The Movie Critic - Tarantino’s Next/Last(?)

I still really want Gary Oldman to work with QT.
He kind of did already. Even though he didn't direct it, I consider True Romance to be an honorary Tarantino film.

drexl-whiteboyday.gif

He kind of did already. Even though he didn't direct it, I consider True Romance to be an honorary Tarantino film.

drexl-whiteboyday.gif
And Drexel is exactly why I want more.

And Drexel is exactly why I want more.
I do miss Oldman playing psychopaths all the time, Tarantino could write another good one for him.

Makes sense. He's worked with Tarantino a lot. I'm hoping this is more of an ensemble so we get to see as many of his regulars as possible if it's his last hurrah.

Am I the only one who thinks Tarantino won't be able to help himself from breaking his promise to put a cap on the amount of films he makes? His passion for film and his ego is such that I don't think he'll be able to stop himself.

Source: armchair psychology.

I think Tarantino is a really smart businessman too. I think he'll do another film after his "final" tenth one, but it may be a longer stretch of time before his 11th or 12th entry. I don't see him making another 10 movies though.

I actually can see him sticking to screenwriting and playwriting.

Does directing television count? He could have a lot of fun making miniseries.

I like Pitt (at least as an actor) but I'd prefer if he's not the lead in this.

Probably not going to happen, but considering the subject matter and how relatively close in time period this is going to be, it would be great if he played Cliff Booth again.

Hope this isn't as boring as Hollywood was, but going back to the Pitt well could go either way.

Hollywood was the literal opposite of boring for me.

I love OOATIH but I can also see why it's not for everyone. I don't think people expected such a chill, laid back movie from Tarantino. Personally I found The Hateful Eight more of a chore to get through than Hollywood even though I enjoyed that one too.

Overall, I enjoyed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but it's definitely a self-indulgent movie and a bit of an endurance test, but it has a lot of nice qualities I enjoy. I feel it's immersive in a way that few movies are right now by not just the visual production values but the sound and feel. It felt like a nice sensory trip back in time.

Also that scene where Cliff went to the ranch had me feeling very tense. I thought there was no way Cliff was getting out of there alive. So Tarantino undeniably has talent, and he knows what he's doing behind the camera.

My reading is that Tarantino was sort of fictionalizing a real-life tragedy and horrific event and using it to make this odd little fairy tale. A Hollywood fairy tale set in the 1960s.

It wouldn't surprise me if The Movie Critic has a similar vibe.

I didn't care for OUATIH myself. It felt unfocused, and I just wasn't interested in the story. It's still annoying to remember Pitt won an Oscar for just wondering around and acting cool for three hours.

If Pitt is really the lead for The Movie Critic, that's the most boring possible outcome, IMO.

OUATIH is the definition of a hangout movie. I still think it does a great magic trick at the end the way it manages to tie all of its threads together in a hugely entertaining fashion. But I get how it's not for everyone.

Having just read Tarantino's Cinema Speculation book and learning more about his upbringing and how deep his passion for movies and specifically that era of movies goes, it makes all the more sense to me that his last projects would be stuff like OUATIH and now The Movie Critic. He seems to be closing out his career with a more personal/retrospective sort of approach and I enjoy that personally because I think it's honest with where he's at in his life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"