The Walking Dead The Maggie Greene Thread

Lauren Cohan Talks About The Walking Dead Finale - TWD Season 7 Finale

Harper's Bazaar said:
THE 'WALKING DEAD' ACTRESS OPENS UP ABOUT SEASON SEVEN'S "HEARTBREAKING" FINALE, HER LAST "DEATH DINNER" WITH STEVEN YEUN—AND WHAT WOMEN KNOW ABOUT SURVIVING THE APOCALYPSE.

If you think the real world has gone to hell, we invite you to take a tour of the world as depicted in television's favorite zombie apocalypse. The seventh season of AMC's The Walking Dead has been grim—and that's saying something for a world where hordes of the undead are basically set dressing. Chalk it up to the addition of the show's biggest, baddest Big Bad ever: the sinister survivor Negan, played by a gleefully sadistic Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Negan puts a fine point on an oft-central question of the series—one we've asked ourselves, oh, a couple of times since novelist Mary Shelley first conjured up Frankenstein: "So who's the real monster here, anyway?" The answer he poses with relentless, cavalier brutality isn't "us, but…" or "us, if…." It's a grinning, "us, duh."

But Lauren Cohan doesn't view things that way. The actress has a skill for seeing the sunny side, even if she has to squint. On a cloudy day up in the Santa Monica Mountains, where Cohan is being photographed for BAZAAR.com, she's the picture of placid poise in a gold and black Louis Vuitton dress. "I'm in the mind of another version of myself, which can be very steadying," she says of wearing the shoot's playfully sculptural outfits. This idea of steadiness is a quality Cohan tries to actualize in her character, Maggie. If the Southern farm girl-turned-fighter Cohan plays on The Walking Dead has remained a figure of stability since she first appeared in the show's second season, it's because Cohan sees Maggie as the eye in a storm. As the show's survivors run from place to place, beating back threat after escalating threat, Maggie has become a touchstone for humanity and pragmatism in an increasingly ruthless narrative.

The ability to project such reliability comes from Cohan's own itinerant childhood—the now 35-year-old was born in New Jersey, spent a year in Georgia, returned to New Jersey, then moved with her family to the UK as a teenager. The English accent stuck, and so did an aptitude for laying down roots in new soil. "It's interesting for me to play to a hopeful feeling in the middle of tragedy," says Cohan. More than perhaps any other character in the series, Maggie has seen tragedy not at the hands of flesh-eating zombies, but of flesh-and-blood humans. A recap, not for the faint of heart: her father is decapitated by the power-mad "Governor" of another group of survivors; her younger sister is accidentally shot dead by yet another wannabe despot; and her husband Glenn (played by fan favorite Steven Yeun) had his skull treated like silly putty by a baseball bat-wielding Negan in this season's gruesome and controversial premiere. So what was that about hope?

Cohan points to a scene in a recent episode, in which Maggie and Daryl (Norman Reedus) clear the air around Daryl's guilt over being a bystander (and by provoking Negan, an instigator) in Glenn's death. Fans appreciated the scene, which they saw as a much-needed emotional pressure-release valve. It was the kind of scene that Cohan lasers in on, too. "Given how guarded [Daryl] is, it was really beautiful to get to take down that wall," she says. "I think it's important for the audience to see how the characters lean on each other and how they work through things together." That's where Cohan sees the real stakes—"when we stop running."

Though the show is roughly guided by the ongoing comics that spawned it, Cohan doesn't read ahead anymore. Mild spoiler alert: In the comics, Maggie grows into the mold of a leader—later asserting more control at the "Hilltop," for those keeping track of the post-apocalyptic intrigue. "She's always grown in tandem with other people. She grew in tandem with Glenn. Now it's all on her more," reveals Cohan, before quickly adding: "I hate saying anything that implies, 'Oh yeah, in the middle of season eight when I'm still alive…,' because I really don't know if I will be. But as a viewer, I am excited to see that arc being realized."

For the record, that doesn't mean that losing Yeun, her onscreen husband, wasn't a gut punch to the cast. Cohan calls his "death dinner," the cast's traditional send-off to their fallen, bittersweet. "It's funny when I stop to think about calling them death dinners. It's such a frequent part of our lingo that I forget how absurd it is, like spying on your own funeral," she says. "We've had some of our best nights together at them. There's always a lot of tears, but we also have bonfires and play games and get to tell the family member leaving how much we love them—and, you know, completely embarrass them."

Yeun and Michael Cudlitz, who were both killed off in spectacularly gory fashion during the season's premiere, had "one of the best hurrahs," recalls Cohan. "All the girls got together to plan. I booked a karaoke machine because Steve is a great singer, and especially good at hyper-sincere karaoke performances." Danai Gurira, who plays katana-wielding Michonne, suggested they perform his favorite—Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way." "So, as you do, we dressed as the Backstreet Boys-meet-Abraham [Cudlitz's camo-clad character] and reenacted the music video...without the tarmac."

In the post-Glenn plot line, Maggie, who's pregnant with his child, shows even greater independence, following a theme that runs through several of The Walking Dead's female characters: a rally cry that says, underestimate us at your own peril. Carol (Melissa McBride) routinely pantomimes helplessness in front of strangers to avoid conflict, despite having a blackbelt in badass. Rosita (Christian Serratos) developed a strategy of becoming close to the men around her, playing the damsel in distress while quietly learning and honing each of those men's survival skills for her own arsenal. In recent episodes, Maggie has had to stand up to the Gregory, the bumbling leader of the peaceful Hilltop commune (played by Xander Berkeley as a kind of post-doomsday Michael Scott, with a knack for making Cohan crack up during takes). "These women are smart not to flaunt their strengths right away. They think, 'While you were looking in the other direction, we were listening and learning,'" says Cohan of a trope she believes rings true for many women today. "We pay attention and fortify ourselves."

Cohan considers the women—and the men—of The Walking Dead to be feminist characters, largely because "the physical and emotional qualifications to survive an apocalypse are naturally equalizing," she says. "Knowing poisonous berries from nonpoisonous berries, being able to jump start a car, keeping your cool under pressure, having the Spidey-sense to stab a zombie in the brain just in time. Our characters are defined by their merits, not their gender. It makes me proud when mothers tell us that their daughters look up to the women on our show."

Cohan believes that even after seven seasons, a show about decapitating bloodthirsty corpses does have something to say about the world, and humanity, as a whole. "I look at it all as selflessness versus selfishness," she says of the show's most basic tension. "That conflict is representative of the world at any time. We're always grasping to feel safe. Ultimately, some people feel safe through love or family or community. Some people through exerting control." After six years of fielding questions about how she'd plan to survive the end of the world, Cohan has had time to wax philosophical about strength in numbers. "Some people don't operate in that way; they can't understand how much strength comes from being compassionate and lifting other people up."

If the show continues to hew somewhat to the stories mapped out in the comics, the finale (airing Sunday, April 2) will be big and bloody. But it's not surprising that Cohan's focus is elsewhere when teasing the season's endgame: "You're certainly in for a lot of emotion," she says after having a quick rhetorical debate with herself over whether or not to go as far as calling the finale "poetic." Eventually, she lands on describing it as "incredibly bittersweet, beautiful, and heartbreaking." Leave it to Cohan to cut to the bone and find some inner beauty.

E14KxE8.jpg

QDQDpOH.jpg

c1XK2kR.jpg

C9bdwYq.jpg

f46hWft.jpg

Last edited:
Lauren Cohan Fielding Slew Of Pilot Offers – Is She Done With ‘The Walking Dead’?

Deadline said:
The first batches of offers for the 2018 broadcast pilots are out, and one surprising name has stood out, The Walking Dead star Lauren Cohan. The actress, who plays Maggie on the hit AMC zombie drama, has been very sought after with close to half-dozen offers so far.

The development may come as a shock to TWD fans because her character is alive and well on the show where death lurks around every corner. A fan favorite, Cohan has been on the series since the beginning of Season 2, which she joined as a recurring, becoming a series regular in Season 3. Cohan’s contract is up at the end of TWD‘s current eighth season, making her available for new series.

There had been rumblings that Cohan had sought parity with her male co-stars Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus, who are paid significantly more than all of their female colleagues. I hear that was brought up early on but was not made a make-or-break requirement for Cohan to come back as she had joined the show later than Lincoln and Reedus who, on average, appear in more scenes than just about anyone else on the series. I hear AMC offered Cohan a modest salary increase in exchange for a long-term contract, which was rejected, a standard practice in talent re-negotiations.

What happened next is a little murky. I hear the network did not follow up with a new proposition and there have been no further talks. Cohan, who is contractually free and clear to entertain new offers, has been doing that, with her availability igniting a feeding frenzy in the form of a string of offers from multiple networks. She reportedly has been engaging, taking pilot meetings.

According to other sources close to the situation, there are active talks with Cohan who has not indicated that she would not be coming back for Season 9, which already has been greenlighted.

Currently in its eighth season, The Walking Dead remains the No.1 series on television in adults 18-49 and recently appointed its first female showrunner, Angela Kang.

If Maggie's out, so am i! This show has gone downhill anyway.

Somehow I doubt her recurring on the show will last long.

The Walking Dead co-star Lauren Cohan has been tapped as the female lead opposite Scott Foley in Whiskey Cavalier, ABC’s hourlong action-dramedy pilot from Bill Lawrence, Dave Hemingson and Warner Bros. TV.

Cohan had been one of the most sought-after actors this broadcast season, fielding more than half-dozen offers before choosing the ABC project. While she will be a series regular on Whiskey Cavalier, I hear her deal allows the actress potentially to return to The Walking Dead, reprising her fan-favorite role as Maggie on a recurring basis should she is able to make a new pact with AMC. I hear there are no current negotiations with the cable network, but the production schedules of the zombie drama would not interfere with her duties on Whiskey Cavalier if the pilot is picked up to series.

Written by Hemingson, Whiskey Cavalier, from WBTV and Lawrence’s studio-based Doozer Prods., follows the adventures of FBI agent Will Chase (codename: Whiskey Cavalier) — played by Foley — who, following an emotional break-up, is assigned to work with quick, cunning and completely fearless CIA operative Francesca “Frankie” Trowbridge (codename: Fiery Tribune) — played by Cohan. Together, they lead an interagency team of spies who periodically save the world (and each other) while navigating the rocky roads of friendship, romance and office politics.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/lauren-...urn-the-walking-dead-amc-season-9-1202296481/

Stopped watching the show that much after Glenn died. Maggie without Glenn is not the same.

'Walking Dead' Star Lauren Cohan: "I'm Going Back" for Season 9

The Hollywood Reporter said:
The actress has confirmed that she is returning for the AMC zombie drama's upcoming ninth season, though it still remains to be determined if she will be a series regular or have a lesser role. Cohan put herself up for broadcast pilot season — booking the lead on ABC's Whiskey Cavalier — as she battled AMC over a better salary for season nine.

"I'm going back," Cohan told EW late Tuesday at CinemaCon, where she appeared to support her upcoming feature, Mile 22 with Mark Wahlberg. "There's a lot more Maggie story to tell."

The Hollywood Reporter has reached out to AMC for comment and will update this story if more information becomes immediately available.

Cohan recently signed on as the female lead in the ABC action drama pilot Whiskey Cavalier, starring opposite Scandal's Scott Foley. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the network and Whiskey producers ABC Studios were amenable to allowing the actress to return to The Walking Dead in a limited capacity to potentially close out Maggie's storyline. Cohan's comments on Tuesday help solidify her return — in some capacity. Cohan's deal for Whiskey Cavalier does leave the door open for her to return to the series on a more limited basis should she and AMC close the gap and agree to a new deal. Walking Dead typically begins production on new seasons in the spring, when most broadcast shows have already wrapped.

Of course, things could change if Whiskey does not go to series and should Cohan and AMC come to terms on a deal for the actress to return. But given the months-long negotiation that promoted Cohan to make herself available for pilots, that seems unlikely at this point. Industry standard usually dictates that actors in series regular roles can do no more than three episodes of another show, unless another agreement is made in advance. This pilot season, many casting directors told THR that they've had to soften that policy in order to land top talent in a Peak TV era when many are juggling multiple projects. Of course, Whiskey could get picked up to series and held for midseason, which could allow Cohan to return in a larger capacity as the production schedules on both shows would be unlikely to overlap.

For his part, outgoing showrunner Scott M. Gimple told THR ahead the season eight finale that news on Cohan's front would be coming "soon." He also revealed that the zombie drama based on Robert Kirkman's comics would never recast the role of Maggie and that it belonged only to Cohan. He previously told THR in March that he was "pretty positive" both sides could come to an agreement for Cohan to return in some capacity. "We're talking; I'm pretty positive. We're figuring it out. The timing could work well, so all good," he said.

Cohan emerged as one of the most in-demand actresses this pilot season. Sources told THR at the time that she has been actively looking for her next role as she battles AMC over her season nine salary. With Walking Dead already renewed for a ninth season, Cohan did not have a deal in place to return to the show. Sources say the actress and her agents were not happy with the offers that have been on the table from AMC. Although Cohan is not seeking salary parity with male leads Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus, her camp and AMC have been engaged in a months-long negotiation that remained far apart. Insiders suggested that she was actively looking for her next job and not trying to use the pilot casting process to force AMC's hand as the actress' camp remained frustrated by what some called AMC's "lowball" offers. Other sources note AMC made "aggressive offers" to re-sign Cohan for season nine.

Either way, it's good news for The Walking Dead that one of its key comic book characters in Maggie and a fan favorite in Cohan will return for season nine — in some capacity — after the April 15 season eight finale teed up a larger story for Maggie. Furious that Rick (Lincoln) opted to not kill Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) — the man who murdered her husband, Glenn (Steven Yeun), before her eyes, the season ended with Maggie vowing to avenge Glenn's death.

Last edited:
Sounds like a crappy series. I wager it'll be cancelled by Thanksgiving.

TWD needs to make sure they don't lose Michonne.

I wouldn't be surprised if Danai Gurira wants to be out of the show. She's too big now after Black Panther.

How many police/service shows do we need? I'd have thought there were an ample number of these show types already rolling around. I guess there's a lack of originality somewhere.

Well, it is a lead part for her.I hope this recurring thing doesn't mean one episode to kill Maggie off.

Sounds like a crappy series. I wager it'll be cancelled by Thanksgiving.

TWD needs to make sure they don't lose Michonne.

Yeah it sounds boring. I hope her character isn't a Maggie knock off because then i would rather see her on TWD.

Whiskey Cavalier Starring Scott Foley, Lauren Cohan Ordered to Series at ABC

Oa5L0i0.jpg

TVLine said:
R.I.P., The Walking Dead‘s Maggie?

ABC has formally ordered Whiskey Cavalier — the action dramedy starring Scandal‘s Scott Foley and The Walking Dead‘s Lauren Cohan — to series.

The series, from writer/executive producer Dave Hemingson and executive producer Bill Lawrence, is described as a high-octane, thriller that “follows the adventures of tough but tender FBI super-agent Will Chase (codename: “Whiskey Cavalier”), played by Foley. Following an emotional break-up, Chase is assigned to work with badass CIA operative Francesca “Frankie” Trowbridge (codename: “Fiery Tribune”), played by Cohan. Together, they lead an inter-agency team of flawed, funny and heroic spies who periodically save the world (and each other) while navigating the rocky roads of friendship, romance and office politics.”

Whiskey Cavalier also stars Ana Ortiz, Tyler James Williams and Vir Das as Jai Datta.

"while navigating the rocky roads of friendship, romance and office politics".

could they at least have the female role played by an Asian American or have a role for a transgendered actor?

These recycled series wouldn't be so terrible if they were played against the typical cliches.

A cliche female role played by an asian woman or a transgender person would still be a cliche, right?

I don't know about transgender, but I don't think the role would be any different if Olivia Munn played it rather than Cohan.

A cliche female role played by an asian woman or a transgender person would still be a cliche, right?

have you seen it before? them being the lead of a primetime cop or medical series?

No i haven't (i don't like police shows) but if it's the typical police role only played by an asian woman or a trasngender person then that's just as terrible. Not better or worse. This fake diversity movement in popculture is extremely superficial if you ask me.

No i haven't (i don't like police shows) but if it's the typical police role only played by an asian woman or a trasngender person then that's just as terrible. Not better or worse. This fake diversity movement in popculture is extremely superficial if you ask me.

what's fake? people want diversity. It makes sense. The same ridiculous show can at least be somewhat different if told from the perspective of those who you rarely ever see. Now that might be a teenage drama told form the perspective of a transgender teen or a beauty pageant winner who happens to be in a wheelchair. something different and yet with a new spin that's worth our attention./

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"