The next Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
that guy sounds like the biggest *****e ever. Some people really do not need to have Twitter
Yeah, Microsoft need to block his twitter. He's a timebomb! Nothing to be gained from arguing these points with fans over twitter. Announce any defence well thought out through official channels, not in a reactionary way that everyone will read into.

LOL...what an asshat. I his future is looking very bleak. doesn't he know how fickle gamers are (though they have every right to be in this case)?!? Just look at how the art director for DMC: Devil May Cry acted and what that ended up doing for that game's success...but here we're talking about an entire console.

Good luck appealing to your base there, Orthy.

Microsoft should just announce this damn thing & get it over with. This silence is not helping them at all

Wow. That Orthy guy is coming off like a major tool.

I'm already switching back to sony's PS4 for the exclusives alone. If the next xbox blocks used game OR requires a constant internet connection, then there is just no hope for it.

Both systems have **** going on gamers take issue with. Sony's non backwards compatibility, this always being online. If you want to play games, you gotta sacrifice one or the other.

Damn, I'm getting the feeling I'm going to be switching to PS4....

"Deal with It" is euphemism for "We're gonna get your $$$ anyways........."

Seriously, all Sony has to do is come out and confirm free "core" online features like online play, browsing, etc., and they've got me.

The "NextBox" sounds less appealing with each new rumor........

Wow, that guy is a ****. Sometimes my internet goes out, and you know what I do when it does? I play some single player games.

hahaha what a ****ing tool. Sony's looking better every day #dealwithit

Wow that guy is an absolute tool, he should be fired. If I were to say something like that to my customers which that is what he is basically doing, yeah I'd be fired, I know he is high up but everyone is replaceable. I thought the ps4 looked blah as hell, not one thing about it excited me and I don't think Sony will be able to do free online, if it does than it won't be around much longer. Free online especially in today's world is ridiculously expensive and they're damn close to pulling the plug as a company as it is but if I have to choose between a console with basically the exact same features the ones now have or one that requires always online, yeah I'm going with the ps4. Out of all 3 companies, I'm most shocked Microsoft would be doing it, they're the most greedy of the companies and always online seriously alienates a crowd of people. It may still be a rumor but its looking to be pretty confirmed at the moment

Wait, free online is expensive? Quick someone call the PC!!!

If always online does turn out to be true (which it's looking to be that way), I wonder if MS will be upfront about it? I'm already seeing all of the angry parents trying to get refunds because they bought their kids a Christmas present they can't use. Always online is a big restriction, and if an unknowing customer that doesn't have internet, or has a bad connection buys one....I can only imagine the rage when they think it's a faulty system, and we see gaming boards over run with messages of, "My x-box won't work", only to find out after an hour chatting with MS operators over the phone, to find out it's working as intended.

Right.

But you're also just *one* person over the internet, and anonymous at that. lol
That really isn't saying much.

Also, the fact that you're saying that you have zero interest in a console no one knows anything about, really sounds more like you have an agenda. How can one have zero interest in something they know nothing about?

Sony and SDF or the Sony Defense Force, have lots of fanboys, and corporate shills, who spread propaganda, BS, and lies, ALL OVER the internet, and websites and forums everywhere.

Hense The Console Wars LOL

-snip-

You have to understand, just because something can play games doesn't mean every gamer has to get excited. I've owned an NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube, but new Nintendo consoles just don't get me excited.I just feel nothing for the brand outside of Zelda, and it's handheld line. It's not a fanboy response, I just don't like Nintendo's current direction, it's a turn off.

Same with X-Box. I can understand why ppl like it. Personally, I don't, it's mostly due to the exclusives just not appealing to me. Mass Effect was the only must have, and it went multiplat. Plenty of their other exclusives end up on PC like Left4Dead.

Sony, and again I'm honestly not saying this as some rabid Sony fanboy, currently has the only exclusives I feel are good enough, and abundant enough to warrant a console purchase. Not to mention their exclusives tend to only appear on a Sony console, and not on PC as well as with X-Box. It's hard for me to imagine having enjoyed this console gen nearly as much if I hadn't played some of the PS3 exclusives (some of which ended up being my favorite games of this generation). Yet I honestly don't feel any regret in not having picked up a 360. Though I'm not ruling out picking up a Wii for $10 at some random yard sale to play Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword at some point down the road.

Even with Sony's exclusives though, when I thought it was going to block used games, and be always online too....I was ready to just go back to PC gaming. Now that it's not, coupled with it's usual exclusives, it's a buy for me. It's not being a fanboy, it's just what I enjoy, and prefer. I recognize the X-box brand is popular, and with good reason. It just doesn't appeal to me. I don't see the flashing X-Box logo, and start getting excited. You don't have to be part of the "Sony Defense Force" to not drool over every new MS gadget, and gaming device. Just because somethings new, and deals with gaming, doesn't mean it appeals to everyone.

Edit - Already regret typing this, as I just don't care about "console wars" stuff anymore, and don't want to get dragged in to a quote-a-thon.

Wait, free online is expensive? Quick someone call the PC!!!
How exactly do you think online services work? (Hint: not magic)

On a pc you're talking game by game so a developer can bear the individual costs of running a server for their chosen game for as long as they choose (it still costs though) but for XBox Microsoft offers to host servers for ALL games on their console That's a lot of games and that continual drain on cash comes from somewhere. From what I've seen they just keep them going for years on end even when the multiplayer population has completely died out.

Not all developers take up that offer (eg EA who use their own so they can abuse their customer base further & shut them down prematurely and charge for online passes) & some choose the peer to peer hosting route but then it's almost impossible to have a fair match.

Yes exactly, plus just having the service online like the xbla, the psn and what not. Its very expensive for the consoles to run online service.

How exactly do you think online services work? (Hint: not magic)

On a pc you're talking game by game so a developer can bear the individual costs of running a server for their chosen game for as long as they choose (it still costs though) but for XBox Microsoft offers to host servers for ALL games on their console That's a lot of games and that continual drain on cash comes from somewhere. From what I've seen they just keep them going for years on end even when the multiplayer population has completely died out.

Not all developers take up that offer (eg EA who use their own so they can abuse their customer base further & shut them down prematurely and charge for online passes) & some choose the peer to peer hosting route but then it's almost impossible to have a fair match.
Bingo! This. A publisher running 1 or a few games on a PC is NOT the same thing as Sony and MS hosting ALL games on their platform

I just think consoles have to be any different that how things work on the PC. I know it's not magic, I mean come on. But a free system can work if people let it. It does on the PC just fine. And I don't see why Sony should change now. Charging for all the streaming and the bells and whistles is fine, but the basic online play should be free on any system.

Official Statement on what was said yesterday

I wanted to give you the official Microsoft Statement regarding some comments you may have seen yesterday::

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

As frequent readers of my blog know, the moment we have news about our products I will be sharing all the details I can.

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/

I just think consoles have to be any different that how things work on the PC. I know it's not magic, I mean come on. But a free system can work if people let it. It does on the PC just fine. And I don't see why Sony should change now. Charging for all the streaming and the bells and whistles is fine, but the basic online play should be free on any system.
again, you cant compare the consoles to the PC and the fact that you are shows that you are missing the point.

Will the PS4 be free? I think it could go either way. We'll have to wait and see. I don't think Sony has quite made a decision on that yet. MS made tons of money off of Live (which is highly praised) this gen so it would be very tempting to follow suit. It would definetly alleviate the burden associated with the online costs and with the PS4 expected to be more connected with digital content and features than the PS3 ever was, one should expect the costs on the back end to increase. Someone is going to have to pay for that. I think its naïve to just assume that it will be all Sony

Last edited:
Meh. I don't really care if I am. Take that internet argument! *drops mic*

Server infrastructure costs are a part of the development budget for the game or for the developer/publisher as a whole. It's then factored into the price you pay for the game, extending all the way to the "online pass" stuff. You've always been paying for it one way or another in most cases. Microsoft just gouges people on top of all that by putting Netflix and online multiplayer behind an additional paywall. Sony has their own optional online subscription service called PS+ that is used for something very different.

Both systems have **** going on gamers take issue with. Sony's non backwards compatibility, this always being online. If you want to play games, you gotta sacrifice one or the other.
I doubt the Nextbox will be backwards compatible.

Deal with it, huh?

Wow, that guy sounds like a real d-bag. I NEVER play games online. The few times I have, I've hated it. I prefer my solitude when I play, not some 12 year old spewing homophobic slurs at me in a voice that hasn't cracked yet. I've been playing games on consoles since the 8-bit Sega Mastersystem. But if this is the future of games, then forget it. Anyway I was already going off of games. FPS's recycle the same stale gameplay year after year, and RPGs are great in the beginning until you figure out everything (character models, missions, castles, dragons) are just randomized patterns repeating themselves. The one game I've been looking forward to, Bioshock Infinite, finally came out. I'm going to play it through and then I'm done. Microsoft and the rest can have fun "dealing with" dwindling sales as casual gamers just download iPhone apps now. Being rude to your customer-base.... what a brilliant strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"