NiceBelovedArmedcrab-max-1mb.gif

I hope its not going to be boring and slow.

Chernobyl is trash, and what are they gonna do with TLOU? Adapting the games story? It's not interesting, imo. New stuff set in the world? I don't have much faith in trashmakers. And Druckman probably better stick to what he does really well - making new games.

tenor.gif

Since GoT ended and Westworld seems to be heading to the end, HBO needs a big hit on their hands. This would easily fill that void if they do it right.

The only reason OutOfBoose doesn't like Chernobyl is because he's Russian.

Excellent news! Always thought that this would work far better as a show than a movie.

About casting... Hugh Jackman would be a big get for Joel, but I can see them choosing Justin Theroux who's already worked with HBO.

Last edited:
About casting... Hugh Jackman would be a big get for Joel, but I can see them choosing Justin Theroux who's already worked with HBO.

Carrie Coon as Tess.

Dominique Tipper or Hannah John-Kamen as Marlene. Lupita Nyong'o would be great for the role too.

Id be happy with Simone Missick or Alfre Woodard as Marlene too.

I want an age appropriate Ellie. I’ve seen McKenna Grace and Dafne Keen’s name thrown around. They’re perfect age wise.

Dafne Keen is in another hbo show right now. I don't want her as Ellie.

Own PS4, never played game. Not interested for now. But HBO series by Chernobyl producers, yes sign me up. Now i wonder how long before fan casting starts with Gerard Butler rumors

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"