The Lounge at the End of the Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the talk about Captain Marvel and Shazam got me to thinking about something.....

In the late 60's I had just bought the MARVEL COMICS comic book CAPTAIN MARVEL (damn I wish I still had that book)....a week or so later I watched the 1950 movie THE GOOD HUMOR MAN starring Jack Carson. It's a goofy comedy that has as part of the plot - adult ice cream truck driver is part of a club that all other members are children....and their club was centered around the adventures of comic book superhero Captain Marvel (the one who says SHAZAM) - This blew my mind. I had a comic book of a brand new superhero and here was a movie from 1950 that was talking about him. I showed my comic to my dad and told him about the mention in the old movie. He told me there was a Captain Marvel back then, but that he wore a red suit with a lighting bolt on his chest and that he had a cape. He said he wasn't an alien warrior. I of course figured dad didn't know what he was talking about. Around 5 years later the SHAZAM TV series debuted. And I was confused as hell again.

I wonder how the general audiences today will react to CAPTAIN MARVEL and SHAZAM starring CAPTAIN MARVEL.

All he talk about Captain Marvel and Shazam got me to thinking about something.....

In the late 60's I had just bought the MARVEL COMICS comic book CAPTAIN MARVEL (damn I wish I still had that book)....a week or so later I watched the 1950 movie THE GOOD HUMOR MAN starring Jack Carson. It's a goofy comedy that has as part of the plot - adult ice cream truck driver is part of a club that all other members are children....and their club was centered around the adventures of comic book superhero Captain Marvel (the one who says SHAZAM) - This blew my mind. I had a comic book of a brand new superhero and here was a movie from 1950 that was talking about him. I showed my comic to my dad and told him about the mention in the old movie. He told me there was a Captain Marvel back then, but that he wore a red suit with a lighting bolt on his chest and that he had a cape. He said he wasn't an alien warrior. I of course figured dad didn't know what he was talking about. Around 5 years later the SHAZAM TV series debuted. And I was confused as hell again.

I wonder how the general audiences today will react to CAPTAIN MARVEL and SHAZAM starring CAPTAIN MARVEL.
It's just funny to me that these characters have been around for decades and their first major motion pictures just happen to be getting made at the same time and are being released a month apart.

I personally think the only people who still see Shazam as Captain Marvel or face any confusion over this are old school comic book fans. The general audience won't even know or care that he was ever called that.

Conan the Barbarian is the greatest sword and sorcery movie ever made.

The writing in this film is incredible. And it does the very important aspect of action filmmaking established by Kurosawa that most modern action films ignore: it shows bodies hitting the ground, even in mass battle sequences. Very important to establish realism and stakes, and is often the dividing line between a good action sequence and a mere live action video game.

When the first Arnold CONAN movie was released, I had already seen close to a hundred, mostly Italian, sand and sandles schlockfests (thank you great independent TV station in Orlando, Florida) and had read all the REH Conan stories. That movie just blew me away. It set the standard by which all subsequent types of films would be judged....and none have equaled since.

It's just funny to me that these characters have been around for decades and their first major motion pictures just happen to be getting made at the same time and are being released a month apart.

I personally think the only people who still see Shazam as Captain Marvel or face any confusion over this are old school comic book fans. The general audience won't even know or care that he was ever called that.
I wouldn't have known. :p

I am confident that one Captain Marvel movie will be good, hope the other one is better.

i could probably seduce mother nature... but id get greedy and make it rain on schlosser at all times

I think you should really talk to someone about your infatuation with me, it's getting awkward. I had to explain to my boss today where that giant bouquet of roses came from.

.....you can keep sending the boxes of mixed chocolates, though. I mean, if you need that outlet. I understand.

I think you should really talk to someone about your infatuation with me, it's getting awkward. I had to explain to my boss today where that giant bouquet of roses came from.
That was from Aziz. He sent them to everyone.

Is Sawyer still around or did he disappear like E-Man?

Is Sawyer still around or did he disappear like E-Man?
He's around.

I'm still here.

I am THE E-man right?
giphy.gif

I guess I don't frequent the threads he's in

It's been slower overall since the move. :( Less people around.

When you realize they're holding bug feces.

giphy.gif

When you realize they're holding bug feces.

giphy.gif

If you knew how many times a day you come into contact with other people's and animals' feces youd probably never want to touch anything or anyone.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"