Work underway on xbox3 "Phoenix".

Mentok

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.gamekyo.com/news28233_phoenix-code-name-for-the-future-xbox-prototype.html

Don't expect Microsoft to even begin talking about it anytime soon. Its still many years from release. This is strictly Research and development.

According to our sources, Microsoft has already put a code name on its future Xbox prototype for the developers : it's Phoenix. We still don't have any technical specs for the moment, but the Phoenix is said to be a real evolution compared to the Xbox 360. Some studios in North of America have already begun projects on this prototype. We hope to learn more about this soon.

Is this one doesn't smash everything MS is outta the race.

But that was already to be expected.
I can go even further, Sony is already working on the PS4 too.

Is this one doesn't smash everything MS is outta the race.
How so?
People seem to forget that the 360 is a huge sucess.
Why?
Because, even if they end losing against the PS3 in the long run, they already proved that the Playstation brand is not what it was 2 generations ago, that there is a place for them in the business.
Let´s be realistic about it, people say that the 360 is not all that because, with one year ahead, they are in second place, and can end on falling to 3rd place all of a sudden, but people seem to forget that they are going against two gigantic brands, Nintendo and Playstation, the last being the best selling console (PS2) ever.
The Xbox is still seem as the newcomer....
And one the reasons why it isn´t doing better having 1 year ahead is because, not only brand recognition, but because the RROD (people are still afraid to buy it).
Imagine if there was no RROD...

Isildur´s Heir;15261298 said:

How so?
Why?
Because, even if they end losing against the PS3 in the long run, they already proved that the Playstation brand is not what it was 2 generations ago, that there is a place for them in the business.
Let´s be realistic about it, people say that the 360 is not all that because, with one year ahead, they are in second place, and can end on falling to 3rd place all of a sudden, but people seem to forget that they are going against two gigantic brands, Nintendo and Playstation, the last being the best selling console (PS2) ever.
And one the reasons why it isn´t doing better having 1 year ahead is because, not only brand recognition, but because the RROD (people are still afraid to buy it).

Agreed. And the bolded part is why the Phoenix will hopefully do even better than the 360. With all the problems Microsoft has had to deal with regarding faulty hardware and such, I could guaruntee with 99% certainty that the Pheonix will be solid as a rock as far as that goes. I highly doubt Microsoft would make such a costly mistake twice.

the only improvement i can think is a more "desktop" approach to the interface.. and blue ray

the only improvement i can think is a more "desktop" approach to the interface.. and blue ray

You don't think a better engine?:huh: But yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with a "desktop" approach with Marketplace.

Isildur´s Heir;15261298 said:
And Nintendo is already working on their next console (whatever the hell they'll call it) too.

How so?
Why?
I do agree with you there, but I think Microsoft had higher expectations this time around. No one expected the Wii to be the hit it was and Microsoft was trying to get the #1 spot this time but now it's more likely when all is said and done that they'll end up in #3 position.

Plus despite all they've done to try and court it, they still failed to capture the Japanese market. And with the European market now the biggest video game market, they still have this perception of being a North American console.

To be fair, I don't think that is because of what Microsoft has done in making a great console, but because of Sony asstardedly launching a $599 US Dollars video game machine that had no games, no rumble, and a horrible PR machine.

If Sony released the Playstation 3 at a much cheaper price on par with the Xbox 360 they probably would have done much better.

Agreed.

That I don't agree on. They were the newcomer last generation, not so much anymore. They developed a rather good brand recognition last generation so to say that they're still seen as a newcomer, especially when it has a massive first party games division and backed by one of the biggest corporations in the world is rather off don't you think?

Microsoft would obviously be doing a lot better if it weren't for the RROD plaguing their image.

To be fair, I don't think that is because of what Microsoft has done in making a great console, but because of Sony asstardedly launching a $599 US Dollars video game machine that had no games, no rumble, and a horrible PR machine.

If Sony released the Playstation 3 at a much cheaper price on par with the Xbox 360 they probably would have done much better.
This part makes it sound like the only reason the MS is doing good is because the Sony screwed up. Achievements have become a big hit as has XBLA, the "ubiquitous-ness" of their OS is great, their online is the best and they have done a great job of capturing the "core" market with a steady stream of games that appeal to them.

For Sony to have released a system at a cheaper price it would have had o have taken out the very things that give it an edge on the 360, namely wireless and Bluray which would have probably just made the 360 look even better in comparison.

This part makes it sound like the only reason the MS is doing good is because the Sony screwed up. Achievements have become a big hit as has XBLA, the "ubiquitous-ness" of their OS is great, their online is the best and they have done a great job of capturing the "core" market with a steady stream of games that appeal to them.
Oh no, don't get me wrong. I hated the original Xbox but Microsoft turned around IMO and made a great console this time around. They've done a great job with their online system and courting third party developers as well. The vast majority of Microsoft's success with the Xbox 360 lies with Microsoft itself.

But Sony releasing an expensive console with no games and a horrible PR, that is going to turn off a lot of people who would have bought a PS3 to go to the Xbox 360 which was cheaper, had a good library of games, and didn't have idiots like Ken Kutaragi saying incredibly stupid things.

For Sony to have released a system at a cheaper price it would have had o have taken out the very things that give it an edge on the 360, namely wireless and Bluray which would have probably just made the 360 look even better in comparison.
I'm saying that if Sony sold their PS3 as is at a price on par with the Xbox 360, it would have done much better. Seriously, even with blu-ray and whatnot, no one in their right mind wants to buy a $600 console.

I do agree with you there, but I think Microsoft had higher expectations this time around. No one expected the Wii to be the hit it was and Microsoft was trying to get the #1 spot this time but now it's more likely when all is said and done that they'll end up in #3 position.
Plus despite all they've done to try and court it, they still failed to capture the Japanese market. And with the European market now the biggest video game market, they still have this perception of being a North American console.
Yes, no one expected Nintendo to be hit it was, and yes, Microsoft was going to be top, to be #1.
But to try to be #1 and actually do it are two diferent things...and no one can laugh at Microsoft if they end on failing.
Nintendo is around "forever" and the Playstation was a huge sucess from the get go.
Even so, the original Xbox made it to #2, that´s a huge deal to appear and win againts Nintendo.
About the markets...
The Japonese one is almost impossible for MS to grab, not because MS lacks in quality or something, but why would they go with the US console, when they have two national ones?
Besides, their tastes are very diferent from the western ones...
Europe is still up for grabs, and if we look at it as it is right now, the 360 is still ahead of the PS3 (ok, the diference is less than 1 million).
Besides, Europe worships the Playstation to the point of stupidity (i live here, i know), many don´t even what a xbox is, Playstation is almost another word for video game.

And why was that?
Pure arrogance, "we are the Playstation and everyone loves the Playstation", guess what, they were wrong.
That´s why, come what may, Sony is the big loser this generation, people are not willing "to sell their house" to buy a PS3.
But people bought a 360, people were willing to get to know the Xbox brand, and that is a gigantic sucess for Microsoft.
Once i read (don´t remember where nor did i ever found it again) that Microsoft have a 3 deal plan when it comes to the Xbox.
1st generation was to get brand recognition and gather a fanbase.
2nd generation was to consolidate that recognition and fanbase, get into other markets (Japonese and European) and expande that same fanbase
3rd generation, to be the #1 selling console

If we look at it, they doing exactly what they are aiming for

That I don't agree on. They were the newcomer last generation, not so much anymore. They developed a rather good brand recognition last generation so to say that they're still seen as a newcomer, especially when it has a massive first party games division and backed by one of the biggest corporations in the world is rather off don't you think?
But they are, outside the US they are the newcomers

Microsoft would obviously be doing a lot better if it weren't for the RROD plaguing their image.
More even showing that the Playstation is losing strenght.
If people look at history, the Playstation was always "alone" when they won.
Besides, their biggest asset is Europe, which like i said before (or in my "bought a DS" thread) never got into the all console fever, until the Playstation arrived.
Sony had an all new market to explore, a market that belonged to the PC.
Sega was "dying" since the 16 bits era (blame it on the CD, they killed almost every console, except the SNES, because they gave up on it on the last minute; and the PC, which was the only one that became better because of it); and Nintendo, not only was still cartridge (outdated for some), they lost when Europe got the "war".

Last generation, once again, they had no one to go against them.
Sega died (once again, they were dying since the 16 bits), Nintendo was still trying to return to form after the previous generation, and the Xbox only arrived 1 year later and was a newcomer.
The last two years, the Xbox got a lot of momentum, which only made them #2, but made Sony tremble a bit and look at them as real competition.

Note that nothing i said was to make the Playstation feel inferior. I have a PS1 and PS2, will get a PS3 by September, but i´m not a big fan of Sony, but i´ll buy it for the games, there are some great ones outhere, and the developers can´t be blamed.

If you want a console to last next gen then MS is your best bet. After the 360 the next gen console is gonna be built to last.

Isildur´s Heir;15269378 said:
Yes, no one expected Nintendo to be hit it was, and yes, Microsoft was going to be top, to be #1.
Actually Sony was expected to be #1 until they screwed everything up.

But to try to be #1 and actually do it are two diferent things...and no one can laugh at Microsoft if they end on failing.

Nintendo is around "forever" and the Playstation was a huge sucess from the get go.
Even so, the original Xbox made it to #2, that´s a huge deal to appear and win againts Nintendo.
True.

About the markets...
The Japonese one is almost impossible for MS to grab, not because MS lacks in quality or something, but why would they go with the US console, when they have two national ones?
I always find that argument to be a load of BS. The reason why the original Xbox failed to grab the Japanese market was that it only had very few Japanese games exclusive to the console and most of them sucked the only ones that were worth getting were the ones made by Team Ninja and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

The same thing is happening with the Xbox 360. While they have done a great job courting Japanese third parties, they're still seen as the console of Halo 3, Gears of War, Grand Theft Auto IV, Bioshock, etc. It has the perception of being a very North American-centric console even though there are a lot more Japanese games on the Xbox 360.

Besides, their tastes are very diferent from the western ones...
Honestly IMO, Microsoft should just give up on the Japanese market. No matter how hard they try they have an image that they just can't get rid of.

Europe is still up for grabs, and if we look at it as it is right now, the 360 is still ahead of the PS3 (ok, the diference is less than 1 million).
Actually the PS3 has taken the lead in the European market. Only Microsoft says that they're still in the lead.

And why was that?
Pure arrogance, "we are the Playstation and everyone loves the Playstation", guess what, they were wrong.
That´s why, come what may, Sony is the big loser this generation, people are not willing "to sell their house" to buy a PS3.
Completely agree with you there, even if the PS3 was the #1 selling console, they'd still be the loser IMO.

But people bought a 360, people were willing to get to know the Xbox brand, and that is a gigantic sucess for Microsoft.
Once i read (don´t remember where nor did i ever found it again) that Microsoft have a 3 deal plan when it comes to the Xbox.
1st generation was to get brand recognition and gather a fanbase.
2nd generation was to consolidate that recognition and fanbase, get into other markets (Japonese and European) and expande that same fanbase
3rd generation, to be the #1 selling console

If we look at it, they doing exactly what they are aiming for
I heard about that as well but they aren't doing exactly what their aiming for. They ended up from being the #2 position console to a very likely #3 position. And they utterly failed to get into the Japanese market. I don't think they can get the #1 position next gen.

Note that nothing i said was to make the Playstation feel inferior. I have a PS1 and PS2, will get a PS3 by September, but i´m not a big fan of Sony, but i´ll buy it for the games, there are some great ones outhere, and the developers can´t be blamed.
Developers can be blamed in some circumstances. Valve had no excuse to do what they did with the Orange Box, that was just pure laziness. But Sony should have done a much, much better job making the system more friendly to developers.

I think I'll be settled with my 360, and then soon PS3...for a very long time. Atleast a decade. At least.

Anyone have an idea when the Blu Ray addition will be available? I remember hearing rumors it would be officially announced at E3 or something like that from a friend.

Edit: There is right now a live feed of E3 I'm currently watching, it's sexalicious.

remember, it will probably be about 4-5 years even before they come out, heck 6-10 even, all three systems rock and have a long shelf life until the new systems come out.

It's not surprising, since there's more than likely a division in Sony and Nintendo working on the next system, just like they were about this time last gen.

Anyone have an idea when the Blu Ray addition will be available? I remember hearing rumors it would be officially announced at E3 or something like that from a friend.

Edit: There is right now a live feed of E3 I'm currently watching, it's sexalicious.
Most likely not going to happen. MS just announced a partnership with Neflix and they already offer HD content on the marketplace. They are pushing for digital downloads and BR kind of takes away from that market. They will definetly add it in the next generation console, but I doubt the 360 will see a BR add on

i don't see how they can be working on a next gen console when the full potential of this generation hasn't even come close to what it will be in a few years.

the technology isn't even available yet that will take next gen systems leap so far as current gen sytems did over last.

and really, as exclusive titles are becoming more and more scarce due to ever rising production costs, by next gen, i'd imagine they'll be practically extinct, and something needs to be done about that.

i don't see how they can be working on a next gen console when the full potential of this generation hasn't even come close to what it will be in a few years.

Would you rather them sit on their asses until the 360 is out of production and then start working on it?

Working on your "next" product while your current one is still out there in the market is not something new, and is in fact, extremely common in all industries. And has been for quite some time, I might add.

Hell, I would bet that they started very early preliminary work on the "720" before the 360 was even on the shelves. Every company does it.

the technology isn't even available yet that will take next gen systems leap so far as current gen sytems did over last.

I don't know about that. But even if that were the case, that shouldn't stop them from designing the damn thing. You know, what they want it to look like, what features it will have, what the next iteration of the dashboard and Xbox Live will be like.

and really, as exclusive titles are becoming more and more scarce due to ever rising production costs, by next gen, i'd imagine they'll be practically extinct, and something needs to be done about that.

Who cares? The fewer exclusives, the better, I say.:o

Seeing as how exclusives are obviously very important to you however, I have to ask? What do you think needs to "be done about that" exactly?

companies always start work on their next console years in advance. The 360 is already almost 3 years old. The original Xbox only lasted 4 years.

Which is why they are working on developing the technology now. It wont be ready for a few years

Please, make sure this one has enough fans in it to keep it from over heating and giving us all the red ring of death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"