The next Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. So they are probably both true, and false at the same time.

Last edited:
How much of a graphical leap short of photorealism can we get at this point?

I guess I see this differently to most but I don't think we're close to photo-realism at all even in the very best looking games. Some current AAA games don't even look that good. Avatar isn't photo-realistic to me and getting anywhere near that standard would be a crazy jump for consoles.

This gen still cant get hair right. In most games it still stands out as looking very artificial and stiff even in the best character models. I really hope thats one thing that improves next gen

This gen still cant get hair right. In most games it still stands out as looking very artificial and stiff even in the best character models. I really hope thats one thing that improves next gen
This. Hair still looks too clumpy or fake. Teeth also don't look right most of the time. Gotta fix those things first.

How much time do you guys spend looking at video game hair and teeth? I can think of many, many things that should take precedence over that.

How much time do you guys spend looking at video game hair and teeth? I can think of many, many things that should take precedence over that.
well there are which is why hair tends to always get the short end of the stick. Is it a big deal or should be the top priority when it comes to developing? No, but we are talking about next gen here in regards to in what ways graphics can improve and thats one thing that could be improved when it comes to the graphical integrity of character. I hope they dont go into the next gen and it isnt much different than what we are getting here, as developers still have trouble making it look natural

I hope Xbox 3 ends up looking similar to the original Xbox than any of the 360's,I'd also like color options at launch between white/black and maybe silver/metallic blue&metallic green than one color for the first few models then another for better models

I expected it as an app But not to be this big,Pretty cool I guess

I hope that means we'll be able to talk to people who are on the computer/phone through XBL with Skype, instead of it just using Skype's tech.

That sounds pretty awesome! Assuming it's Skype and not Xbox Live Voice Chat powered by Skype. The difference? Free party-chat and free 1-to-1 video chat (as in you should be able to do it with a silver membership), and then reserve party video-chat to xbox live Gold (which you can also access via a computer using your live account).

Microsoft Hardware Open House

Please join us for an exclusive open house on January 24th in the new Microsoft Technology Center in our Silicon Valley Campus in Mountain View. We will be showcasing some exciting devices, including the Xbox 360, Kinect, Surface, Windows 8 on an 82” touchscreen from Perceptive Pixel, and our newly launched SmartGlass application. We’ll have leading engineers from our hardware, manufacturing, and software teams on-hand to speak about what Microsoft has in store for the future.

As a very special bonus, Alex Kipman, one of the revolutionary minds behind the Kinect, will be delivering our keynote about the future vision for Microsoft and how we are working to join together software and hardware into meaningful, exciting hardware devices in the years to come.

Wasn't people saying the PS3 had a clear graphics advantage over the 360 when the consoles were coming out? Than in no time you had people comparing the two with little to no difference. I actually thought the 360 looked better in some cases.
Yep, & the 2nd post on this page is one which says XBox is the more powerful lol. :woot:

Wasn't people saying the PS3 had a clear graphics advantage over the 360 when the consoles were coming out? Than in no time you had people comparing the two with little to no difference. I actually thought the 360 looked better in some cases.
Most cross platform games look better on the 360 because I read it is easier for developers to play with the 360, but I haven't seen a game like Heavy Rain on the 360.

And that's what held the PS3 down. I'm not going to say the 360 being less powerful didn't have an effect (because it did), but PS3 in general I've heard was harder to create games for.

I think PS3 exclusives for the most part have looked better than 360 games. I think theres definetly a graphic advantage that focus simply on the PS3's hardware and utilizing more of its potential than those that develop with the 360 also in mind

Most cross platform games look better on the 360 because I read it is easier for developers to play with the 360, but I haven't seen a game like Heavy Rain on the 360.
MGS4 back in 2008 was clearly better than anything the 360 had to offer at the time. In addition to Heavy Rain, the Uncharted series has continued to set the bar for this console generation

Interesting,I love the part about both new systems should be reducing RROD/YLOD and about both being much more like gaming PC's than the 360&PS 3
Yeah, on the 2nd point I've read this quite a few times. Should mean that development will be easier for both systems than it was this gen and porting between PS4, 360 & PC will be a much more streamlined process.

I think PS3 exclusives for the most part have looked better than 360 games. I think theres definetly a graphic advantage that focus simply on the PS3's hardware and utilizing more of its potential than those that develop with the 360 also in mind

MGS4 back in 2008 was clearly better than anything the 360 had to offer at the time. In addition to Heavy Rain, the Uncharted series has continued to set the bar for this console generation
Pretty much anything Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog put out this generation set the bar for console graphics. The Last of Us and that game starring Ellen Page look stunning as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"