Batman '89 The Michael Keaton Appreciation Thread

DocLathropBrown

The Man with the Hat is Back
Reaction score
Dew warned me about it ending badly, but said I could restart the thread.

I was the beginning of the trouble last time, I overreacted when I should have been civil, but I didn't overreact over nothing (A double-negative.... but you get my point). Still, it was my inability to be more of an adult that got the last one closed. It ain't gonna happen this time.

So, have at it. I'll begin by posting one of my favorite Keaton pictures, which I colorized from the original B/W photo.

89rittscol0gu.jpg

Michael Keaton will always be my personal favorite Batman. I just connected a bit more to this particular portrayal of the character.

profile.jpg

DocLathropBrown said:
Dew warned me about it ending badly, but said I could restart the thread.

I was the beginning of the trouble last time, I overreacted when I should have been civil, but I didn't overreact over nothing (A double-negative.... but you get my point). Still, it was my inability to be more of an adult that got the last one closed. It ain't gonna happen this time.

So, have at it. I'll begin by posting one of my favorite Keaton pictures, which I colorized from the original B/W photo.

89rittscol0gu.jpg

i've never seen this pic before. awsome. keaton's still the man. the batman

^

I actually was thinking about this picture last night. It's definitely one of my favorite pictures of Keaton in Burton's first BATMAN movie -- and it's even better (aka creepier) in black and white! I love how his eyes are just shrouded in darkness...

this picture is just really cool. they had to know they were doing something great

burton-89small.jpg

The lighting scheme Burton implemented just sets the mood off wonderfully, for a Batman film. There is this really good Batman picture that I like, but I have only seen it on the SE B89 dvd, and can't find it otherwise... But the one Doc posted is brillaint. As is the closeup of his grill. Good stuff.

Ok, to continue our Keaton celebration here I would like to challenge you all to mention your favourite Keaton moments in movies (Bat movies or not) and bits of his performance that you really enjoyed. We've had a bit of discussion on the previous thread about the Murder of the Waynes remembered scene and how Keaton spoke so much with his eye on that one. Let's talk about more scenes !

Hands down, one of my favorite Keaton scenes is when Steve (In Multiplicity) smacks a pizza on his face. As for the Batman movies... wow, too many to name.

My God, I can't even begin to name them all.....

What is probably his finest acting moment, aside from the Batman flicks, is the final moment of Clean and Sboer, where he finally admits that he had a drug and alcohol problem, after losing a woman he loved; someone who couldn't get off the stuff.

The entire film is a masterpiece, though. It was really his performance in Clean and Sober that got him cast as Batman, as I understand it, Marion Dougherty (casting director for Sober and B89) was the one who recommended him to Burton, based on his eyes, which got him the job in Sober.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
Ok, to continue our Keaton celebration here I would like to challenge you all to mention your favourite Keaton moments in movies (Bat movies or not) and bits of his performance that you really enjoyed. We've had a bit of discussion on the previous thread about the Murder of the Waynes remembered scene and how Keaton spoke so much with his eye on that one. Let's talk about more scenes !

aside from batman, one of my favorite keaton preformances is Johnny Dangerously. such a funny movie where mike's delivery kills everytime.

girl- johnny, i'm not wearing a bra

johnny- that makes two of us :woot:

Johnny Dangerously... great flick, severely underrated. I need that dvd too.

pdvd127oo5.png

:wow: :ninja: :yay: :woot: :ninja: :wow:

Why did they not keep this lighting scheme for this scene? Keep the shadows covering his mouth!!! That would've been on point.

I always liked the way Keaton looked in the Batmobile.

br_020.jpg

KnightBat said:

br_020.jpg

especially in returns. the car looked like an extension of him. bale has that to a lesser extent with the tumbler, but it's not the same.

ab38416 said:

that's an awsome looking statue. imo, the returns batsuit looks infinitely better when it's lit black. my biggest problem with the movie is the times where the suit has a blue tint from the lighting.

cryptic name said:
that's an awsome looking statue. imo, the returns batsuit looks infinitely better when it's lit black. my biggest problem with the movie is the times where the suit has a blue tint from the lighting.

At least blue's an key color from the comics, unlike neon green fron BF. :oldrazz:

KnightBat said:

br_020.jpg

Agreed. He always looked so incredibly business-oriented!

Black Mamba said:
Johnny Dangerously... great flick, severely underrated. I need that dvd too.

Indeed. It's the film that shows Keaton could have played the playboy side of Wayne if he'd been required to do so.

It should still be in print, and MGM put out a downright nice DVD. Widescreen, too... thankfully. No features, but unless a film is an "event" film, I'm not too anxious (sp?) for in-depth features anyway. A commentary would be nice, though... I'd love to hear Amy Heckerling talk about Dangerously. It's not often you see a female director (at least, not to my knowledge), and to do such a film.... a male-based comedy with an oft-objectified view of women.... must have been interesting. I wonder what prompted her to direct such a flick, and then to cast Keaton as a playboy type?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"