The Amazing Spider-Man The Lizard: CGI or Practical

NinjaCarm

Fantastic
Reaction score
Given The Lizard will almost certainly be the main nemesis in the Spider-Man reboot, the question remains: CGI or Practical... or both?

With the seemingly lower budget of which has been hinted at, I can see them going the route of practical over CGI in most cases.

For me, if it were ALL CGI I would hope for something along the lines of Golum in Lord of the Rings or even King Kong, those effects were spectacularly blended with the live footage around it.

I would have to say both practical and CGI. I just don't know if the Lizard would look funny in a practical suit? I mean Aliens and Predator use practical designs, right?

I'm still wondering how they will do it, but you can't beat that tangible physical quality of practical effects especially given todays standards of puppet / monster making. The CGI would almost certainly add / enhance the Lizard when appropiate.

Your thoughts?:liz:

Should be CGI for the movement and figthing scenes, and for close ups it should be practical IMO.

It needs to be entirely CG. But they need to hire someone who's actually GOOD with CG. Like someone who has worked on Transformers, Jurassic Park, etc.

Easily a mixture of both....interestingly enough, it's the most practical way to realise both spidey and the lizard, especially if really want to see them both in their element of skill and abilities and of course for shere epic battle scenes.

Well, if the budget is $80 million, then they do not have the money for very much cgi anything, much less a full digital Lizard all the time. I have heard practical stuff has been built, but I am sure it will be enhanced with digital when necessary. We can only hope some one like Phil Tippett gets the job, he has always done great work on with little money [first Hellboy comes to mind].

I'm sorry, but is it even for SURE that Curt Connors becomes the Lizard in this movie!??? Hasn't been told official yet.

I just hope they base the Lizard on something good like Ditko's, and not that crap McFarlane did during his run.

I'm sorry, but is it even for SURE that Curt Connors becomes the Lizard in this movie!??? Hasn't been told official yet.
Well, who the heck could make these claw marks on Peter's face? (ruling out Proto Goblin because he just plain sucks):

Spider-Man-Garfield-Crop.jpg

Last edited:
It should be CGI/Practical.

In addition to the claw marks on Garfield's face, the set pic below should be proof that The Lizard is in the movie (set pic found in Brook Willard's website http://brookwillard.wordpress.com/).

20110113013015.jpg

:liz::liz::liz:

Well, who the heck could make these claw marks on Peter's face? (ruling out Proto Goblin because he just plain sucks):

Spider-Man-Garfield-Crop.jpg

Dear god, tell me that's not what you have to go on! Those marks could've been made in tons of creative ways...

Besides, Curt Connors was in both spidey 2 and 3, and there were never no lizard.. he may as well be a character that'll continue his villain journey in to the second movie. We really dont know anything yet.

Last edited:
It should be CGI/Practical.

In addition to the claw marks on Garfield's face, the set pic below should be proof that The Lizard is in the movie (set pic found in Brook Willard's website http://brookwillard.wordpress.com/).

20110113013015.jpg

:liz::liz::liz:

That's definitely a good sign.. but in the end, it's not exactly proof that the villain is the lizard. It could be the vulture for all we know, and the lizard is coming in movie 2. just saying.

That's definitely a good sign.. but in the end, it's not exactly proof that the villain is the lizard. It could be the vulture for all we know, and the lizard is coming in movie 2. just saying.
Well, it does look like the lizard... a little bit. I mean it is a reptile.

Practical. Only use CG for shots where practical would be impossible or it would put them over budget. There's absolutely no reason to go all or even mostly CG. TV shows and movies have been doing suits, make up, and puppetry for human sized lizard monsters for decades.

It's simple. look at the make-up for the orchs in lord of the rings. Looks amazing and scary.. so they can definitely go practical with the lizard, and only use cg for when he's jumping around.

Definitely a mixture. Something like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"