The MLB Thread

So glad the Rangers beat the Astros, I love Dusty Baker, but after the crap Houston pulled, I will never, ever root for them against anyone.
There's only 3 Astros left from 2017. I'm curious once they are gone, if people will still dislike them as an organization.

i don't like what they did, but i don't hold players accountable who didn't partake. I just don't particularly like the Astros

i recently learned 2 players from our Triple AAA team here (Tides) are playing in the World Series, so that's pretty cool. After some rough years down here and working hard to build our talent, it was really cool to see so many of our guys get called up to the O's and do really well AND, our Tides were still able to play well and win the whole thing

i have kinda started collecting minor league team t-shirts to wear to work, the weirder the name, the better.
so far i have:

Norfolk Tides
Aberdeen Iron Birds
Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
Rocket City Trash Pandas (a friend sent me when she lived there)
Montgomery Biscuits (a colleague i met in a work class sent this)

and I have a Savannah Bananas, but i'm not sure how to classify them.
I hear there are some great G-League basketball team names so i may have to look into those

i don't like what they did, but i don't hold players accountable who didn't partake. I just don't particularly like the Astros

i recently learned 2 players from our Triple AAA team here (Tides) are playing in the World Series, so that's pretty cool. After some rough years down here and working hard to build our talent, it was really cool to see so many of our guys get called up to the O's and do really well AND, our Tides were still able to play well and win the whole thing

i have kinda started collecting minor league team t-shirts to wear to work, the weirder the name, the better.
so far i have:

Norfolk Tides
Aberdeen Iron Birds

I hear there are some great G-League basketball team names so i may have to look into those
I essentially blame the ownership for allowing that to happen.......and......I've never liked the Astros anyway. LOL

It's not a minor league team, but you need a UC Santa Cruz Fighting Banana Slugs shirt.

I essentially blame the ownership for allowing that to happen.......and......I've never liked the Astros anyway. LOL

It's not a minor league team, but you need a UC Santa Cruz Fighting Banana Slugs shirt.

*googles*

i'd wear one

inbox me your paypal and we'll talk lol
Don't do paypal. Maybe you'd prefer my bank's routing/checking account numbers, my SS #, address, mother's maiden name, and date of birth??

EDIT: Maybe you should change you signature (or whatever that thing is called) to "I lay around too much". :wink:

Last edited:
Don't do paypal. Maybe you'd prefer my bank's routing/checking account numbers, my SS #, address, mother's maiden name, and date of birth??

EDIT: Maybe you should change you signature (or whatever that thing is called) to "I lay around too much". :wink:
MYU3UPc.gif

ouch

lol

so far i have:

Norfolk Tides
Aberdeen Iron Birds

If you don't buy any of the following, I question your sense of humor.
Amarillo Sod Poodles
Akron Rubber Ducks

Amarillo Sod Poodles
Akron Rubber Ducks

My eyesight must be really going.....when I first read it, I saw a different vowel in "Ducks". :funny:

Amarillo Sod Poodles
Akron Rubber Ducks

i have looked at both multiple times.

some of the ones i'm looking into next are:
Cedar Rapids Kernels
Albuquerque Isotopes
Sugar Land Space Cowboys

i am also fond of the Flying Chanclas, which is an alternate for San Antonio (i think)

i can probably get Charlotte and Chattanooga fairly easy as I have relatives that live there. and the next time I'm in Richmond, i'll look for the Flying Squirrels

i have looked at both multiple times.

some of the ones i'm looking into next are:
Cedar Rapids Kernels
Albuquerque Isotopes
Sugar Land Space Cowboys

i am also fond of the Flying Chanclas, which is an alternate for San Antonio (i think)

i can probably get Charlotte and Chattanooga fairly easy as I have relatives that live there. and the next time I'm in Richmond, i'll look for the Flying Squirrels
Albuquerque Isotopes is frelling classic. My union represented Los Alamos National Lab staff and we had a big conference out there. I think I got in at about 5AM after dinner. We shut down a Mexican restaurant across the street from the hotel and I guess they just said "screw it....these people aren't leaving, so we might as well hang out with them". The last leg of our journey was to drop off Goldie (the waitperson) home because there wasn't any public transportation.

I've got to check out their jerseys.

EDIT.....I like the red better than the black t-shirt, but I'd love to get a jersey. That logo with the "A" on it is awesome.

Last edited:
I know it's only game 1, but that Rangers win last night over the D-backs is one of those games that can be a back breaker. What a horrible way to lose a game for AZ. I'm glad for Seager. That was some WS MVP kinda S***.

EDIT: It sort of reminds me of what Kirk Gibson did to the "invincible" A's.

Last edited:
I am so sick of watching these home plate umpires screw up games.....especially when it's the WS. Take this aspect of the game out of their hands......please.....

I mean I’ve seen a few graphics showing some umpires who are 98% and above consistently. Why aren’t they the ones getting the big games?

If Angel Hernandez was scheduled for my game, I’d wanna boycott or protest. Whatever they call it in MLB.

Texas Rangers are up 3-1, but it's not over yet. They were up 3-2 in 2011 but ended up losing two in a row against the Cardinals.

Texas Rangers are up 3-1, but it's not over yet. They were up 3-2 in 2011 but ended up losing two in a row against the Cardinals.
It's not over yet, BUT, as a (not so?) recovering statistician, here's how I see it.

Say the teams are somewhat evenly matched. Each game is about a 50/50 shot. AZ has to win 3 in a row. So .5x.5x.5=.125 or a 1 in 8 chance for the D-backs to sweep; and that's not taking into consideration that the Rangers have 2 of the next 3 at home.

It's not over, but the odds aren't good. In fact, if you're an AZ fan, they're damn bad.

It's not over yet, BUT, as a (not so?) recovering statistician, here's how I see it.

Say the teams are somewhat evenly matched. Each game is about a 50/50 shot. AZ has to win 3 in a row. So .5x.5x.5=.125 or a 1 in 8 chance for the D-backs to sweep; and that's not taking into consideration that the Rangers have 2 of the next 3 at home.

It's not over, but the odds aren't good. In fact, if you're an AZ fan, they're damn bad.

The issue is that the Rangers have not been great in the postseason at home. That is why they need to finish it tonight.

The issue is that the Rangers have not been great in the postseason at home. That is why they need to finish it tonight.
The past performances from many years back has very little to do with the current team. All it's going to take is one bad outing from the D-backs over the next 3 games and the series is probably over. Even with 3 good outings, they could still lose.

Regardless of what the Rangers did over 10 years ago, the deck is stacked against AZ, Could they win? Sure, but their outlook is very, very poor.

The past performances from many years back has very little to do with the current team. All it's going to take is one bad outing from the D-backs over the next 3 games and the series is probably over. Even with 3 good outings, they could still lose.

Regardless of what the Rangers did over 10 years ago, the deck is stacked against AZ, Could they win? Sure, but their outlook is very, very poor.
It's in reference to this current postseason. I don't know what their home record is overall in postseasons past. They lost all three games of the ALCS at home. Overall they are 2-4 at home this postseason. Rangers fans are not over what happened in 2011 and finishing it tonight can wipe away the stench of the 2011 World Series.

Last edited:
It's in reference to this current postseason. I don't know what their home record is overall in postseasons past. They lost all three games of the ALCS at home. Overall they are 2-4 at home this postseason. Rangers fans are not over what happened in 2011 and finishing it tonight can wipe away the stench of the 2011 World Series.
Finishing it over any of the next 3 games will wipe away the stench, but I don't think the outcome of the series, no matter what it is, will in any way rest on Ranger fans. Winning 10 games on the road (esp in the postseason) is a statistical abnormality and I don't think it's indicative of what will happen tonight. During the regular season, they played about .625 ball at home and .500 on the road. That, to me, is much more of an indication of what to expect as it's a 162 game sample size of a given team.

My whole point is that they should be prohibitive favorites (haven't checked LV odds) to win this series and performance from 2010 and 2011 doesn't, IMO, play into what happens over the next 3 games. The top of the Rangers order seems to be heating up and that bodes ill for AZ.

I have no dog in this fight and am just analyzing it as I see it.

EDIT: Just checked the Vegas line and, siphoning out the grift of the house, the Rangers are probably about 9-1 favorites to take it.......about what I calc'ed.

Last edited:
And, obviously, all of the probability stuff just works sometimes....well, maybe a lot of the time, but, as I used to tell some of my students, "The odds gods can be cruel". Congrats to the Rangers and AZ. Your teams did great.

HFS!!!!! (The first words out of my mouth when I heard this) Shohei Ohtani signed a 10 year deal with the Dodgers for $700 M.....:thud::thud::thud:

I suspect this won't help their salary cap situation........

EDIT: in other MLB news, the Giants sign Tsutsugo and Jeffries to minor league contracts.....more to follow....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"