Homecoming The Next Spider-Man - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I just do something I am not aware of? :funny:

Possibly, since many people claim that Peter should be handsome and the term 'dorky' could imply average-below average in looks.

Not my own feelings of course, but they are present among these threads. :funny:

I mean that in the real world, if you pick out a given 15 - 25 year old, there's a broad range of ages that a person that age might be perceived as. For instance, when I was 22, I was mistaken for a 14 year old. One of my co-workers last year thought I was 17 or 18; I was 27. My other co-workers, who tried to guess my age, thought I was 19 or 20. There are other people who at the age of 15 or 16 are able to convincingly pass as an adult well enough to buy alcohol. I looked like a ten year old at that time. Black kids between the age of 10 to 17 are actually perceived to be about 4.5 years older than they actually are, which is a problem that is probably better to discuss in another topic, but it says something about how our perceptions of someone's age are highly contingent on factors like race, but also height, facial maturity, jawline, physical size, height, and so forth.

In any case, my point is that this dogmatic assertion that there is a particular way that a person of a particular age looks and that you can identify this consistently and accurately is silly. It's an easy ad-hoc reason for ruling him out by default, but it's not based in anything real.
It is very simple. Peter will be in high school for at least one. Considering the way MCU sequels works, chances are Peter will still be in high school come the sequel. That means that the person playing Peter needs to look like a teen not just now, but in 4 years.

And while there is a wide array of how young people look, we are going for a specific archetype. You wouldn't have cast LeBron James or Greg Oden as high schoolers back when they were 18. They looked like they were in their 30s. And that is what is important here, how old the actor looks and will look in a few years. Also, as time has gone on in Hollywood, it has become more and more common to actually cast teens as teens.

:cwink:

Possibly, since many people claim that Peter should be handsome and the term 'dorky' could imply average-below average in looks.

Not my own feelings of course, but they are present among these threads. :funny:
Ah, yeah that isn't how I see dorky. Looking dorky doesn't preclude one looking handsome imo.

So we're definitely getting a very funny and quippy Spider-Man according to Feige. That means they're not going to cast an actor and then adjust Spidey/ Peter to that actor.

So they should find someone who is naturally very funny and not someone who has to learn it. In his audition he'll have to knock that aspect out of the park. So if Asa is too dry and can't be funny without feeling forced, then no matter how good a dramatic actor he is, he won't get the part because they're not just doing another dramatic Maguire-esque Spidey again.

I can finally say 100% that I trust Marvel will nail the casting. Just look at their track record. Before I was telling myself to trust them, but now I fully believe it.

A reminder to everyone......uncensored cursing in any form is not allowed on the Hype....that includes quoting a post that has it in it.

It is very simple. Peter will be in high school for at least one. Considering the way MCU sequels works, chances are Peter will still be in high school come the sequel. That means that the person playing Peter needs to look like a teen not just now, but in 4 years.

And while there is a wide array of how young people look, we are going for a specific archetype. You wouldn't have cast LeBron James or Greg Oden as high schoolers back when they were 18. They looked like they were in their 30s. And that is what is important here, how old the actor looks and will look in a few years. Also, as time has gone on in Hollywood, it has become more and more common to actually cast teens as teens.
IW 1 and 2 and his first solo will be filmed next year. The year after that they will likley film another solo, possibly both the 2nd and third. This means whoever plays pp needs to look like a teen for 2-3 more years. After that Peter in the mcu will graduate, and will no longer be a teen. As i stated before, if an actual 15 yr old was cast for cw, we would end up having a 17 yr old portraying a 20-21 year old, if a 23 yr old were cast it would end up being a 25 yr old portraying a 20-21 yr old. The actor should only look like a teen the next couple years, then needs to be able to dress like an adult without looking like hes 13. Going with someone older whos age look wont change much will actually help because of this weird time warp in the MCU.

If the recent success and praise of the Daredevil cast is anything to go by Marvel is A+ in the casting department.

So we're definitely getting a very funny and quippy Spider-Man according to Feige. That means they're not going to cast an actor and then adjust Spidey/ Peter to that actor.

So they should find someone who is naturally very funny and not someone who has to learn it. In his audition he'll have to knock that aspect out of the park. So if Asa is too dry and can't be funny without feeling forced, then no matter how good a dramatic actor he is, he won't get the part because they're not just doing another dramatic Maguire-esque Spidey again.

Where did you hear this? Is there another interview that was done with Feige or is it an extended one of the one released erlier.

I can finally say 100% that I trust Marvel will nail the casting. Just look at their track record. Before I was telling myself to trust them, but now I fully believe it.
I do to. ESPECIALLY if they are doing it the way Dark Raven described. I think in all honesty the Pp role is eisier for them to nail. Anyone can say things a certain way and everyone can play an awkward person. Not as many people can say lines in a way that people will laugh because.of them. For example, and this isnt the only great comedic guy out there... but... Dylan. When he does interviews, and even in his acting for tw, evrrything he says, if it isnt super dramatic.and serious, will come out in a silly tone. Its just charisma or something. He isnt afraid to look silly on camera and is fine to admit when he is. Teo has some of that too, though ive only seen him do that in interviews and youtube videos, not in any movie acting.

Also, as time has gone on in Hollywood, it has become more and more common to actually cast teens as teens.

This certainly is true in some situations. Yet, how many YA novels have been adapted to film lately? And how many are casting teens as their leads? Not many, or our potential list of "teen actors who have done a movie or two" would certainly be higher. And of those films that did cast teens, how many do you think the acting was worth writing home about?

There's a reason people keep bringing up Harry Potter, and that's because it's one of the few cases where it was teens actually playing teens. Now, I think they did a passable job in that case, but they were A) During the height of Harry Potter mania and B) The first people to ever play those roles.
That's not true for Spider-Man. We've had two different actors play the role in recent memory along with five movies. You can't really just ride off the Spider-Man buzz.

Also see this quote from TV Tropes on Dawson Casting:
Ultimately realize that that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with this trope, all forms of entertainment are about the illusion and with that in mind what really matters is if you believe in the character. At the same time this is not about age discrepancies, just being three or four years older doesn't mean the production is "trying to pull a fast one" on the audience. If anything finding a 19 year old to play a 17 year old is well ahead of the curve.

Maybe someone 16 will happen and be amazing. But for now, I'd be more interested in adults--guys eighteen or above. Who knows though. Que sera, sera.

As for the dorky, attractive nonsense. I'm just going to agree with this post on NeoGAF.

If the recent success and praise of the Daredevil cast is anything to go by Marvel is A+ in the casting department.

The Daredevil cast is what made me finally say "Marvel's track record is awesome and I'm not worried who they cast anymore." But, I will say my one thing is the guy needs to be able to fit in among the Avengers. They can't get someone who looks like he's being babysit by Captain America.

Did you notice one of the Russain guys was the bling wherewolf on Teen Wolf? Y'know, that show Dylan is on. Marvel probably looked through other actors on that tv show... just sayin'!
#DylanForSpiderman

IW 1 and 2 and his first solo will be filmed next year. The year after that they will likley film another solo, possibly both the 2nd and third. This means whoever plays pp needs to look like a teen for 2-3 more years. After that Peter in the mcu will graduate, and will no longer be a teen. As i stated before, if an actual 15 yr old was cast for cw, we would end up having a 17 yr old portraying a 20-21 year old, if a 23 yr old were cast it would end up being a 25 yr old portraying a 20-21 yr old. The actor should only look like a teen the next couple years, then needs to be able to dress like an adult without looking like hes 13. Going with someone older whos age look wont change much will actually help because of this weird time warp in the MCU.

This has been my thought process. Let's just say:

2017: 16
2018: 17
2019: 18
2020: 19
2021: 20
2022: 21
2023: 22
2024: 23

If the movies are spaced out the way Iron Man's were, we would have a solo movie in 2017, 2019, and 2022 (2008, 2010, 2013 for Iron Man), or when Spider-Man is 16, 18, and 21 (which I suppose would be worked as a time-jump, near the end of his time in college?). Or they could try to do a solo film in consecutive years - say, sophomore, junior, and senior years in 2017, 18, and 19. I think the worry there would be over-saturation - a movie every year, plus appearances in other characters' films, plus two Avengers films in 2018 and 2019? It's a bit much.

The Daredevil cast is what made me finally say "Marvel's track record is awesome and I'm not worried who they cast anymore." But, I will say my one thing is the guy needs to be able to fit in among the Avengers. They can't get someone who looks like he's being babysit by Captain America.
My thoughts exactly. I want him to fit into the MCU. For that to happen, he.can be a 16 year old, but he should look like an older teen. The difference? One is based on avg look for an age, the other is the older looking teen. All in all what I mean is he shouldnt look like a young teen who is 16. He should not have a babyface imo. He should be mature enough to talk to adults as almost eauals, even though he nows they look down on him. Sorta the way teens are in teen wolf. They look up to the adults, but that doesnt mean they call theyr dad daddy, or call their older friends Mr. Lastname. They are not gradeschoolers, but not goofy teenagers either.

I'm 30 years old and I still call my father Daddy and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

This has been my thought process. Let's just say:

2017: 16
2018: 17
2019: 18
2020: 19
2021: 20
2022: 21
2023: 22
2024: 23

If the movies are spaced out the way Iron Man's were, we would have a solo movie in 2017, 2019, and 2022 (2008, 2010, 2013 for Iron Man), or when Spider-Man is 16, 18, and 21 (which I suppose would be worked as a time-jump, near the end of his time in college?). Or they could try to do a solo film in consecutive years - say, sophomore, junior, and senior years in 2017, 18, and 19. I think the worry there would be over-saturation - a movie every year, plus appearances in other characters' films, plus two Avengers films in 2018 and 2019? It's a bit much.
I agree to an extent. I would also add that I don't think they should release a spiderman film between the IWs. Why? Same reason it would be horribly if they came out with a new "Agent Coulson" movie and released it during the sheild hydra breakdown. If a movie is released during an event which affects a character so much, that characters movie will have to have too much of a focus on the event and a response to it. If a spidey solo is released between the IW then he shouldny shouldnt be in the first one, and he shouldnt be recruited until.the end of his solo, or the beggining of the next IW film.

I'm 30 years old and I still call my father Daddy and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

I've always called my dad dad, even when I was younger. It really does depend on the person I guess. I hope you didnt take what I said as an insult, thinking I meant that it is somehow immature to call your father daddy. I just mean to say that the seriotypical kid would call their dads daddy, and the stereotypical teen would call him dad. :)

tumblr_mduwamDW211ro0r7uo1_500.gif

tumblr_mduwamDW211ro0r7uo2_500.gif

I'd like an order of this, please. :woot:

I've always called my dad dad, even when I was younger. It really does depend on the person I guess. I hope you didnt take what I said as an insult, thinking I meant that it is somehow immature to call your father daddy. I just mean to say that the seriotypical kid would call their dads daddy, and the stereotypical teen would call him dad. :)
Oh I didn't mean that post in a harsh way, I was just putting it out there that some people call their parents Mommy or Daddy well past the kid years.

Now with Peter Parker in 15-16 age range confirmed more of a chance of this being like Spectacular!

tumblr_mduwamDW211ro0r7uo1_500.gif

tumblr_mduwamDW211ro0r7uo2_500.gif

I'd like an order of this, please. :woot:

Much like every live action version of Batman disappoints me compared to Kevin Conroy, every live action version of Spider-Man is going to disappoint me compared to Josh Keaton. :(

Did you notice one of the Russain guys was the bling wherewolf on Teen Wolf? Y'know, that show Dylan is on. Marvel probably looked through other actors on that tv show... just sayin'!
#DylanForSpiderman
I did. I believed he played the Alpha of the Alpha's Ducelion. His character much like Daredevil was also blind and saw everything in red. Never loose hope man. That being said I'm still for Asa.

I want to see someone with a small figure take on massive enemies like Kingpin and Rhino and get thrown around by Ock and lift cars and trucks. It'll make the audience go "Holy ****".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"