The Marvel Year In Review

Annihilation

Annihilation #6: January saw the final issue of two Marvel Events: Civil War and Annihilation. Sadly, the better of the two never saw the amount of readers (or advertising dollars) as Civil War. As had been promised, "Marvel's cosmic landscape will never be the same." Looking back, it's hard to believe Marvel ignored the cosmic side of the MU for so long. This event really put everything back on track; which is good, mainly for the fact that Marvel readers can get away from all things Civil War, Initiative, or mutant driven.

Annihilation: Heralds of Galactus-Terrax/Stardust; Silver Surfer/Firelord: These two minis were a very short sort of epilogue to Annihilation, focusing on the characters mentioned. Nothing of significance really happens in either; but, it was something to tide us over until the Annihilation sequel hit mid-year.

Annihilation Saga: Marvel does something that is rare; they offer a recap of previous events for a low price of $1.99. (The recent Ultimates Saga with the same number of pages sold for $3.99!) Of course, it really makes me wonder why someone would pick this up and not have read the original event.

Annihilation Conquest Prologue: With the success of Annihilation, Marvel announced 2007 would start a sequel, of sorts: Annihilation Conquest. This prologue, released in June, blew me out of the water, as readers were introduced to many Marvel characters long forgotten, including Rocket Racoon, the Phalanx, and the Spaceknights. (Oh, and who can forget Bug!) My love for this prologue would only be somewhat tarnished by the miniseries, which I felt didn't live up to the first Annihilation minis.

Annihilation Conquest-Star-Lord #1-4: As mentioned, I think my disappointment with these set of minis was greatly influenced by better ones for the original event. I also felt as if these didn't contribute to the overall story of "Annihilation: Conquest," and except for introducing some of the supporting characters, aren't that important to the overall enjoyment of the main series. (Of course, my point of view would be greatly disputed among readers. I do realize I'm in the minority here.)

I loved how Star-Lord combined many old characters that I used to read in the 80's into this event. I'm not sure how well they actually blended together; but, I can't fault Keith Giffen for trying. Marvel called this "a sci-fi twist on Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos."

Annihilation Conquest-Wraith #1-4: This was the biggest disappointment, and really was the lowpoint of this series. The character of Wraith just became a bore to me and I found myself struggling to get through his final two issues.

Annihilation Conquest-Quasar #1-4: Except for Nova, this was my favorite of all the minis. Giving Phyla-Vell the role of Quasar really made her one of the more interesting characters reintroduced in the pages of Annihilation; and my only gripe would be changing her lover, Moondragon, into an actual dragon. I loved their relationship, and after the change, it just became cringe-inducing whenever they had scenes together. Maybe Mephisto can do something to erase that memory from my mind.

Nova #1-9: One of the best new series introduced by Marvel in 2007, I felt only the Civil War tie-in was its low-point. (Of course, that has been discussed more than enough already, and I won't go into it.) Issue #1 dealt with the aftermath of Annihilation, #2-3 the Initiative tie-in, and #4-7 is where things really pick up and the tie-in with Annihilation Conquest begins. (Issue's 2-3 really just felt like the writers didn't want to get into a big storyline, as everything was leading up to the Phalanx invasion of the Kree Empire.) Finally, the last two issues, 8-9, really kept things going by introducing one of my favorite new characters, Cosmo, in a haunted place, called Knowhere. This is definitely a title to continue to watch in '08.

Annihilation Conquest #1-2: Just two issues in, this series already has had its share of twists, like the appearance of Ultron as the main, mystery villian. (This also shows how certain characters in the hands of good writers makes all the difference in the world. Lady Ultron was a complete bomb in Mighty Avengers. This Ultron appearance makes total sense, and I cannot wait to see how it plays out.) Only Messiah Complex has replaced it as my Best Event of 2007.

The time Phaedrus is spending on this thread is both admirable and pathetic. :up:

I actually really liked Firelord's Heralds of Galactus story. I could go for a whole mini-series of Firelord running around viciously murdering Negative Zone Centurions who won't play ball with the peace treaty. :up:

I didn't contest that, did I? It's the "viciously murdering" part that's a little over the top.

Viciously murdering in real life is not good. Viciously murdering in comics is good, clean fun. :o

I thought you were against characters committing murder within Marvel's comics books. :confused:

Nope, I'm against superheroes who don't have a big history of it suddenly murdering without remorse.

Oh. I'm against anyone murdering anyone else viciously, unless Frank Castle or some cruel villian is involved. Or Wolverine.

Those would be examples of "superheroes" who have a history of it. :up:

I don't remember ever seeing Firelord actively seeking out people to murder, dude.

I actually really liked Firelord's Heralds of Galactus story. I could go for a whole mini-series of Firelord running around viciously murdering Negative Zone Centurions who won't play ball with the peace treaty. :up:

Firelord is a favorite of mine, especially when I had him as a character in the Contest Of Marvel's contest. Doing research on him, he'd have no problem viciously murdering people who piss him off. Too bad Annihilation didn't spin-off more series than just Nova. I really wish Marvel would get back the rights to Micronauts and Rom.

I don't remember ever seeing Firelord actively seeking out people to murder, dude.
But there is good reason for it in this case, and he clearly isn't just indiscriminately murdering people, as we saw with those few "good" Centurions. I don't remember Nova ever tearing an opponent's brain and spinal column out either, but there was good reason for it in Annihilation. War on that scale (especially for Firelord, whose race was wiped out) changes a man.

But there is good reason for it in this case, and he clearly isn't just indiscriminately murdering people, as we saw with those few "good" Centurions. I don't remember Nova ever tearing an opponent's brain and spinal column out either, but there was good reason for it in Annihilation. War on that scale (especially for Firelord, whose race was wiped out) changes a man.

You just want to see mindless bloodshed, you philistine.

No, I want to see mindful bloodshed, like what we saw in the Heralds of Galactus one-shot. :o

And to be fair, he told them to surrender first, THEN killed them when they wouldn't.

I can. I just think it'd make for a good mini-series in this case. As it stands, that subplot is left dangling.

Firelord was just going about tying the loose ends of the Annihilation Wave.

Who's the jelly dude? The one who's the last of his kind? I remember his story being good.

Jelly dude?

Preak maybe? He was with Kl'rt, and died on the Harvester.

No, the guy who's species was like these blobs of stuff. Or something. But he's sort of humanoid. Christ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"